“Ardtara”

and 1 more site!
Ardtara Country House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Upperlands
Reviewed November 10, 2009

My wife Roz and I had visited Ardtara country house once before and always wanted to return. In September, as a surprise, for our friends birthday we arranged a stay.

It was Martin and Michelles first visit to Northern Ireland and we wanted it to be a special one. Having enjoyed my previous visit so I was nervous as to whether the return would live up to expectation. I need not have worried.

The house looks much the same , but with the addition of a down stairs guest room for those with disabilities.But what made the experience so wonderful was the attentiveness of the staff. It was like being in your own home, only better. The staff led by Valerie, give everyone a warm welcome. Nothing is to much trouble, even if it is late at night!!

I would strongly reccomend a stay and dine in at least once while there. The food is fantastic and produced locally and of course the Irish whiskey always helps.

I'm glad to say our friends were not dissapointed and hopefully will be returning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 29, 2009

Best service we have ever experienced. Greeted like family and treated like long lost friends.
Warm fire glowing in our bedroom was most pleasant surprise
We have stayed in many places and the only one that comes close is Rampsbeck in Ullswater. Adrtara is better and Valerie deserves praise. I note she is mentioned in most reviews and deservedly so. I hope the owner takes note!!.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My partner and I celebrated our four year anniversary at Ardtara. After a horrible drive from Dublin in the pouring rain, we were met by Valerie who whisked us up to our room to freshen up for dinner. The rooms were very much in keeping with the charm of the house, and as we entered, the warmth from the lit fire was very welcoming. Little touches like having a warm fire burning upon arrival make all the difference - particularly after a long, wet drive. The bed was incredibly comfortable - one of the best I've slept on in a long time - and the view out the window over the grounds was lovely to wake to in the morning.

The dinner was wonderful and the service was warm and efficient. The food was very well prepared and presented - and the chocolate tart was outstanding! The only, very minor comment I would make is that the range of menu items was limited, and my dietary preferences meant that eating there two nights in a row would have required me to have the same meal again. Having said that, it's a small restaurant and having a more extensive menu may not be feasible.

Ardtara is located close enough to the north coast with all its various sightseeing options. It is a wonderful old manor house with a terrifically friendly staff. We didn't get a chance to explore the grounds of the house, but there seemed to be a lot of wildlife and even a few little bunnies. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I was fortunate enough to have booked my wedding at Ardtara House for September 2009. The staff (especially Valerie & Nicola) were fabulous during the year with my preparations. I initially wanted to get married on the grounds but with the time of year we had agreed on the dining area for our service. But what I didn't expect was a fantastic Indian Summer and I got Married on the grounds (stunning) with 21 degrees and the sun baking. Valerie along with the florist(Stephen Mallon) had the grounds looking stunning. I cannot thank them enough for their help during the year and hopefully we will return for a stay on our anniversary. Thank you Valerie. I will post photos of the beautiful setting very soon. God Bless Esther & Colm Toner

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2009

My husband and I were lucky to have been transferred to this amazing country house hotel. We have never experienced such a warm welcome in a hotel and, from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, nothing was too much trouble for Valerie and Bradislav. The service was incomparable - smooth, unobrusive and very, very professional. Sadly we did not have the opportunity to sample the evening meal but, if it was anything like the breakfast that was served, it would have been of excellent quality.
The rooms are spacious, clean, very comfortable and the ambience is calm, quiet and unhurried.
I will certainly recommend Ardhara House to all my friends and hope I may visit again in the not too distant future

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mgt1
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Just had two nights in Ard Tara when visiting Northern Ireland. The hotel is only 50mins from Belfast and 40mins from Giants Causeway so was perfect for us. We had dinner in the hotel both nights and found the food to be superb and they took special care of our little girl.
On our second evening, our daughter was unwell so they brought our food to our room so we could finish our meal together.

We had a garden view room which was spacious and tastefully decorated.

I would recommend the Ard Tara to anyone who is visiting Northern Ireland and want somewhere special to stay.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed here as a family with small children. It's a beautiful building and has a nice front courtyard surrounded by trees. The rooms are comfortable, fairly big, and a bit on the ornate side. Heavy curtains and detailing, fireplaces and big old bathtubs. It reminded me of somewhere Oscar Wilde might have summered. The sheets, beds and towels were in good shape and nice quality. We ate dinner and breakfast in the dining room. The food and service were pretty good. The oddest part was that they had everyone sit in a lounge to order dinner, and then they seat you some time later. Staring at all the other guests was a little uncomfortable and the kids were starving by the time we were served. All in all it was a good experience though and it's worth checking out.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank stuckundermytongue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Upperlands
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
Brown Trout Golf & Country Inn
Causeway Hotel
Causeway Hotel
#3 of 3 in Bushmills

Been to Ardtara Country House? Share your experiences!