“dont go mid day in August”

Stodmarsh National Nature Reserve
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Better signage would be useful and as a non bird watching enthusiast some form of pictures/ identification charts would be useful along with plant identification. The addition of benches is very welcome.

3  Thank LDAPamberley

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I visited Stodmarsh twice during a week’s stay in Canterbury and almost had this delightful place place to myself — perhaps because June is not one of the best months for birding. (I understand that at other times of year some amazing birds can turn up.)

On my first visit I headed for the Reedbed Hide, from which I saw many swallows, house martins, sand martins and swifts — until a sparrowhawk spooked them all. On my second visit I tok a longer walk to the Marsh Hide, from which I saw a hobby, a marsh harrier, a common buzzard and a calling cuckoo. On both visits I also heard the booming call of the rare and elusive bittern.

It should be noted that if you wish to visit more than one of the five hides you may be in for a long walk because the reserve covers a large area with long distances between the hides.

5  Thank MrAndrewHaynes
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Totally quiet and relaxing walk amoung the marsh reeds, only drawback for dog owners, some areas forbidden the rest you need to keep pooch on a lead.

2  Thank Kentish-Adam
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We're just getting back into walking and this is a lovely place to walk around. There are various options so it suits all.

2  Thank ppw16
Reviewed March 28, 2012

OK, so you do need to like nature and wildlife to make the most of your time here.. But today we saw Konik's ponies, Marsh Harriers, a bittern, ruff, garganey, blackcaps, marsh frogs, green sandpipers, snipe, skylarks, marsh warbler, tree creepers, woodpeckers and long tailed birdtits ( won't lety you use the right name) along with large flocks of great birdtits. It was a glorious sunny day and we spent six hours here dividing our time between three hides. The walk length was about three miles. Where else could you get so much for free? We live in a glorious country and all you need is open eyes, open ears, binoculars and a bird book. No dogs and wheelchairs would be possible but quite heavy going.

2  Thank derizzoUk