“Great food, good value, really helpful staff”
Review of Smiths Restaurant

Smiths Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 58 Restaurants in Eccles
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Smith's is one of our favourite local restaurants, we've been there many times, and it never disappoints. The menu changes frequently, so there's always a mixture of old favourite dishes and creative specials. There is a £19.95 fixed price menu, even on weekends. On this visit one of our party was gluten and lactose free, and the manager couldn't have been more helpful. Mash was made without butter, crab salad dressing without yogurt, nothing was too much trouble.

Smiths works hard to attract business with weekly jazz nights and dinner theatre evenings. Situated next to Eccles railway station, it is easy to find, even on public transport. Hidden away, it is well worth a visit, or two.

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I are regular visitors to this restaurant. We have very little free time so what time we do get together is important! This restaurant has never failed to exceed our expectations.The food is creative and cooked to perfection and to top it off there is always something new for us to try! My personal favourite starter being the scallops! The staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating, and the environment is very friendly, warm and comfortable! And to top it off we can stagger home after a couple of bottles of our favourite wine! I would and do recommend this place to everyone!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Excellent food and friendly staff just one stop out of Victoria station so an handy venue without the crush Tuesday is live jazz night

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Been going for many years. Always very enjoyable. Have organised special evenings for an am dram society. Always been made to feel very welcome. Jazz and theatre nights very enjoyable. Food great. Local produce.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

After reading all the positive reviews we decided to drop in for Sunday lunch a few weeks ago. It was okay, but I have to say I was disappointed. It didn't live up to the high standards I was expecting. The first negative, in a very empty restaurant, was being seated in a corner of the room with other diners. I hate it when restaurants do that, as if you are being piled into the naughty corner. Why don't they allow paying customers to sit where they want? I also found the service slow and a little offhand, though not rude. Certainly no special effort was made.

The food and wine was of reasonable quality but nothing spectacular. A few weeks on, I can hardly remember what we had, which is no great recommendation. It's a shame, because I suspect that this could be a really special restaurant with just a little more attention paid to how they treat their customers. Take them for granted, and they will melt away. Hopefully this review, and the other recent ones like it, will act as a wake-up call.