“Fun and Exciting”

Panama Outdoor Adventures
Ranked #6 of 11 things to do in Portobelo
More attraction details
Owner description: Panama Outdoor Adventures is an eco-adventure site located in the jungles of Panama on the Caribbean coast, only 1 hour drive from Panama City. Activities include CANOPY ZIP-LINE ADVENTURE, RIVER TUBING, HORSEBACK RIDING, NATURE TRAILS, BIRD WATCHING, and JUNGLE CAMPING. Meals may also be provided with adequate notice. Many adventurers enjoy their day in the area by going to the historical town of Portobelo after their jungle experience. Please reserve via website form.
Findlay, Ohio
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Fun and Exciting”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I and two friends had a special offer for the Zip-Line. It was a beautiful day and the four of us were the only ones there.

First, on their web page they talk about some of the runs being over 700 feet long and some of the platforms being 90 to 100 feet above the ground.

I was not afraid of the lines and the lengths, however, I am extremely afraid of heights. You put a platform off the roof of my 2 story home (30’ above the ground) and I could not get out there. The thought of being 40 feet to 100 feet above the ground was very concerning to me.

My friends ask me to go and ask questions about the route and then decide. Here is what I found. All the platforms have safety lines that if you aren’t on the zip-line, they have you hooked to them. Second, you can try the first two lines which aren’t has high but at the end of the second one, you are on solid ground and you can call it a day if you didn’t like platform 1 or the two zip-line runs. I had no issues. While you are up high, the trees kind of shield how high you are so it really wasn’t that bad. Again, I’m terrified of heights above 20’ feet and I did not have an issue.

The harnesses, helmets, and gloves are all very secure. The staff checks you and makes sure you are ready to go. When two in our party thought that their harnesses were coming a little loose they asked the staff to check them and they tightened them. They are always watching and asking if you are okay.

The lines are fun. Some are nice and easy, and some get going at a fun clip and they tell you that you have to start breaking half way down. It is a lot of fun. One note, if you have back problems make sure you ask them not to jiggle the line. They will do this to make the speed increase and create a back and forth motion on some of the lines and it is fun but it can jar you. My wife has back issues and didn’t know they were going to do it and while fun it cause her back to pop and be a little painful. No big issue. She was able to finish and feels fine but still there is a chance that it could hurt your back and ruin your day and week. Once asked they were very concerned and didn’t do it on the remainder of her runs.

Again, the staff was very considerate. They spoke a little English and while 3 of us are from the States we live in Panama and speak enough Spanish to understand and one of the gals is Panamanian and she translated things we wanted clarification on. If you book and you don’t speak good Spanish make sure you insist on a fluent English speaking person. The instructions aren’t hard and it is not really that dangerous but you want to make sure you know how to slow down and mange going down the zip-lines.

There were 9 lines and all were fun. It took the four of us 1 hour to complete. Take your camera it is a blast and the staff will take a group picture on the real high platforms for you.

Only minor issue was we got there at 8:30 and our time was for 9:00. The staff showed up around 8:45 and was surprised to see us. They had not been informed that we were coming. Still that did not affect us but might cause some of you issues or concerns if it would happen to you.

Getting there is pretty easy but the last 10 minutes on the back road is rough, narrow and if it is raining might be pretty tricky. SUVs are recommended.

One final note. The staff told us that 10 to 15% of those that come see the platform and the line and decide not to go. If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it. You won’t be the only one that didn’t. I will say this, I’m happy I did do it and didn’t let my fear of heights get the best of me. No matter what, you have to be comfortable doing it.

They have rafting and other events but we didn't want to do them but I'm sure they would be fun.

Have fun!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Stargazerm31

New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Wonderful day with POA”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Had a fantastic time with Panama Outdoor Adventures and highly recommend for anyone looking for an activity outside Panama City. We chose a package including ziplining, lunch, and tubing which was $70/pp (got a slight discount). Zipelining included 6 or 7 lines and - fun and exhilarating flying through the canopy. Lunch was a flavorful plate of traditional Panamanian chicken, rice and salad. Tubing was relaxing and a perfect way to end the day given the heat; during the tubing you stop in a deeper part of the river and can swing from the shore including one swing about 25 feet off the ground. Only complaint would be the tubing activity was a bit short (~40 minutes including the 5 minute hike back to the camp) so if you choose this activity suggest asking to stay longer in the swinging area. Guides were all friendly and helpful. For an additional cost, they organize transportation from Panama City (about 1.5 hours each way); we split the cost with another group (so suggest asking if this is an option)

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Bucky6478
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great time at P.O.A”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Last minute decision to do the zip line canopy tour today. Reservations were a bit back and forth but totally worth it. Got picked up in Panama City, right on time and our driver was great (spoke perfect English and great to talk to, pointed out things along the way). Arriving there everything was legit, which we were a bit scared of being the price was so reasonable compared to other companies. Facility is clean and fun. Ziplines were safe and a great time was had. Small group, only 5 of us which made it even better to experience everything. We had a nice lunch (15$), a bit on the expensive side for panama, but it was delicious. Afterwards we opted not to go tubing down the river, however we went swimming in the lake and had great fun on the rope swings, swinging from cliff to river! Everyone was nice and the place is definitely worth it. Prices again, very resaonable for what you get. Would definitely recommend!

2 Thank Aadam767
“It was an awesome adventure”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

What an adventure. Rolando and Oscar did an excellent job. We got there at 4:57 pm and they still let us do the Zip line , even when they close at 5pm . Will recomend to anyone going to Panama. Next time we will spend the whole day there tubing, riding and doing the Zip lines again. Did I mentioned there are 9 lines in total. Awesesome.....

Sunrise, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NOT NICE”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Scheduled to be picked up from the port in Colon, Panama since we were arriving in a cruise. I advised the sales person that I was not sure of the time I was going to be able to get off the ship but we arrived at 8:00 am. We were unable to get off the ship until 10 and no one was there to pick us up. These people were also supposed to transport us to our hotel and I did not receive a courtesy e-mail or anything letting us know they decided not to provide their services. I think that they should know by now there may be a delay when getting off a cruise and at least let us know they are going to be late so they don't have to wait as long or anything of that sort. We met a guy that worked with them and told us he called them and they said they were coming and never came to pick us up. Very UNPROFESSIONAL. This company is horrible and I am GLAD we did not use them. Instead we were recommended another company and LOVED IT! Be careful with these people, they do not take deposits so that is probably the reason why they can care less if the person gets picked up or not.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Sara V
Caz H, Manager at Panama Outdoor Adventures, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello Sara. First and foremost, I am sorry that things did not work out as planned. I assure you that we must certainly did not "decide not to provide...services". The driver was on-site and ready for you at 8am as agreed with a sign that had your name on it. You did indeed inform us that you were not sure what time you would be able to get off the ship so the driver waited until 9:30 (an hour and a half) before he contacted us to depart and return to Panama City. There are often some delays when disembarking a cruise ship so we are particularly attentive to that issue, but a 2 hour delay is particularly unusual and after waiting for a very reasonable amount of time, we ultimately had to work with the assumption that the client had failed to show, which is a common enough occurrence.

The person that you met while looking for us contacted me directly and I immediately got back in touch with the driver who had already nearly returned to Panama City (an hour away from Colon). He immediately turned around and drove all the way back to your location to look for you but was again unable to locate you, I would assume that by that time you had connected with another transportation provider that was at the port.

Unfortunately in the tourism industry, transportation services are inherently the most difficult to manage due to the high amount of variable factors that affect punctuality (for instance the unusually late disembarkation from your ship). Our transportation is operated by an independent provider that has been proven highly punctual and very service-oriented over the last 4 years that we have done business together and it is very disappointing that your negative experience not only resulted in general logistics problem, but didn't even allow you to experience the excellent eco-adventures that are the true core of our business. Furthermore, this incident left us at a loss in that we still had to incur the cost of paying the transportation provider so there should be no question as to the importance of successfully providing all aspects of the activities and services that we offer.

I hope the rest of your visit to Panama was positive and memorable. If you have the chance to return in the future, I would welcome the opportunity to have another chance to host you. Safe travels!