“Usually Fantastic, but a little Disappointing on my most Recent Visit”

Gressingham Restaurant at Thurnham Hall
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At the heart of historic Thurnham Hall, The Gressingham Restaurant serves lovingly prepared, traditional home-cooked food in a relaxed and intimate environment. With elegant décor and exceptional service, we offer a wonderful setting for casual dining, family celebrations and more.When you arrive, take a drink in our Jacobean Lounge & Bar – the original ‘great hall’ with an enormous roaring open fire and live pianist several days of the week. Then you’ll be seated in one of two rooms, surrounding our kitchen. At the front of the hall, The Fountain View room looks out past the fountain to serene Lancashire countryside. At the rear of the hall, The Tower Room is part of the original 13th century tower.
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have visited this restaurant several times, and usually found it absolutely wonderful. Very nice setting, excellent food, and great service.
However, on today's visit there were a few minor issues. Firstly, there was a piano being played in the lounge. We were in that room when waiting for our table. The piano was not being played very well, and I found the noise of the piano a bit irritating (drowning out our conversation).
We were presented with a Sunday Lunch menu, printed especially for that day (the date printed on the menu), yet it did not specify what the soup of the day was. The waitress taking our order did not make this clear either (or maybe I would have heard her had it not been for the piano).
When we got to our table, the food came soon after. The food possibly wasn't quite as nice on today's visit as it has been on previous visits. Also, the waiting staff were not very obliging when it came to taking orders for further drinks. Staff were not as attentive as they usually are.
For some reason the dessert took nearly half an hour to arrive after we had ordered it. This waiting time is not really acceptable. Also, my cheesecake came with rum and raison ice cream as opposed to vanilla (which was specified on the menu). I cannot stand rum and raison ice cream. Fortunately the waiter changed that for me. Though I do see it as quite a controvertial move serving rum and raison ice cream when vanilla is specified. Not everybody likes rum and raison (I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't).
Overall I would say this restaurant is fantastic. As stated above, the food, service and atmosphere are second to none. It was just unfortunate that today's visit did not quite live up to that.
I'm sure I will be back, and hopefully next time things will be back to normal.

thurnham, Manager at Gressingham Restaurant at Thurnham Hall, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Many thanks for your recent review!
We welcome feedback both positive and negative and we always like the chance to put right something which we might not have got quite right first time around and I hope you will give us the opportunity to do this.
We are delighted you are a regular visitor to us, although naturally I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit with us quite as much as your previous ones.
Our pianist is with us every Sunday and Friday evenings, and he always tries to play a wide selection of genres on the piano to try and suit as many of our guests as possible from more classic and traditional to the more modern up to date, and if requests are made, he always endeavours to play them for guests, I can only apologise this wasn't to your taste.
Our menu is indeed written for that day as we encourage our chef’s to use their creativity and culinary flair, the reason for the soup being listed as ‘soup of the day' and not the flavour, is due to it being a naturally being a more popular menu choice, should it run out (which happens quite often) a new one can be put on in replacement without having to print off menu's through a busy service, I’m sorry if this was not made clearer for you.
With regards to the ice cream mix up you experienced, I’m sure you can appreciate that mistakes can unfortunately sometimes happen and I can only appologise it did on this occasion (the rum and raisin ice cream was destined for another dessert it was accompanying on the menu) but I am delighted my team acted quickly and rectified this error for you.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review, and we hope to welcome you back in the not to distant future

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had a beautiful meal in the resuarant, the food was really excellent and the service first class. we will definately be advising people to go and we will be going again soon.

thurnham, Manager at Gressingham Restaurant at Thurnham Hall, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
The Whole team were delighted with your comments and we all look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

took my dad for fathers day. menu looked amazing and great value too. however when they took us threw to the restaurant, they took us threw to a small dated room to the front of the building. This wasn't like the back room i had eaten in before. we were the only table in this room for nearly the entire meal. No vegetables came with our main meals and there was no one to ask for assistance in our dining room. Once we had finished they asked us to move threw to the bar to task a seat, which wasn't a problem until we went threw only to see there was no where to sit. so had no choice but to pay up and leave. On request of the bill it took the lady 4 attemps to get ours right. it was a real shame because the food was good.

First and foremost thank you for your feedback.
We welcome positive and negative feedback as we always like the chance to put right something which we may not have got quite right first time around and I do hope you would give us the opportunity to do that with a return visit
Naturally I am disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us as much as so many other people who have dined with us have.
I will of course be looking into your comments in the hope to rectify the issues you may have experienced.
I'm sure you can appreciate Father's day is an extremely busy day for us, the turnover of tables is very high, especially when the time frame we serve our Sunday menu is as big as it is. Understandably some times are busier than other, I can only surmise that you may have dined with us at one of the more quieter times.
We always try to ensure there is room in our lounge before asking people to make their way through; however we are always more than happy to serve your coffees at the table, should there be no room and ensure our guests do not feel rushed.
Both rooms of the Gressingham Restaurant are in keeping with the age of the building, being a 13th century, grade 1 listed venue, understandably we are slightly limited to the extent of refurbishment, later in the year however we had pencilled in some TLC for both our rooms and we hope you will come back to see what we've done.
Once again, thank you for you for taking the time to write your comments.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I'm not normally one to write reviews, but my husband and I enjoyed our meals so much last night, I really think it would be a shame not to.
We arived around 7.30, (without booking) and to our surprise the place was absolutley packed! Its not often you see a restaurant so busy on a Monday night, well it turns out The Gressingham have a steak night offer, which clearly brought the punters out. Luckily the bar maid reassured us she would get a table organised as soon as possible. thankfully as we were starving! We enjoyed a drink in the lovely hall while reading the menus, and both opted for a ribeye steak.
The lovely waitress took us through to our table, and then brought us some fresh bread to nibble on. The steaks were cooked to perfection, and were half price which made them taste that little bit better.
All in all, it was such an enjoyable night, all the staff took that extra step to have a chat, or laugh and a joke with us, which really added to the atmosphere. So its definately worth a visit, but just make sure you book first, as it seems to be a really busy little place.

Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! (Especially as you mentioned you don't normally write them!)
We always appreciate it when people take the time and effort to give us feedback on their experience with us and naturally I will be sharing your comments with the whole team.
We always encourage our team members to go that extra step for our guests to ensure they have the best possible experience while they are with us.
The steak night offer has been running a few weeks now and I'm delighted so many people are choosing to dine with us on this offer, week on week we are seeing familiar faces which is wonderful for the team and guests alike.
Again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not too distant future

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Went for dinner here on Wednesday and I must say that the steak and ale pie was the biggest thing I think I've ever seen. I overheard the manageress tell another diner on ordering that 'they wouldnt leave hungry' she was not wrong!
I have never in my life been able to get my pastry to rise like that and would love to know the chef's secret. The pie dwalfed my friends salmon fillet in comparision but both were delicious and i felt slightly dissappointed I did not have enough room for a dessert, having had another extremely generous portion of pate as my starter but it gives me a wonderful excuse to go back (as if I needed one)
I've read previous review describing it as a 'hidden gem' this is a very accurate description of this little place in the big hall with the HUGE portions.

1  Thank adviceangel
thurnham, Manager at Gressingham Restaurant at Thurnham Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for you review!
The whole team down here were delighted with your comments and thrilled that you had such a memorable experience with us. We are very proud of our steak pies they are naturally one of our most popular dishes on our menu.
On discussion with our kitchen team here when you are planning your next visit to us, if you would care to contact me directly and our head chef will gladly give you pointers on pastry if you would like.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.