“Good food, Good service, but the Housekeeping needs improving”
Review of Headley Park Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sleaford
Headley Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sleaford
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Had a Groupon voucher for Headley Park Hotel in Bordon near Guildford. It was a big old house, owned by Lithuanians and for a long time was a sort of home for expats fleeing communism. Very nice setting. Small dining room, with a very pleasant waitress, who doubled as hotel receptionist.

Had a two course deal (with portions like that we didn’t want sweet). I had vegetable soup and pork belly; my wife had garlic mushrooms and liver and bacon. After the meal had a pleasant walk down to the lake.

Downside - the housekeeping - there was a lot of dust about on the furniture, tables etc - What are the kitchens like?

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Incartek

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked a Groupon offer here without checking the reviews first.

Arrived for afternoon tea and it was clear the staff have no formal training. Ignored us in reception for 15 minutes. Afternoon tea then served - no cutlery or serviettes. Bar staff used fingers to drop a slice of lemon in my wife's G&T!

Hotel room adequate but very run down. Toilet flush broken and blood on toilet roll holder.

Romanian christening at hotel went on until 3.30am with guests shouting in the grounds and extremely loud music until this time. We complained about the noise at breakfast the next morning, only to be told by the manageress that it was a relief nobody had been stabbed this time!

Breakfast was OK, although only half cutlery at the table again so had to stir out coffee (which was cold) with a knife!

Please do your research before booking here. Completely ruined out night away!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lee G
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Had a training course here last week. Found the food to be great, the locals and staff gave us a night to be remembered. The hotel is still in the process of being updated but is so quirky. If you're not looking for luxury but a fun night away, do go.

Room Tip: Apparently the left of the main entrance has been updated but I stayed on the right of the bar and i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Frizziefire
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed here on a groupon offer and found it perfectly acceptable for the price we paid. The afternoon tea was a little bit disappointing and I think the chocolate ecclair had given up on life the previous week but we were hungry and ate it anyway!
The staff seem a little inexperienced and some training would make such a difference, they seem so unsure of everything.
The room itself was large with a lovely modern bathroom and beautiful views if the lake. The decor was tired and it wasn't spotlessly clean but it was acceptable and that was fine for us.
The building is lovely and I get the feeling this place could be something special with some funds and love injected into it. We would stay again on a groupon offer but maybe not at full price.

Room Tip: Room 3 had a great view and is very large.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We booked an afternoon tea for 3 at the this hotel, what we were given was a shoddy excuse for an afternoon tea.
After booking our reservation two weeks previously, we arrived to be greeted by a receptionist with a giant chip on her shoulder. She could find no record of our booking and would have been happy for us to walk away. Maybe using a better system than an notebook may have helped them to keep track of their bookings better. No offer was made to accommodate us, and no apology was given. We had to ask the receptionist to find out what had happened, and she shrugged and said "I don't know if there is enough for you".
She eventually came back and told us to find a seat, rolled her eyes and asked "Tea or coffee?" We sat out to enjoy the weather and the grounds looked lovely, but the cigarette butts covering the floor were disgusting.
Our afternoon tea was served, and it looked like something my 4 year old had made. Cakes were clearly bought from a supermarket, the cream for the scones was frozen and the sandwiches looked like they had been thrown together by someone wearing a blindfold.
The only plus point to this was our waiter, who was polite, helpful and regularly checked to see if there was anything else he could do to help us.
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank ellezbellz
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Like others on this page we bought an afternoon tea for two at this hotel.
It was so awful it was funny, a real Fawlty Towers experience.
We booked for a Sunday afternoon tea at 3pm. It was a lovely warm sunny day and the hotel/grounds were busy. It is a lovely setting with open grass down to a lake.
We went into the reception area and were greeted quickly, stating we had come for afternoon tea.
The staff member was friendly and told us that cakes had run out and they had had to go down to the supermarket to get more! She asked were we would like to sit, we said there was a table free in the shade close to the hotel, she said that there had been a wedding the previous Friday and the area was still covered in cigarette butts! We chose to sit indoors.
The interior is rather past its best, and would be a god candidate for another TV show to improve its appearance. We waited rather too long to be served a pot of tea (spout stained) and 4 cakes, 2 chocolate eclairs and 2 custard doughnuts - which had very obviously been shop bought. The two rounds of sandwiches - one ham and mustard, the other brie and cranberry looked as if they had been slapped together rather hastily, and looked very unappetizing, at this point we decided to leave. There is nothing I can think of that would induce us to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tryavna
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We turned up for a meal that was booked for us by my mother in law through group on for an Easter present... After being very excited for a week I was disappointed the minute I walked in! The places as dead and walking in we were not greeted by anyone! after 10 minutes a young lad came to greet us,we were shown to a table in a room that resembled a school hall, we waited for 15 minutes until we were asked what we wanted to drink after another fifteen until we were a shoved a menu, I ordered mushroom gratin... Followed by chicken with a pancetta and potato gratin well this sounded good but was nothing like what was going to come, after waiting an hour we were getting rather hungry... I was presented with a garlic broth with mushrooms floating on top, it was just hideous! I visited the toilet between courses and came face to face with a toilet covered in faeces and moths as big as my hand with a sign referring to no drugs in the property if they have to have a sign Its slightly worrying?! As I was leaving I noticed there was a checklist of toilet checks and the last time they were checked was at 11:30 it was now 8:50! At 9:15 our mains turned up... The chicken was soaked in a pasta bake sauce with mash potato... Nothing like I have chosen for the menu! Through all the problems there were no waiting staff, no one to be seen! I am thorough.y upset and disappointment with our evening and can't quite believe it is a Devere Hotel I would tell ever be and anyone I know NOT to go anywhere near this place! The standard if this food was no better than a chain fast food restaurant!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chloe D

Been to Headley Park Hotel? Share your experiences!