“Great choices”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Leicester
“Great choices”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Loved the incredible service, the quiet music and the warmth.

Struggled with the promised taste experience. Living where I do with huge flavours, marinated meat (and lower cost i.e the North), this food is prepared to a Chislehurst local standard for taste. It was really well prepared, cared for and beautifully presented but does cater for a less experienced audience (sorry friendly and welcoming locals). Not the Lancer's fault as they must match their customers' needs.

When I return, and I will, I will very politely ask the chef for a chat so that I can be blown away by the taste.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank mingthemeciless
Shazel C, Owner at Bengal Lancer, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Hi,

We do endeavour to provide a sense of warmth and strive to provide our ‘guests’ with a pleasant evening to remember us by. We are glad this is how you have felt.

Our chefs are always very happy and will be delighted to uniquely make each dish to your taste buds. Our chefs are trained and have the expertise to cook beyond to cook and blend spices beyond our menu offering; so when you do return, please do let us know how you would exactly like it.

We look forward to seeing you soon and we hope you have a lovely Christmas from myself and everyone at the Bengal Lancer.

Best regards,
Bengal Lancer Management

London
“Not as good as we were lead to believe.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have lived in Chislehurst for about 8 years now and have heard about the reputation of the Bengal Lancer being the best curry house in the area. So Saturday night, we decided to give it a go and see if we should beleive the hype.
Well, what a disapointment. The food was ok. Nothing special at all. The only good thing was the mango chutney with the popadoms. Lovely chuntney, shame the rest of the meal was not as good.
The service was abysmal. Not a single smile on the waiters faces. They looked as if the customers were a hindrance to them. The service was very rushed. No sooner at the starters been cleared away, out came the main dish. Which was brought on a trolley by a running waiter - the waiter actually ran the food to the customers. I would not have minded this if the place was full - but it wasnt.
The nice touch is the piano player.
So overall, ok food, nice piano player, not bad pricewise, terrible service by sullen waiters. The service has put me off from going back.

• Visited September 2012
Shazel C, Owner at Bengal Lancer, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Customer,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience at the Bengal Lancer.

We consider our customers as guests and it is very important to us each and everyone has a memorable and pleasant experience and unfortunately this had not been the case on your visit.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the Bengal Lancer.

In the meantime, I can assure you that we are taking this very seriously.

I would to invite you to the Bengal Lancer for a complimentary meal for you and your partner as you are very valuable to us and to let us give you our hospitality.

We hope you have a lovely Christmas from everyone here and look forward to seeing you soon.

Best regards,
Pabel, Director
Kent, United Kingdom
“Used to be the best in local area, now the absolute worst.”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I don't know if they are under new ownership but the last 2 orders have resulted in uncooked food and incorrect orders being provided.

We used to rely on the Bengal Lancer as reliable good curry, but 3 times in a row now has resulted in a very low standard of food. We ordered the sea bream most recently and the fish was clearly frozen before being cooked as the outside was cremated and the inside was completely raw. Also the chicken chat was seemed to be made of the pre cooked sliced chicken that you buy in the supermarket dropped into a very watery sauce. The results... Vile.

Take my advice and avoid. It's really expensive too!

Chislehurst, United Kingdom
“Charming and love the live piano”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This restaurant is charming and classic example of indian cuisine, and the live piano music creates a great atmosphere, although I would advise taking a table towards the the middle/back of the restaurant as it is a little loud at the front.
A great alternative to the Tamasha restaurant in Bromley as it seems to have become overpriced these days for todays climate, but at the Bengal Lancer the staff, especially two young gentlemen have often offered us drinks on the house, a beer for myself and a glass of rose for my wife, which is always much appreciated. For the prices, which at a glance are dear compared to other places, however the price includes the atmosphere, the food, and the convenience as its right next door to the Bulls Head pub.
During times when busy, the service can become slow and the food does take a little time to come out, but its worth it when it does. I advise booking over the weekends for tables after 8 oclock.
Altogether a great place to wine and dine.

• Visited June 2012
6 Thank Dave L
marbella
“Dissaponting”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

A regular of the Bengal some years ago, it seems to be a bit dated now with average food.

Visited June 2012