“Not as good as usual”

Ponsbourne Park Hotel and Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have visited this restaurant many times and never been disappointed until now. It has always been good value with well served and well presented food. Unfortunately, something has changed recently.

On my visit last week with my wife and four friends the usual wow factor was missing. It started in the bar where they were only able to serve three of the six drinks we ordered. They had even run out of red wine!

There was the usual fixed menu with sufficient choices for each course. However, our order for the first course was not served correctly and the main courses lacked the usual quality we had all enjoyed in the past. The meat dishes were a bit on the tough side and with vegetables piled on the plate in the kitchen, rather than being served at the table, it now looks as if Ponsbourne has given up trying to be a good restaurant. This may be to do with a fairly recent change of ownership or perhaps we were just a bit unlucky with the chef that night.

Service was not as attentive as usual and generally this was not a memorable meal.

There will have to be an improvement to tempt me back there which is a great pity because I have certainly enjoyed all my previous visits.

1  Thank DavidH118WH

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

From the moment that we stepped into Ponsbourne on our first viewing the staff could not have been more accomodating. The service was superb from day one. The food was fantastic. Room organisation was spot-on. Every member of staff had a smile for us. The events co-ordinator was there every step of the way for guidance and to help my daughter realise her dream. Finally I have to mention Des, the master of ceremonies. His humour, his knowledge, his patience and when needed ( to keep things moving) his gentle assertiveness. He led us through our day so that we never needed to worry about where to be and what to do.
Finally the setting. Well what to say. A stunning venue. The photos that were taken by the guests are brilliant and I can't wait to see the professional ones. Special day. Special staff and special venue.

2  Thank Derek W
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Fantastic meal at the Pondsbourne , it was a meal tasting for my daughters wedding coming up soon. Everything was beautifully served and tasted fresh and of good quality. It made is so hard to choose. We were very impressed and look forward to having a wonderful time .

2  Thank SOFIE51
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Had as usual a great stay at Pondsbourne park.. it did include our meal .. which was very nice staff excellent service great ..We had FISH N CHIPS it was great good old fashion way in newsprint, with all the trimmings, Our stay in the hotel , was included in the price ,as was our breakfast. ALL FOR £79.. FOR TWO CANNOT BE BEATEN .. in our opinion

3  Thank sylvia n
Reviewed September 27, 2013

A large (around 15) attended the Ponsbourne for Sunday lunch and it was superb! The staff we excellent and very cooperative. With 15 or so people talking, trying to get food ordered was a bit of a challenge, but we did and everyone commented on the great quality of the food and at a very reasonable price as well. Highly recommended!