“D for disappointment...”

The Fleece Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Dolphinholme B&B and Inns
“D for disappointment...”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Arrived with intention of eating, we had heard promising things in the past, however, hadn't been, hence visit. On entering we were not greeted by the young bar maid, she barely acknowledged us, no "hello", "how are you", nothing. It wasn't particularly busy, nor was she preoccupied with anything else. Once we initiated conversation and ordered our drinks we were informed we couldn't have one in particular as she couldn't reach the glass required...We thought this was an attempt at joking, alas, no- she literally couldn't reach the glasses above her and made no attempt to use another or use steps etc. So we changed our order to suit her- without apology might I add. We tried to make conversation- fruitless! Then we guessed how much it was, paid and were dutifully passed change, still without a word spoken so we worked out the cost ourselves. We were so horrified with the service we changed our minds about ordering food, left without finishing our drinks and went to The Plough a few miles away in Galgate- wished we hadn't bothered with The Fleece at all and shall advise our friends otherwise also. God knows where the Managers were- perhaps off or in the kitchen. However, doubtful would've made much difference speaking to him/her if this young lady was their choice of staff. Such a shame, being such a small local place, I wonder if we were more recognisable -ie from the village perhaps the service received from that staff member in particular would've been improved!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I guess The Fleece is classed as my local, as I live in a nearby village, so when a work colleague came to stay on business I thought it would be a great idea to take her for dinner to my 'local'. Big mistake! Really poor and slow service by a very young waitress who acted like she wanted to be anywhere else but there. I ordered the chicken goujons with sweet chili dipping sauce only to be informed when it was put in front of me that there was no dipping sauce ????!!!!!! So all my dish consisted of was over-done goujons with some iceberg lettuce on the side. My colleague had a pie dish, which she said was tasty but I suspect she was being generous. It wasn't good value and sadly I won't be hurrying back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank freemanwilson
Over Kellet
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just had a great lunch at The Fleece. Comprehensive menu, not just the usual pub food either. Well cooked, well presented and thoroughly enjoyable. We only live about 20 miles away, and were looking for a change to our usual haunts. This was a very good choice - we'll definitely be back!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rexwool
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have eaten here several times before and always look forward to a return visit.

The food is excellent and the pub friendly and warm. On this occasion I had a prawn cocktail for starters and the ham shank for mains. The prawn cocktail was inconveniently constructed as some of the salad leaves were too large to tackle with the spoon provided and the prawn and marie rose sauce although superb in flavour was just a little sparse compared to the amount of leaves. I ended up eating the leaves with my fingers and using the spoon for the prawns and sauce. The leaves however were fresh, tasty and of the highest quality. I feel a little mean being so picky as everything else was 110% and the prawn cocktail is the only reason why I did not give this 5 stars. My friends with whom I ate all had other starters which looked superb so I was a little envious.

The mains is a different story and should come with a public warning saying 'Don't eat anything at least 24 hours before you come'. My ham shank was gigantic and would have easily fed a family of four and was absolutely superb. It was supplied with more than an ample supply of chips, vegetables and a stunning sauce. I was determined not to waste this ham and ate the whole ham shank but at the expense of not being able to manage half of the chips or any of the veg. I have a reputation amongst my friends of always finishing with an empty plate - the definition of impossibility on this occasion. There was no way that I could even contemplate a sweet but others that had one were very satisfied.

I can and have recommended the Fleece to many with confidence, for quality, quantity and atmosphere and feel that next time I visit, it will be full marks as it always has been in the past.

This was probably the most that I have eaten at one time in my entire life and was so full that I did not feel the need to eat again until the evening of the following day. On my next visit to The Fleece I might do the same all over again but next time starve myself for 24 hours beforehand!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reginald S
cumbria
Reviewed January 13, 2013

great place, good food, reasonably priced, friendly ,oldy worldy proper inn.log fires and very comfortable.
our dog was made welcome too ,which was the reason we picked this place.glad we did. large car park and plenty of outdoor space,great for summer!
definitely be back :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kaztez
fleecey, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your review we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay, look forward to seeing you again
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Fleece Inn is a very welcoming pub, with three bars with traditional fires, a super ambience, and is almost entirely frequented by local people. It has a strong local feel, and is a pleasure to visit. The food is excellent

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
fleecey, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again sometime
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed 4 nights with our dog, the room was very comfortable, staff where all friendly and helpful. the food and service where excellent. So nice to find a quiet pub in beautiful countryside with the friendly ambiance and chat of the old country pubs .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with IKnowUK

fleecey, Owner at The Fleece Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your review we hope to see you again soon
Kim & John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolphinholme
Lancaster House
Premier Inn Lancaster Hotel
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to The Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!