“We loved it”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Wellrose Barn

Harvest time in field adjoining  Wellrose Entrance and stairs
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
View of the Barn from Wellrose Garden
Harvest time in field adjoining  Wellrose
Entrance and stairs
The kitchen / dining area
Wellrose barn in May
Shower room
Hob, toasters, Alessi coffee maker and kettle
King size bed
Wardrobe area
9 acre wood from kitchen window
View from Hall area
Wellrose garden in June
Frosty early morning January
Wellrose barn on the left over rape field
Hook in main room
Rainbow over adjoining field to Wellrose barn
Early morning dog walk behind Wellrose
Usual dog walk in near by field
Sunset behind 9 acre wood behind Wellrose
Hall area
Farm walk nearby
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

iblavier
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A very poor experience”
Reviewed July 26, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Looking to stay close to the gardens of Henry Moore Foundation, we booked for two nights Wellrose Barn, advertised on their own website as "Self-catering Bed&Breakfast for two", and stating "Kitchen area equipped with fridge stocked for a continental breakfast".
The "provisions" provided, for the 2 breakfasts for 2 persons, comprised goods from various supermarkets and consisted of half a loaf of brown bread (prepacked, not from a bakery, with a “sale by date” running out before our end of stay!), a portion of butter, jams (which were already open), 4 small eggs (also from a supermarket), 2 pints of milk and a small bottle of mixed fruit juice from Aldi.

The studio above a carport, has low roof eaves, reducing the usable space. The kitchen area is not well thought out, and is a very small space with a 2 ring hob and microwave (stuck in a low cupboard), compromising very much the amount of preparation which can be done. No soap or washing up liquid were provided, which again was not practical and demonstrates the lack of attention from the owner.

The space is very much compromised from the kitchen area to the seating area with a tiny dining table (although sufficient for the breakfast provided!).

The views from the roof windows are very restricted by the tall hedgerow blocking the views on one side, and non-existent on the other side due to the woodland opposite the road.

Close to Stansted airport, the planes and their noise are very much a feature of the area. The countryside is intensively cultivated, with footpaths running along hedgerows of trees limiting the views to the fields you walk in.

Overall, Wellrose Barn is overpriced for the breakfast provided and too small to be a comfortable self-catering alternative

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Aug 2, 2017

Dear Ms Blavier,

We very much regret that you found Wellrose did not meet your expectations following your recent stay. I can only respond to your comments in the same vein as our email correspondence as follows:

The provisions in Wellrose Barn are sourced predominantly from either Waitrose or the local farm shop or, in the case of the eggs, from a local smallholding with free range chickens. The provisions sourced for your visit, including the eggs (medium), were from Waitrose as the smallholding’s chickens did not oblige on the day.  I think your reference to Aldi was probably related to the packaging for the ready cooked meals you purchased. In terms of what is provided I can only refer to the website, and I quote, ‘We provide complimentary welcoming provisions, including tea, coffee, fresh bread, butter, jams, milk, fruit juice and eggs’. On a more minor note responding to one of your comments, the cleaning materials (including washing up liquid) were located under the kitchen sink. I am sorry that you did not find the kitchen layout and room views to your liking; all I can say is that over the years many guests have expressed an entirely different view, including the guests who followed you to the Barn who are very much looking forward to returning.I regret that you found the fact that the footpaths run alongside hedgerows not to your taste. Along with the vast majority of walkers who enjoy the area as well as the local community this is regarded as a beautiful feature which I have never heard of anyone wanting to change even if we were in a position to do so.  I am sorry you felt the local farming is intense. The farmers sow a range of crops but no more intensely than elsewhere in the majority of the country. Many walkers love the view these crops provide.You mention the proximity of Stansted. Wellrose is located just under 12 miles from Stansted and whilst there are occasions on some days that you can hear aircraft I do not recognise your suggestion that they are a ‘feature’ of the area.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit though I remain slightly puzzled that you did not mention any of your concerns during the course of your stay. I fear the complaints have more to do with my reluctance to respond positively to your ambition to secure a full refund for your stay following your comments suggesting the Waitrose provisions were, to use your description, ‘industrial’. We take some consolation from the many guests we have enjoyed hosting over the past 12 years who have used adjectives such as stunning’, ‘beautiful’, ‘relaxed’, ‘comfortable’ and, perhaps the best accolade, asked the question, “when can we come back”?

Amanda Manthorp

LondonKev...
Perth, Australia
“Very nice barn but some issues”
Reviewed February 13, 2017 for a stay in November 2016
person found this review helpful

Lovely looking place with a cosy feel to the barn in a peaceful area. Fully equipped with kitchen utensils, double toaster, 2 hot plates, microwave and small fridge. Double bed was comfy and tv picked up almost all Freeview channels which was helpful in keeping the kids quiet with cartoons. Heater kept the barn warm all night. Lovely decor and well kept all-round.

Issues we had were as follows. Hot water for the shower ran out, hot water tank size good for 2 adults (not 4 ppl)... although later found out the owner was unplugging the hot water cylinder/boiler each day so it could not heat up as needed. Very tight indeed!! Security gate had some issues and would not open on 2 occasions. I had to phone the owner, who told me she had locked the gate by accident at 9:15pm. Not what we needed when returning from a long day after a funeral. 2nd time the gate was broken and did not open at all. I had to park my car outside and climb through a gap in the hedge in the pouring rain. Not ideal! Another reviewer appears to have had hot water issues too. Work on getting this right and the barn will be near perfect.

Feb 17, 2017
Firstly, thank you for your kind comments regarding the cosiness, décor, general presentation and location of Wellrose Barn. However I was upset and surprised by your comments regarding the hot water. With 4 of you staying in the Barn this will be at the limit of what a single hot water tank will cope with particularly when one or more members of the family have a long shower which I gathered for Kev is what happened on the morning you experienced a problem. As soon as you complained I asked my partner to increase the timing of the water heater which had is normally set for 3 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the evening and an hour’s boost at mid-day, timings which we have been told by many guests are more than adequate. As far as the immersion heater being turned off this happens when the normal heating timing ‘kicks in’. I would add that even having increased the timings, with 4 using the shower, two for lengthy periods, the tank will still drain faster than it can re-heat so some patience would be needed. I hope in hindsight you would agree that the description of ‘tight’ is very unfair. We would of course apologise for the electric remote on the gate failing; this is an electronic device and very, very occasionally at times which are impossible to predict such devices can fail In summary, we believe that Wellrose offers an exceptional balance of comfort, location, décor, convenience, privacy and relaxation at a very competitive price; whilst we could of course take such steps as leaving the hot water on 24/7 but this would inevitably have an impact on charges and your holiday for your family of four would not be possible at £60 per night.
ParkerNL
Hamilton, Bermuda
“We loved it”
Reviewed October 7, 2016 for a stay in September 2016

Highly recommended! The barn is so well equipped and laid out it really is a home from home. So incredibly peaceful and private. We loved coming back to the barn after spending crazy days in London.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Bfsy
“Absolutely Amazing.”
Reviewed July 22, 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Fabulous barn in the most beautiful setting in the Hertfordshire countryside. Had a great time. My daughter,aged ten, loved the garden and the gorgeous dogs. Thanks for a great place to stay.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Jul 24, 2016
Thank you Heidi, the Dogs are always happy with any amount of attention! So glad you loved the setting of Wellrose. Kind regards Amanda
CaterinaA...
“Ms”
Reviewed April 17, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

My partner and I were looking for an idyllic countryside retreat and that's exactly what we found. Excellent value for money. Wonderful accommodation - light and airy yet cosy. The surrounding countryside is beautiful and we found the tranquility we were so desperately in need of. Amanda was helpful from the moment I first made contact. Even though the barn is pretty close to her own living quarters she ensured that she gave us the privacy we required whilst at the same time making it clear that she was available should we so need her assistance. Will definitely be booking again. Thanks Amanda!

Andrew-AM...
Berkhamsted
“Delightful in every respect!”
Reviewed February 18, 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

If you are looking for a delightful and decent place to stay when visiting this area look no further than Wellrose Barn! It is set in the most beautiful countryside with lovely views over rolling fields. The accommodation itself is outstanding - bright, clean, modern, comfortable, quiet, well furnished and very private. I cannot, through the written word, do justice as to just how lovely this place is - sufficient, perhaps, to say that I look forward to staying there again soon.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peace and quiet that we experienced.
Liked least: Leaving...!!!
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Feb 19, 2016
Andrew. A wonderful review; thank you so much for taking the time to post it. We think Wellrose Barn is unique but it is wonderful to have written confirmation. Looking forward to your return.
Amanda and Vaughan.
Catherine...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Perfect for my weekly commute”
Reviewed July 25, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

I'm currently weekly commuting from Edinbrugh to a job down South and I'm staying at Wellrose for a few weeks during the week whilst I wait for my longer term flat to vacate. It's perfect, much more snug than an hotel and I can make my own breakfast and dinner.
It's in immaculate condition and a very bright and cheerful space with lovely views over fields. It's got everything you need, including wifi and loads of plugs. The shower is nice and powerful too.
The garden is lovely and the smell of lavender in the evenings is delightful.
Amanda has been welcoming and kind.
Very handy for Stansted.
Highly recommended.

Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing