“Pleasant Surprise”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We booked a table here for my Dad's birthday. We had seen it many times but never been. We booked a table for 6.45pm on a Saturday night, but arrived a little early. There were already a few families in there. The restaurant is quite small, traditionally decorated, and welcoming. The staff greeted us and sat us at a table along the far wall. The menu has a good selection of pastas, meat and fish dishes, but no pizzas. To start I chose the minestrone, my wife had the Parma ham & melon, and my parents had the garlic mushrooms. They were all of a good size, and very tasty. For main I had the mixed seafood pasta, my wife had the Pollo Milanese, and my parents had the risotto with asparagus and the calves liver with bacon. When they arrived, they were huge! They were also cooked to perfection, and delicious. We washed these down with a nice Pinot Grigio from a reasonably priced wine list. Only Dad had dessert, profiteroles, while the rest of us had coffees (too full!) Service throughout was friendly and efficient. The bill, for what we had, was also reasonable. By the time we left the place was nearly full and bustling. A nice little find and truly a pleasant surprise.

3  Thank Gaz_n_Nic

Reviewed December 29, 2013

After knowing about this restaurant for some time we decided to try it out. Well we were not disappointed friendly staff great atmosphere and superb food. The portraits were an excellent size and the quality of food was very good. In fact outstanding.I would highly recommend visiting for what was an excellent meal. Looking forward to a return visit soon with friends. Nice place for a special occasion.

2  Thank Barry S
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Had been to this restaurant previously when under different management and had sworn never to go back. Last year my son had booked to take my husband and I there and I was definitely not looking forward to the experience. What a surprise we both got - the food was great, service fantastic and a brilliant atmosphere. Have been back many times since and have never had a bad experience. Portions are huge, prices are reasonable and the quality of the food is always excellent. Even when busy you cannot fault the service or food. Have taken friends and family there, some who are real 'foodies' and they have all loved it and have gone back. We never tire of going there as there is such a wide choice of food and regular daily specials

3  Thank ThorneSidcup
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Living in Sidcup for many years, the 'Italian on the corner' never had the best reputation. However, after a long day of Christmas shopping with visiting friends, I decided to give it a go and booked a table for a Saturday evening at Toscana.

Firstly, being able to get a table with only 30 minutes notice on a Saturday night doesn't bode well so my scepticism remained. However, on we went. Upon arrival, it was clear we were entering a bustling restaurant that was kicking out some pretty special food - happy faces and 'mmm's' all round as we peered at plates on the way to the table. We actually had the last table in the house - due to a cancellation, we later found out - and were not disappointed.

The melon and palma ham and minestrone soup starters were particularly good. Of the mains, the chicken with asparagus, seabass with capers and chicken milanese are also worth mentioning. The portions are great, erring on the side of too big, but that's not a bad thing!

The restaurant is homely and comfortable, exactly what you want in an Italian. The menu is good and the wine list considerable, I just wish we'd left room for desert - they looked amazing!

Our meal, including 4 starters, 4 mains, 2 bottles of wine and 4 beers came to around £140 - and we were more than happy with that.

Great Italian, happy to recommend the 'Italian on the corner' as well worth a visit.

3  Thank Alice A
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We had never been here before after a friend of ours said he went about 10 yrs ago and had a bad time ! But after reading reviews on tripadvisor we popped in for lunch. It is a little bit old fashioned but the food is fantastic, the wine very reasonable and the service very good - I really would recommend, especially if you appreciate traditional Italian cooking

2  Thank Wine1974