“Fantastic”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Portsmouth
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Can't wait to go back again!!

Had a great lunch here today (friday 23rd August) with my mum & daughter! All the food was fresh, hot & very yummy, especially the steak & ale pie. All the staff were so friendly & very obliging. Had a good look around the building, so full of character & some great photos & memorabilia on the walls. Won't leave it long before our next visit.

Fareham
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Had lunch with the family yesterday (21st August) at the Fox & Hounds to celebrate my husband's birthday. There were five of us in the party (no children) and we were all impressed: the food was delicious and reasonably priced at £10 per head (without drinks and tips). The service was prompt, the staff were friendly, the venue pleasing and the pub itself was clean and cosy. It was also very easy to reserve a table on-line. We would not hesitate to recommend this pub and intend going back there again to celebrate my birthday.

Dibden Purlieu, United Kingdom
“Good family lunch”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

With three young children (and a dog), eating out can often be a challenge. The Fox and Hounds rose to the occasion with a good value lunch time menu for adults plus a children's menu, all eating requirements were met. The menu(s) were normal pub fare but that was all that was needed.Simply and promptly served clean plates was all that was left.

The weather was favourable which enabled us to eat outside (almost essential with a dog) where the food was served to us in pleasant surroundings.

Southampton, United Kingdom
“food great, service okay - a pleasant enough evening”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

It always puzzles me when you walk in somewhere , particularly a restaurant and are greeted with someone saying "can I help you?". Obviously we have come to eat or drink.

Having driven to the middle of nowhere, a beautifully appointed pub and barn to get this question just started me on the wrong track. Please think of something else to say. "Hello" would be a start, or even better, " Hi where would you like to sit, the pub or the Barn" - it's not rocket science, it really isn't.

We said we'd like a table, and the response was, " Have you booked?" - a valid question, but the look of horror when we said no, was the response we had.

Having been pointed towards a couple of tables in the lobby between the pub and barn, I wandered through to the Barn and there were 3 , maybe 4 tables and so we took one of those. It would have been nice had the member of staff come with us rather than pointing in the direction of tables, or else just don't say anything, I'm more than capable of finding a non reserved table, and had I had a reservation I'm sure I would have asked someone where it was. That all came from the first cliched " Can I help you?"

We had 3 waitresses, at the table, all very pleasant indeed, no problem at all and the starter, drinks and food all arrived in a nice timely manner - not rushed not slow.

3 waitresses means there is no rapport, and it was all a little quiet for my taste.

Our food was fine as well, wife had a well cooked rump steak and I had a huge speciality steak burger. It was good.

A pleasant evening out, that could have been improved by the initial greeting for us.

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Highly recommend - a lovely relaxed evening!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was very very pleased with my visit to the Fox & Hounds for a Friday evening meal. After being extremely disappointed with The White Rabbit (part of the same chain but that is the ONLY similarity), I was very apprehensive about going to another Chef & Brewer but even from the phone call to the restaurant to book the table I could tell we were in for good service. The pub is very pretty with rustic exposed wooden beams and a nice seating area outside. This mixed with with a warm and welcoming atmosphere is a very good start! All of the staff were friendly and seemed genuinely happy to help. The food was very tasty and the portions were very generous. (I had the lasagne which was served with chips and a lovely side salad and my boyfriend had the shoulder of lamb which he said was delicious). The food was hot on arrival with warm plates to maintain the warmth. Both the main course and pudding were served promptly but you didn't feel rushed at all. The only quibble was where we were sat (by the toilets and kitchen) but I didn't notice it once throughout the meal and I could of asked to be moved somewhere else.

So basically if you fancy a nice relaxed evening, head to the Fox & Hounds for great service and tasty grub at a reasonable price! I will certainly be returning.