“Beware if you have to cancel due to family emergency/illness”
Review of Craig-y-Nos Castle

and 1 more site!
Craig-y-Nos Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Penycae B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I were due to attend a friends wedding at the castle and we were both so excited to be staying at this lovely spot. I have no doubt from other reviews and from what the other guests have had to say that it would have been amazing. Unfortunately my husband took ill the day before we were due to attend the wedding and when I called to cancel I was told that there was a 48hr cancellation policy which was stated in the email they sent to confirm the booking. I told them I had never received the email and they said there was nothing they could do. This is my only complaint and a warning to others please make sure you do receive a confirmation email and if you do not contact them again and again until you do. I still have not received the supposed email from them and am highly disappointed by their lack of customer service and understanding. So all in all just beware if you are booking as they will take your credit card details and bill you before you stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
MichaelLudwig, Manager at Craig-y-Nos Castle, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments.
I'm sorry illness prevented you from staying at the Castle, and wish a speedy recovery.

In line with most hotels we have a 48 hour cancellation policy, this is advised on our website and in our cancellation email, which we advise all our guests they will get.

Sadly due to the high numbers of emails we send some email providers do at times block our emails, but because we tell our guests they are getting a confirmation they do tell us they did not receive it and we can either email it again or post it.

When you cancelled at short notice it meant that the bride & groom would also be unable to book other of their guests in at short notice and would be unable to achieve the number of guests they had planned.

Not least when you called to cancel we did advise you that failure to cancel would lead you to be charged if you did not arrive as well as being offered to use the room at a later date using the money paid, if you provided documentary evidence of illness, we do not charge cards until the date of your stay, not the date booked.

I'm sorry you have not received this second email and would suggest you contact our reception to ask them to post it.

(We had a guest who cancelled due to a miscarriage, and accepted our policy and rebooked)

Best wishes

Michael

There are newer reviews for Craig-y-Nos Castle

Reviewed October 24, 2013

just returned from a long awaited stay at craig y nos castle, have to say i was very dissapointed from start to finish, my husband and myself booked in for a one night stay, we were put into room 35 which is located in the atrium block, having been shown our room, once the door opened by a member of staff we noticed a really strong smell what seemed like urine inside the room, the bathroom had a very bad smell of damp in it and a really annoying fan which went on everytime you turned the bathroom light on, we both refused to take a bath due to the bath having a horrible looking stain on it, instead i myself opted to wash my hair over the bath but whilst trying to do this the shower head fell off, i then tried to use the hair dryer which is in the bedroom even on a high setting my hair took a while to dry. there also appeared to be alot of dust on the bed side units, after a little while we went along to speak with a member of the reception staff to inform her of the bad smell in our room, we were informed that there has been alot of complaints from people booked into the room saying the same thing, we however did ask if it was possible for us to move rooms, we were offered room 36 next door but we declined this offer due to the fact having spoke to a lady who worked at the castle earlier in the evening who informed us room 36 was haunted we stated we would rather not move to that room, considering the castle was rather empty we were not offered any other rooms. throughout the night we had to keep the heater on close to our bed as the room was very cold without it, whilst using the hot water tap in the morning to wash i myself suffered a small burn to my hand due to the water being very very hot which is alarming.whilst going for breakfast in the morning one of the two dogs that run around by reception growled at me which was'nt very nice, the cleaner who was near reception at the time did tell the dog off, the breakfast was ok nothing special to write about. we decided to visit a small tea room up the road from craig y nos called changing seasons, we are glad we did the food was very nice we decided to have the offer of two courses for two people for £10 we really enjoyed the staff member who served us was very friendly we are planning another visit to the changing seasons sometime soon,later in the evening we went further up the road to the gwyn arms pub again a friendly welcome and nice food and drink, inside the pub was spotless. im sad to say that i would not recommend a stay at craig y nos castle, i understand the building is very old so i expected it to be cold but not as cold as it was in our room, yes you will also get some damp but the smell was rather over powering, after watching most haunted at craig y nos my husband and myself was expecting things to go bump in the night but we did not experince anything during our stay, two other concerns we both had whilst we stayed, on leaving our room to go downstairs the corridors and stairways were pitch black as we walked around we had to turn on the lights to see where we were going, it would have been nice if a member of staff did this before they finished there shift, also a slight issue with security if you go out after the reception staff have left you have to use a different access to enter the castle this however is unlocked which means anyone can get in and walk around certain parts of the castle.

Room Tip: if you want a ghostly experince apparently room 36 is haunted.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swanseajacks4
MichaelLudwig, Manager at Craig-y-Nos Castle, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for your review, naturally I am sorry to hear your concerns regarding the Castle – we aim to ensure we give a varied selection of rooms and also ensure that guests are offered appropriate facilities. Where we don’t meet the required standard we would offer alternative rooms or accommodation at a later date – if you can contact us we can look into this.

Im sorry that you felt the room smelt of urine, I can assure you this is not the case – and sadly may be either a damp issue or the natural smell of antique furniture – whilst I appreciate this may have put you off we do look to offer alternative accommodation and based on your later comments would have thought that Room 36 would have been ideal. I am not sure why you were not offered any other accommodation however in our Winter Trading – which we do advise our clients – we do state that certain areas of the Castle are not used when we have a low occupancy.

I have passed your comments to our Housekeeping and Maintenance to check the bath, the shower and the room general as these comments do not appear to have been reported to us previously and naturally once we receive comments such as yours we do look to rectify them.

With regards to the cold – sadly being an old building as you state, it does get cold in the winter and as per our Winter Trading, we offer heaters (and more on request) should it get cold – when we have more guests in our off season we then are able to heat sections of the Castle.
I am unsure as to how you to burned from the water, however will check the hot water – this is something I have not come across previously,

In regards to your comment stating you had not experience anything that goes bump in the night – the Castle is reputedly haunted but only in certain rooms – Room 36 being one of them – which as above you declined to occupy along with our derelict haunted areas which are only accessible when accompanied on a tour or with our ghost investigator.

I appreciate your concerns in relation to security – it is customary in most B & B’s to lock up at some stage and to have an internal door for guests to use – we do though have a number of staff living on the premises (so ther is always someone on hand – to which you would have been issued their details in your welcome letter) along with having the Castle covered by security cameras, alarms and fire detection alarms.

That said, I am sorry that you felt unhappy about the Castle and should you wish to contact us direct, we would look to offer you an alternative to resolve your issues.

M!chael Ludwig

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Why is it that hotel's think it is acceptable to put single guests in small inferior
rooms when they are, in essence, paying double what couples are each paying? After attending a wedding here, I was sent a questionnaire re my visit. I filled it in but as I
was critical of the quality and cleanliness of my room, and the price charged for it (£150), unsurprisingly I have not had a reply from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
MichaelLudwig, Manager at Craig-y-Nos Castle, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thankyou for your feedback. I am sorry that you dont appear to have a reply, as i make our reception respond to all concerns - with any major issues being dealt with directly by myself - although at times it is hard to distinguish a customers constructive comments with their desire for a response.

If you could contact us and let us know your surname and room number/ i can see if a response was sent (as sometimes emails get blocked) and if not to respond to your directly.

As i am unsure of your room number i can only comment as follows - Wedding Clients book at the Castle various packages to suit their needs and it appears that they have chosen our Special Wedding Offer in which they are required to get 50 guests at £75 per person - sadly as (and whilst i understand your comments) all our double en suite rooms therefore are charged at £150 - we are unable to charge single occupancy rates - in essence if you did not occupy the room - then 2 others would have at the same price. This is common in the hotel industry when you are paying for a room and not a person. Naturally, once the wedding couple have used all the en-suites then guests are offered non- ensuite rooms at a lower (but still per room cost). *We have 3 non - ensuites within the Castle and 12 in our Nurses Block - and a multitude of family rooms, apartments and double and triple rooms.

All of our en suite rooms are in the main the same size - with a double (or twin beds), TV/DVD or Freeview combination, shower or bath (in some cases both) and include tea and coffee making facilities most rooms have a telephone and can connect to the internet. Of course our triple and family rooms are larger than our double rooms - but because they can contain more occupants they are charged at a different room rate - however if for example a couple wished to occupy a family room they can do so - but would be charged at the family room rate.

I am sorry if you felt the room was smaller than you would have liked, and that you felt that you were being charged extra for single occupancy.

I will endeavor to track down the original feedback form and response.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

What a lovely hotel, we had a wonderful time here and are already making plans for another short stay. The staff are fantastic very friendly and accommadating and the welcome pack in the room was packed full with the history of crag y nos which i really appriciated and enjoyed, the hotel is beautiful and the grounds/woodland breathtaking, we stayed in 2 different rooms as we were orignally in room 36 where we heard saw and felt things thought the stay (definatly haunted) so moved to room 26 the 2nd night where we had a very comftable uneventful nights sleep. Overall we had a fantastic time and are looking forward to many more to come.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for you review (and for your images of the Orbs - which have been passed to our ghost investigator). It is not often that guests experience spooky things in the night in their rooms, apart from when their is some paranormal activity going on!!

I am glad though our staff were able to offer you a replacement room, which you found too have a little less nocturnal activity.

Im glad this did not spoil your stay and that you found everything else to your liking - we look forward to seeing you here again and remember to ask for a non haunted room!!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

It was a bleak, early autumn day in 2012 when my fiancée and I first went to look around Craig-y-Nos Castle, still undecided as to where to hold our wedding. Despite the low cloud and drizzle we immediately fell in love with the beautiful building and rugged scenery. Walking through the venue we saw guests sitting in the bar with their faithful friend dozing at their feet, and then sitting in the lounge my lap was visited by a friendly cat. No sales pitch was needed, the venue had been sold to us! We left with smiles on our faces only to be called back by a lovely old couple who offered us their congratulations and assured us that our wedding would be a day to remember at the castle.

The day itself dawned warm and sunny on 1st September 2013 and it went off without a single hitch. Despite the bridal party’s preparations starting very early there was always someone on hand who could assist with any questions or requests in a professional and friendly manner. There had been a wedding the day before, yet the cleaning staff did a fantastic job getting some rooms ready for guests hours before the stated check in time. This really helped the flow of the day as guests had somewhere to change as friends and family banded together. The food and service was top notch. We had the lamb and the meat was a high quality and very well cooked. Both the breakfast and evening buffet were tasty and went down well, plenty of choice available for both.

I would personally recommend going for the wedding package where you get 50 guests to stay at the Castle. This gives you complete run of all the function rooms with the benefits that the wedding moves seamlessly from ceremony in the opera theatre, to wedding breakfast in the conservatory to evening reception in the hall. There is no waiting for a room to be cleared as I have experienced at other events. With full use of the bar, lounge and ample outdoor space you won’t have to worry about your guests standing around with nothing to do. All of your friends and family get to stay up late, have a drink and enjoy themselves. No designated drivers needed! The rooms are sufficiently far away from the noise of the reception that anyone retiring early will be able to sleep. You also get a discounted rate per guest, which makes the wedding fantastic value.

You should be aware that there are two levels of accommodation at Craig-y-Nos, the Castle itself and the Nurse’s block. I stayed in the Nurse’s block the night prior to the wedding and the accommodation here, whilst clean and comfortable, is of a lower standard but this is reflected in the price. You have a wash basin in your room but toilets and showers are communal yet private (cubicles in a shared room). I saw 7 or 8 rooms in the Castle itself whilst greeting or saying goodbye to guests and I have to say I thought every single one was extremely well decorated and equipped for £75 per person for B&B. Our guests were very complimentary and a number, including my wife and I, will be visiting again. I should point out that the majority of rooms in the Castle are en-suite to my knowledge. I travel for work occasionally and often spend £60 for a bland room in a soulless national chain and get no breakfast and significantly worse decoration and equipment. Overall the accommodation of both grades is very good value for money.

I am somewhat baffled by the negative reviews based on the presence of Fluffy the hotel cat and guests dogs’. The animals are kept away from food preparation areas and the formal dining room and in my experience were very well behaved. They add to the ambiance of the venue and whilst it may be unusual, I believe it to be charming.

All-in-all we loved our wedding day and would like to say a big thank you again to all of the staff who worked so hard on our behalf.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doug L

Thank you for your great review - it was very well put together and extremely comprehensive.

I am glad that you and your guests had a great day, and that you enjoyed your room and felt it represented good value for money.

I shall pass your comments to our chef and the rest of our staff and naturally welcome you back.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We first came to the hotel in June of this year, after a week walking in Snowdon we were definitely ready to relax, (and relax we did) we fell in love with the hotel and the surroundings and our white boxer Lilah was so welcomed. As soon as we returned home we booked again. We came for four nights the last week in September and once again the hotel didn't disappoint. We have stayed in a few hotels that accept dogs but never in a hotel that positively embraces them, our dog Lilah is part of our family and we want to be able to take her everywhere and at Craig y Nos this is possible. The atmosphere created by the staff here is warm, friendly and relaxing where nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast is superb including Lilahs morning sausage and the evening menu is so good and varied we ate in the hotel every night I cannot recommend this hotel enough not just to dog owners but anyone who just wants to kick back and chill out for a few days, we certainly did and we will again as soon as we can. Craig y Nos is a rare gem of a hotel in a beautiful part of the country.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristy F

Thanks for your great review - it is excellent when returning guests find the Castle still to their taste and that the charm of their original visit has not been lost - it is also great to hear that you are looking to return - their is so much to do in Wales and your dog must be well excited.

m!chael

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Just spent two nights at the castle our first visit.The main reason for visiting was the fact it is advertised as dog friendly which it is,Its a great building and as previously stated a work in progress .we have no complaints, the room was warm ,clean and large with nice furnishings and everything in working order.a minor room query was quickly addressed by reception staff who were more than helpful, printing maps and routes etc, to enable us to see local places of interest.
breakfast was great with plenty of choice and again staff more than helpful/friendly.
We knew because of the time of year the castle was closed early,so we did not sample the bar or evening meals,which will be a good enough reason for us to hopefully return in the spring.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Glynis P

Thank you for such a positive review - it is great to hear that we live up to our reputation of a dog friendly hotel and that despite coming in our Winter Trading Period, you find yourself wanting to come back.

Im sure a return trip next year will allow you to sample our chefs great evening meals and we look forward to welcoming you back.

M!chael

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penycae
Peterstone Court Hotel
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Pentre Riding Stables
Pentre Riding Stables
#2 of 3 in Penycae

Been to Craig-y-Nos Castle? Share your experiences!