“Steer well clear”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Chislehurst
“Steer well clear”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

As I write this I am in bed with terrible food poisoning having visited the Gurkha Square. I live locally and was keen to try this new restaurant and so ate last night with my girlfriend.
We ordered poppadums to start and had to send the mint yoghurt dip back as it was very salty. We received an apology and were told that a new pot would be made. A second pot came just as salty as the first and we could not eat it.
For the main I ordered a Sherpa Chicken, it sounded lovely so I was really looking forward to it but was disappointed with the massively overwhelming flavour of cardamon killing all other flavours and again the saltiness of the dish.
My girlfriend, luckily for her, decided to order a vegetarian dish, despite not being vegetarian. Her dish was salty and she could not eat it all but at least she didn't end up with food poisoning.

At 2am I was awoke with excruciating stomach pains followed shortly after by the inevitable. I attempted to go to work the next morning and thankfully working reasonably nearby made it without any accidents, however was sent home ten minutes later by my boss.
I ave since been laid out on my sofa and am still, nearly 24hrs later still suffering flu like muscular aches over my entire body, Imodium has yet to take effect but thankfully the vomiting has ceased.

I have reviewed what I had eaten over the last few days and there is nothing could have remotely caused symptoms such as these, indeed I made sure I was adamant before deciding to post this.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Daniel C

London, United Kingdom
“Splendid Evening Out - Service and Value”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We have become frequent visitors. The new owners have introduced a range of (as far as I can tell) genuine Nepalese dishes, and offer service that is a joy - friendly, but retaining some formality.

We have visited with friends, and the restaurant never disappoints.

• Visited May 2012
6 Thank JFC52
New York
“Quality”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

As we live nearby we gave it a try, I wasn't expecting much. We have now been three times. There are no shortages of curry houses in Chislehurst, but this is one of the best. Service was brilliant, we loved the dishes and each time they have brought us a complimentary taster and dessert drink. They just sent us a voucher as it was my husband's birthday. We will be back!

• Visited March 2012
8 Thank doesit
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, building could do with some TLC”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I've been to Dhaba in Chislehurst several times now after it was recommended by a family friend, even though it's a fair drive from where I stay when I'm down in London (I live in Warwickshire). It occupies the middle ground between a "high-street curry house" and those places where the food's more "authentic" (ie you haven't heard of the dishes and they're not as spicy) but more expensive as a result.

The food's really very good, and Dhaba is locally very well known for it. I've had the lamb curry with apricots more than once, and it's superb every time - very different to the run-of-the-mill dish, with tiny little sweet apricots in. The portions are as large as any I've had in an "Indian" (the owners are either Pakistani or Bangladeshi, I forget which now) and larger than most - the lamb jalfrezi and peshwari naan I had most recently filled me up without anything else needed. Their chicken biryani is a very good version, though the vegetable curry that went with it was a bit average (that's the worst I could say, mind). Each dish I've had, basically, is a very good twist on the bog-standard version we've come to expect.

The only thing I've noticed in recent visits was that they seem to have had a problem with smells rising from the drain at the back of the property, which for someone like me with a sensitive nose can be a bit off-putting if you get a whiff of it when doors are opened. They cover it up well enough with joss sticks (which I like), and are on the case of what they do know is a buildings problem that needs sorting. Other than that, the service was friendly and the plates, glasses etc were spotless.

My bottom line is that I'll be going driving over for a meal here when I'm next down in Lewisham. Well recommended for an evening out on the curry.

• Visited September 2011
4 Thank LinJie
“Great sunny afternoon meal”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We had a really good meal on a very sunny Tuesday afternoon. The place was quiet but service perfect. We had two set meals and they were great value, especially the steak. Our son had the scampi and usually he can clear his plate but this time he was defeated.

Would be nice of they sold draught beer as it's a gastro pub but that's being niggly.

We will definitely go again.

3 Thank Furio2001