“Unfortunately not as good as it looks”
Review of The Banana Garden

The Banana Garden
Ranked #1 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Sidcup
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Banana Garden is a friendly coffee shop, also selling home-made soups, cakes and light lunches. We offer a range of delicious Afternoon Tea options and are licensed to serve alcohol with our food. The quirky decor is welcoming and fresh, offering a range of signs, ornaments and unusual items to look at during your visit. Everything on display is for sale too, so you can shop and stop for refreshments in one place. We aim to have gluten free choices wherever possible.
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

When we came in here around lunchtime they had run out of the paninis advertised outside and had a very limited selection. As a vegetarian I ended up eating toast! Expensive for what you get and not the friendliest service. However, combining a cafe and shop is a nice touch and it has a good location on the Oval.

Jacquie L, Owner at The Banana Garden, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were disappointed with your experience at The Banana Garden and were unable to find anything to your liking in our refrigerated display on this occasion.

We offer a range of food suitable for vegetarians including Paninis with various fillings such as Four Cheese, Caprese, Brie and Cranberry or Mango Chutney, Halloumi with Tomato and mint together with our new Fallafel Diavolo all at £3.95.
We always offer a choice of several vegetarian Homemade Soups served with Ciabatta Bread including such recipes as Parsnip & Parmesan, Red Pepper & Tomato, Mushroom and Carrot & Corriander for £3.95.
Our menu also includes vegetarian risottos and pasta dishes from £4.50, as well as sandwiches and rolls, crumpets, tea cakes, muffins and a range of handmade cakes and traybakes.

It is possible that after a busy morning and lunchtime, the selection of Paninis, sandwiches and rolls in our refrigerated display can be quite depleted, however our staff are always happy to prepare any sandwich or panini when asked.

Regarding your comment about the toast: for £1.95 we provide 2 Slices of Wholemeal or White Bread, Two Portions of Butter and a choice of an individual jar of Tiptree Preserve, Marmalade, Honey, Marmite or Nutella and we believe that this offers very good value.

It would be a great help to me if you would let me know the date and time that you visited so that I can look into this matter further.

I hope this has not put you off visiting us again.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We live locally and the BG is a great place to have on our doorstep. The food is great and there is a good choice of drinks too, the atmosphere is warm, cosy and the staff are lovely. When you have finished eating, there are many gorgeous things to look at in the shop. The candles are the best I've ever bought - last ages and completely scent the room. I recommend BG to all my friends.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I love love LOVE Banana Garden. The coffee is fantastic and the soup and pannini's are to die for. The meatball pannini is my absolute favourite. It's even better that they now serve wine!!! My Dad lives in Bedfordshire and we have to visit Banana Garden every time he visits. He just loves it. The staff are so friendly and accommodating. I always feel comfortable taking my two girls (4 & 7) for a treat. The shop is quirky and fun. There are some wonderful bits to buy. The Oval was screaming for a shop like this. Well done Banana Garden, you've given us a fantastic place to eat, shop and chillax!!!!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

What a find. This is a lovely friendly place to go for coffee or lunch.
The staff are welcoming & cheerful & I go there most days after walking the dogs.
The coffee & food are above average & the newspaper that they provide is a bonus

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Been in here a few times now and can honestly say I have always been greeted with a happy face and excellent service. The gift shop has some lovely gift items and great cards, and to top it off you can relax and have a lovely coffee and something to eat in the coffee shop which is lovely and clean and reasonably priced.

Lovely staff, lovely premises. One happy customer