“Wonderful guide”

Punta Uva Dive Center
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had not dived since my certification dive over a year ago and was looking for a dive center that I felt comfortable with and would offer me a private dive. Guillermo was always prompt in answering my emails. He understood my situation and my nervousness. He supplied all I needed to feel comfortabe, including an english speaking dive master from Canada, where I am from! (Thanks Joel) They made me feel great and secure.

1  Thank MomTaxi

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were two friends who wanted to do the Padi scuba diving sertification, but we did not have many days to spare. Guillermo, the manager of the center, and our instructer, was very flexible, and helped us through all the dives necesary in two days. The "pool time", as all the other dives, were done in the wonderful, beautiful and warm carrabian ocean.

We were picked up from the bus station in Puerto Viejo (I think!), and brought to the center, where they kindly let us stay during our cours - all for free! All of the divemasters and the employees of the place were so kind and helpfull, always smiling and welcoming. The building is quite simple, and the rooms we were lent too, but is was all we needed and more! A room with two bunk beds and mosquito nets, with a simple bathroom AND a TV-room for those who would want to watch the videos for the theoretival part of the course during the stay.

We woke up in the morning to the sound of monkeys, birds and the ocean. What more can you wish for on holiday on a Costa Rican beach?? Oh yeah, to start the day scuba diving, cayaking out to some wonderful reeves, with the turquoise, warm wather splashing, the monkeys in the jungel and the buring sun and white beach as background, with a warm, funny, safe and caring scuba instructor ready to show you the wonders of the sea.

As mentioned, Argentinian Guillermo was our instructor, and he was wonderful at making us feel safe, and he explained every step of every new task, so that we always felt both safe and secure. We had never done any scuba diving of any sort before, but we were hooked, and I really hope I'll get to go back to Punta Uva to dive there again.

(And to all the scandinavians out there, and others who might like dark bread, or bran bread, or whatever its called (grovbrød, rugbrød!) - the rumer has it that Guilermo's Norwegian wife makes and sells bread! We never got around to try it, nor to ask if she was still doing that, but it is definitely worth checking out, after all the white bread of Latin America!)

All in all, we had a wonderful, crazy, amazing, beatiful time in Punta Uva, with some great people, in the most increadably stunning surroundings and got the best introduction to scuba diving.

The prices of the Padi course I believe are standarized to some degree, but we were given an very good price, in addition to the free stay, some free tasting of some delicious, freshly harvested seafood, and being driven too and fro the bus station and the supermarced to buy breakfast supplies.

I'm out of words to describe this place. Just go there try for you selves. Pura vida! Even in cold, wintery Norway, thinking about this place makes me warm, and take me of to summery Costa Rica.

En serio, vayan, que hermosura este lugar, es como si fuera sacado de una pelicula, o a lo mejor de un sueño totalmente loco. Guillermo y los otros chicos ahí son re piolas, pero también muy profesionales, y muy buenos instructores. Todo muy seguro, divertido y bello. Si tienen lugar, les dejan quedarse en el edificio del centro durante su estadía gratuito, y los buscan en la parada de autobús.

Jeg går god for dette stedet, senteret er enkelt og herlig uformelt, ingen luksusbolig, men helt perfekt for enhver backpacker og andre avslappa reisende. Folka er så bra, opplegget med dykking helt toppen, og omgivelsene.. WOW.

1  Thank Ingrid Maria N
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was here for 9 weeks to do my dive master course.
I started with nothing and had to do every single course.
Guillermo, the owner arranged a real nice price, for all the courses together.
He let me stay in the dive master house, on the second floor of the shop for free!
It is really nice, you have an own sleeping room, there is a TV room, and you have a bathroom and kitchen.
When i arrived in Puerto Viejo he picked me up and showed me the building and the area.

Guillermo self is a very nice man, he is funny and very professional at the same time.
He's dive masters and instructor are really nice, I had a really great time with them.
The shop itself is really close to the beach, it is only a 50 meter walk. All the nice dive spots of the area are very close to the shop, so you have small boat rides.
After a dive, you go back to the shop, and there is nice fruits, water and books waiting. There are a lot of books, so you can identify the animals or corals that you saw.
There are a lot of animals end corals at the dive spots, if you are in Puerto Viejo and you dive, don’t hesitate and go to Punta Uva beach and make an appointment, it is worth it.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

My wife got to experience Scuba Diving. The "pool" time is right out in the protected bay.
Not much coral, but lots of pretty fish and wildlife. Dive Masters were excellent. A nice walk along the beach from where we were staying.

1  Thank Ken M
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Punta Uva Dive Center embodies the essence of Puerto Viejo. Across the globe there are endless versions of beach vacation spots. Some come with Champagne, Hot Towells, and Air Conditioning, while others are nothing more than a sandy outpost with a few locals who can rent you a room. Puerto Viejo is not the type of place that has thousands of tourists with resorts and entertainment, nor is it a lonely outpost. It's a quaint and beautiful villiage of people from all around the globe who got their priorities right, or wrong, depending on what you believe is important in life.
Punta Uva Dive Center and it's owner, Guillermo, radiate the essence of the Pura Vida lifestyle. My wife and I just completed our Open Water Certification with Punta Uva Dive Center, and we have come home now with the feeling that we are part of a family in Punta Uva.
Guillermo picked us up at our Hostel every morning, took us home every day, and even picked us up for a ride into town as he picked up his beautiful kids from school one day. Between diving we discussed everything under the sun from philosophy to politics to world issues. This dive shop is small, providing a level of personal attention that is unequaled elsewhere, but is lacking in nothing other than champagne and fresh hot towells. I'll take idle time on a bench chatting with an instructor who gave up a career as a Lawyer to follow his passion for diving over the Luxury experience you might expect in the Virgin Islands every day of the week.
We have dove with this Dive Center twice over 2 years, and are now currently planning a return trip in October where we plan to dive 2 or 3 times per day for 5 days including a few night dives. Without a doubt we will return to this shop many times over the next few years and I absolutely recommend that if you crave adventure, appreciate sincere people who see you as more than another paycheck, and want to experience a part of the caribbean that most folks believe exists only in the distant past, you should not hesitate to contact Guillermo to schedule your next excursion. You will return home inspired, ready to sell everything you own and move to Puerto Viejo forever.

1  Thank rayduke