We have spend 3 weeks in Beautique Studio at "La Gaulette" . There is 4 studio in a small building. The 2 upper flats are a bit smaller than the bottom one but the view is better (sea view). The best view however is from the roof terrace which is a shared space between all studios.
Studios are clean and basically equipped for rapid cooking , the bathroom are clean with hot water.Internet is working quite well. Each studio as is own terrace which permit to eat outside.
Only inconvenient is noise as the building is quite close to the road (although traffic is light at night) and the neighborhood (dogs barking , small buses horns to find clients in the morning and finally frogs but it might be due to the season) , when windows are closed the noise level is acceptable.
Localisation in Mauritius :
A rental car is almost mandatory as the nearest beach in Le Morne is at least 5 km away. There is no beach at la Gaulette. You just can hire a boat to go to Iles aux Bénitiers. Buses are abundant but very slow.
La Gaulette is close to Le Morne Brabant well known to be kite-surfing / wind-surfing paradise , so it means that there is wind almost every day and if you are looking for such activities , then La Gaulette is the place as in Le Morne there is only luxury hotels. If you want to make other activities it takes at least 15 minutes by car to go to Rivière Noire where there is public beaches and sea activities (dolphins and whale watching , fishing , ....) , It takes about the same to reach the Black River National Park where you can make some trekking.
If you want to visit the rest of the island , it takes at least 1h30 to go the North of the Island (Trou aux Biches , Grande Baie) and 2 hours to the South (Mahebourg , Blue Bay). Going to the East (Trou d'eau douce / ile aux Cerf) will take 2h30 minimum. This timing is given for good traffic condition.
Snorkeling : We were interested with snorkeling , the main sites are (from la Gaulette)
- Le Morne next to hotel PARADIS ( a boat is necessary to go there)
- Flic en Flac (25 mins drive) swimming in front of the Indian temple right of the beach
- Trou aux Biches : Left of the beach you can depart by swimming in front of a shop name Scuba doo
- Baclava (1H30 drive) : public beach , reef is very close from the beach
- Blue Bay (2H00 drive) : swimming from the left of the public beach or with boat
To do other than snorkeling :
- Tamarin waterfall . A guide is almost mandatory . you can swim there.
- other waterfall : just for the view , we did not find out if it was possible to go at the bottom of the falls except Rochester falls
- Trail in the National Park to see la mare au Joncs waterfalls (3 hours walk)
- Le Souffleur in the south of the island
- Markets in Curepipe , Port Louis and Mahebourg.
- Swimming with dolphins and whale watching (Spermwhales) in Rivière Noire.
- Walking on endless beaches ..... next to luxury hotels .......
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|