“Fantastic carvery over and over again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bull at Benenden

The Bull at Benenden
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Benenden
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cranbrook, United Kingdom
“Fantastic carvery over and over again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just returned from another great Sunday afternoon in the Bull Inn. The atmosphere was great, the service excellent and the Carvery definitely the best in the area! We booked a table for 7 in the main restaurant and knowing that it was a birthday treat the staff put balloons on the table and glittered stars! We had the choice of beef, lamb, turkey and pork all absolutely delicious, served with fresh veges and all the trimmings! A great family lunch. We eat here often and I thoroughly recommend it. There is always a warm welcome and a great atmosphere.

London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Cooking at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Bull is a handsome 18th century building next to the village green. The dining room was partly candle lit and had a big fire in the inglenook: all very attractive. The room is simply furnished and although the wooden chairs had cushions attached, something more comfortable would have been appreciated.
The menu is short (a good sign usually) and our selections far surpassed expectations. Of particular note were the mackerel pate with an infusion of lemon, and the game pie which instead of usual pastry on top of a dish was of the free-standing variety and was served with a jug of gravy. And the chips were the best I have have had in a very long time.
There a slight mistake in the service when two of our dishes were delivered to the wrong table (but quickly retrieved). When the bill came I noticed we had not been charged for the excellent bottle of Rioja: on pointing this out I was informed that it had been deducted on account of the mis-delivery. When I insisted that this was not necessary, I had to compromise by paying for half. A very pleasing example of concern to get things right. The cost for three courses is about £25 excluding drinks.

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Sunday Carvery at The Bull”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our first time trying the carvery at the Bull, and our first Sunday lunch out in many years. This is because, as a veggie, I am often offered a plate of risotto, or pasta, while every one else tucks in to roast pots and all the trimmings. When I want a Sunday lunch, I want those things too, just not cooked in meat fat. I manage this perfectly at home, which is why we always have Sunday lunch there. However, the Bull do nut roast for veggies, and you can then enjoy the roast potatoes, veg, yorkshires and everything else, and all of this is delicious. My family are meat eaters, and they really enjoyed the turkey and beef, we were stuffed! My only gripe is that my nut roast was done ages before they husband, older teenagers) reached the front of the queue for their carvery, meaning I ate all alone, and they had a 25 minute wait before reaching the front of the line. A waitress did notice the problem, and offered for me to go get some more hot food to eat with them, but I had slowly picked my way through my dinner, and didn't fancy another plateful. It would be much much better if they could have got their food with me, or held mine till they were nearing the front. A fellow customer commented on 'the perils of being a vegetarian lone diner'! Well, I was hoping to eat with the family! Also, the pub is FULL of families, lots of children milling around, all very well mannered, but it was loud, and crowded. I felt sorry for the young couple trying to eat with their elbows up against a group of youngsters. Try and get a table right out the back, or go in the green room. The roast is £11.50, drinks and puddings extra, booking very advisable. There is live music later, which I've heard is a lovely way to end your Sunday evening..maybe another time.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank innerpsystem
Kent
“Long wait but good when food arrived”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had a booking for 1.30. When we arrived we were told there would be a bit of a wait as there was a party of 10, which were booked for 1.15. They were running late so I think we must have got on the tail end of their meal. We had a glass of wine which we didn't want to rush as wanted it with our meal so had some water. To be fair the waitress did keep coming up to us and letting us know our meal wouldn't be long. I think 50 minutes at lunch time is long enough. When we did finally get served it was superb. I could not fault what we had. We would have had a sweet and coffee but as we were on a schedule we didn't have time. The pub has a lovely quaint ambience, and is clean. Apart from the 10 people party it was not very busy, so cannot understand the long wait. The waitresses are very friendly and felt the problem was the kitchen. We will probably try it again as in the past have had efficient service and hope this was a one off.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank angie60Kent
Rye, United Kingdom
“WHAT HAS HAPPENED !!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We turned up for lunch at the weekend after being away for three weeks
. Gone is the tastey homemade food.Gone is the reasonably priced menu. Gone is( my favourite) pie of the week... In is stew in a bowl with a pie lid on top . Over priced pub food. Gone are the well mannered staff (replaced by an overbearing and rude landlady).What a difference in just a few weeks . Why did you mess with an obviously good thing.
I shall probably not return if things stay as they are.
Sorry, I tried to be a loyal customer

• Visited December 2012