“What a location!!”
Review of Craig-y-Nos Castle

Craig-y-Nos Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Penycae B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 12, 2007

I have visited Craig y Nos on this occasion and found the hospitality of the staff faultless. Food was great and the accommodation was of a good standard.
The castle takes full advantage of its pretty much unique location and the views from almost any aspect are spectacular.

Had a great night with a few beers around the log fire in the bar, after taking advantage of the new gym facilities which i think are a superb addition to the buliding.

Will definitely look to come back in the future

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank leads87
Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed December 7, 2007

My husband, brother, sister-in-law and myself stayed there for 3 nights in an apartment near the main courtyard.

The room was modern, bright, comfortable and very clean with good quality fittings.

We only received very friendly behaviour from all the staff who went out of their way to help my brother with some admin problems he had to sort out.

The food was excellent and very reasonably priced.

This was the second time I have stayed there and would definately stay there again.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I booked this hotel at the last minute for a short break at half term.
The experience started the moment I spoke to the receptionist on the telephone and I was left in no doubt that nothing would be too much trouble.
My husband and I have two dogs that we never leave behind when we go on holiday. It was so nice to find a hotel where we could take the dogs and the bonus was that they could come in the bar with us when we ate in the evening. The food was delicious and the service impeccable.
The castle grounds are beautiful in themselves, just great for walking the dogs and there are loads more lovely walks to do from the castle (and nearby) through fabulous countryside, details of which we downloaded from the excellent hotel website.
Being keen on photographing wildlife I was delighted to spot dippers on the rivers which run through the castle grounds.
It is handy for visiting attractions such as the Brecon Mountain Railway and the Red Kite feeding station.
The room was clean and nicely furnished and warm enough, despite opening directly onto the courtyard.
Why don't I give it an Excellent rating? Two reasons:
The room was a little small for our needs and there was limited storage for clothing.
Some fellow guests decided to have a game of football in the courtyard immediately outside our room which was very disturbing to ourselves and our dogs.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yorkshirelass29
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Our son got married in September 2007 down in Dan-yr-Ogof caves and the reception was held in Craig-y-Nos Castle.
The setting was so tranquil and peaceful but our highest praise is for the way we were treated by all the staff, everyone was so friendly and helpful during our stay.
They took a lot of pressure and worry off our shoulders which made the day most enjoyable. The function room was beautifully
arranged and atmospheric, and what can we say about the Buffet??? FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!

The bedrooms were again of the same high standard with a hearty breakfast to follow.
We look forward to making a future visit.

John & Jeanette

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank fredMerthyrTydfil
Reviewed November 3, 2007

i was married at the castle in july. although it was raining it was the perfect day the staff at the hotel made everything perfect especially alison she was on hand in all the run up to the wedding to make sure any problems were sorted and that i had no worries on the day. the theatre where we married was absolutley fantastic and the reception went without a hitch, even my five year old daughter didnt get bored which beleive me is an achievment we booked up most of the hotel the night of the wedding and all rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast was gorgeous as was the wedding breakfast. all the girls stayed the night before the wedding and we had a ghost tour which was great fun. all in all the staff at craig y nos castle made my day a true day to remember and every second of it truley was a perfect moment so thanks everyone if i do it again ill give you a call (ha ha)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank rhibok
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Having booked by phone the previous night and unable to obtain a reservation number I was advised that a confirmation would be sent through by e mail (it never arrived). When I arrived at the hotel the following night I was asked for payment in advance. I then insisted on inspecting the room (which was fine except for no heating and having to put the kettle on the floor to boil water, no soap tray in the otherwise immaculate shower but one gets used to these things in UK hotels). By the way there are no directions to your room numbers within the labrynth of corridors - find your own way.

I was told that I would have to pay for dinner after having eaten (don't even try getting a VAT receipt for food - they don't seem to understand what one is).

I was told that breakfast is 0830 (the time I was due to leave) but was then advised that if I didn't want a cooked breakfast then I could obtain this earlier (I couldn't - there was no one there).

This place has enormous potential but the staff are poorly trained and I doubt whether the owner has any hotel experience. They are clearly used to dealing with boyos and hen parties but have no idea how to relate to more sophisticated guests. I can only say that those who have rated this hotel a '5' must have very low expectations of what should be expected of hotels in this price bracket. Don't go there.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank anyoneoutthere
Reviewed October 20, 2007

We got married at Craig-y-nos Castle on the 4th June 2007 we had the perfect day in the perfect setting. The staff were very helpful and friendly and nothing seems to be to much trouble. The food we had for the buffet was exceptional, and as we had guests that have dietary needs a meal was made specially for them. All our guests thoroughly enjoyed the day and the castle, along with the grounds which are beautiful. I can not fault the staff or the customer service we received. we stayed in the bridal suite for the night which is a really comfortable room and really quiet. some our guests looked around the room and were wowed by the double ended slipper bath. Our day and experiences couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penycae
Peterstone Court Hotel
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crickhowell
Ty Newydd Country Hotel

Been to Craig-y-Nos Castle? Share your experiences!