“Proper English Pub”

The Six Bells
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Woodchurch
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional British pub serving locally sourced home cooked food in the heart of the beautiful village of Woodchurch, Kent. Large beer garden at front and rear of the pub.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Fantastic atmosphere, relaxed landlord and staff who are easy to talk to, which I always expect from a pub. Waiting or own service available when ordering food, so no rush in enjoying lunch or dinner. Always enjoy coming here for an afternoon. Would highly recommend.

1  Thank NathC2109

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Came here with a couple of friends. Had a great evening. Lovely meal, food was good! :) all a fairly good price. Staff was polite and welcoming too. Will definitely go back again :)

3  Thank Yasmin Marie V
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I are retired publicans having owned and run many pubs throughout our life. We happened to be eating in the restaurant on this day, and witnessed it all. Very unpleasant for the two, who i believe to have been local ladies, of mature age. When one of the ladies expressed a grievance to the barmaid, the barmaid escalated the situation from there on taking great offence and dislike towards the lady. I have written many write ups for magazines and my passion for this industry has even passed onto my son who does Mystery Dining visits for a well known company and reviews. The barmaid involved obviously does not realise that she is responsible for the first impression given to customers and the repuatation of her work place. Eating and drinking out is an extravagance for most of us these days. The Restaurant Industry is one of the most competitive in the country and sites like these offer a simple and democratic way of conducting reviews using members of the public and their experiences to become a successful establishment, which i feel this barmaid fails to understand. We, the customer provide critique that goes beyond 'word of mouth' and seldom ignored. Although the Landlord attempted to see to the ladies needs once a problem had been recognised he failed to notice the scowling face of the barmaid that continued which myself and my husband observed and prehaps he should have sent her home. I avoided her service as i also did not want us to be her next victims and nor did the table next to us. Apart from this girl, who has let down her collegues and customers experiences with her nonchalant attitude, the others appeared friendly and very attentive and i'm sure if this young girl had not been working, responses would be very different. It is a beautiful pub set in a lovely village enviroment. It has a very good menu and an extensive range of drinks to be enjoyed. I only hope as we left the pub that the publicans have put it right with these two ladies, like good publicans should.

22  Thank VanDerVarken
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very pleased that I took my wife here. Lovely atmosphere, lovely food and a friendly reception. I always find that pubs usually accept orders at the bar.

2  Thank Chris1951_13
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I went in with my 81 year old friend, who had lived in the village for 60 years before retiring to
Lewes. I have lived in Woodchurch for 40 years and have brought up my 3 children who are all local to the village and we had just been visiting my sons grave in the church yard opposite. I regularly eat in this pub, the food can be pricey but has always been fair and although service has not always been wonderful I have had no major complaints. However we were treated by the young bar maid as if we were daft old biddies, when we arrived we found a quiet spot so we could chat and we thought we would be served from our table as we were eating lunch but NO, how dare we expect waitress service!! the fact we both have trouble moving about was of no concern to this rude and mardy bar maid. The owner did come over after she had turned her back on me as I did challenge her on how rude she was being to us as I could not believe the terrible attitude! But no apology. We left upset and very shaken by our treatment and to had insult later my daughters aw we had been referred to on her open Facebook wall for the world to see in a variety of very nasty terms :-( which I can not print here, this I find the most upsetting. Such a shame that customer service/satisfaction means so little, I may be elderly but I will not apologise for expecting good manners, so next time we shall have to go next door to the Bonny Cravat !

17  Thank unhappy w