“Sunday Lunch”

The Hoops Inn Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hoops Inn is a classic British pub and dining room with a contemporary twist. It is a beautiful dining space with a roaring fire and stunningoutdoor areas and is a great placeto enjoy fine ales and the exceptional wine list.The food is seasonal and locally sourced, wherever possible, withherbs fresh from the garden. There are daily specials alongsideclassic gastro pub fare - all superbly executed within a warmand relaxing atmosphere.Set within the beautifulsurroundings of the Henry MooreFoundation Estate in the village of Perry Green, near Much Hadham, The Hoops Inn is now under new management as of November 2012. The Hoops Inn has an interesting history and is believed to havebeen built about 1834, a date found on several interior beams. Throughout the 19th Century, it was described simply as a "beerhouse" and more recently was well known as the local of thegreat sculptor himself.The Hoops Inn is also available to hire for events and parties.All visitors to The Henry Moore Foundation benefit from a rangeof special offers when dining at The Hoops. Collect a voucherwhen buying tickets at the Visitor Centre during the open season.
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

First Sunday Lunch, since the new management.
Absolutely fantastic.
Generous servings, high quality food, great ambience.
Possibly a best Sunday Lunch we have had in the area.
Higher end prices, but you pay for quality.
Highly recommended !

Hertford, United Kingdom
“Absolute rip-off”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Visited with my mother and boyfriend and we were all stunned by how over-priced the place was and what a poor service we received.Had a really long wait for food even though it wasn't busy at all, the staff were totally disinterested and had to be reminded several times to bring the portion of chips we ordered (eventually arrived afetr we'd finished all the other food). Paid around £10 for a small, very ordinary-tasting pasty that I could've gotten for about £1 in Tesco; it didn't even come with so much as a salad garnish! I couldn't agree more with the other reviewer who suggested they are taking advantage of the location... I absolutely recommend the Henry Moore Foundation for a lovely day out, but my advice would be to bring a picnic, eat before you come, visit a pub in one of the nearby villages, basically anything you can do to avoid this restaurant at all costs! Believe me I'd be happy to pay these prices if the quality of food and service matched up, but The Hoops Inn is at Michelin Star prices with an experience worse than your run-of-the-mill cafe.

• Visited October 2011
Simon C, Manager at The Hoops Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
As of November 2012 The Hoops Inn is now under complete new management with the team from Host Restaurant in Bishops Stortford, who have taken over the site and have new menu's and new opening times, please see our website.

I hope from this point forward we will see much improved customer reviews as we strive to deliver excellent food and service in a lovely pub setting.

We would very much welcome you coming again and letting us know what you think of The Hoops now.
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Excellent atmosphere and staff”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were surprised to find the restaurant almost empty when we visited. The interior is very well designed and the outside garden really pleasant.
The staff were excellent and the service efficient, quick and friendly.
The food is a bit better than the 'average' rating but could best be described as 'good pub food'; which is, after all, what it claims.
It seems a pity that the restaurant is not better frequented by locals, in the evenings, when the Henry Moore Foundation is closed.
I was surprised that the Foundation is to close the Pub during the winter months! They are missing an opportunity to encourage Autumn and Christmas meals in a very pleasant setting.
Good luck to the staff who will have to make other arrangements.

• Visited August 2012
“Excellent place to visit.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I recently visited the hoops for lunch with some friends. When we arrived on the Sunday, we took into consideration the fact that they were so busy and there would be a wait. I was surprised to find such quick responses to the customers. We were seated and within 10 minutes our order was taken. We were told that the food would be a while but it was quicker than we thought. The food was wonderful and the service was excellent. Overall our day was well spent. I would recommend the hoops to anyone looking for a nice day out.

London
“Taking advantage of location - better bring a picnic”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went here before visiting Henry Moore Foundation house and garden. The pub is owned by them as well... Village very attractive and pub looks the piece but for the prices they charge you would expect table service for food. I had to wait a long time at the bar to place food and drink order. Their menu stipulates main course and dessert for one price or three courses for another. I asked if it was possible to have a starter and main but this was not allowed, I had to have either main and dessert or three courses... most bizarre I thought. Ended up just having a main in the end which was 'dressed crab'. Well all that I can think is that is was 'undressed' from the cellophane wrapping these crabs come ready prepared in. The slice of lemon addition was like something you get in a gin and tonic, and the only other dressing was at the side of the mixed leaf salad. It also came with roast potatoes. Pretty boring and not particularly flavoursome. For vegetarians the choice was also pretty poor, with a cheese and tomato starter (if you decided to go off the wierd menu restrictions) and then a main course option of yes a goats cheese and tomato quiche...very inspiring.
So pretty poor overall unfortunately and I would recommend you take a picnic and eat it on the green. Shame as it is in a lovely location and the Henry Moore Foundation itself is a fantastic visit even if you are not an expert on his work. Delightful house tour and fabulous gardens to wander in.

• Visited August 2012