“Platform 2”

Ranked #1 of 58 Restaurants in Eccles
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Excellent food and friendly staff just one stop out of Victoria station so an handy venue without the crush Tuesday is live jazz night

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Been going for many years. Always very enjoyable. Have organised special evenings for an am dram society. Always been made to feel very welcome. Jazz and theatre nights very enjoyable. Food great. Local produce.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

After reading all the positive reviews we decided to drop in for Sunday lunch a few weeks ago. It was okay, but I have to say I was disappointed. It didn't live up to the high standards I was expecting. The first negative, in a very empty restaurant, was being seated in a corner of the room with other diners. I hate it when restaurants do that, as if you are being piled into the naughty corner. Why don't they allow paying customers to sit where they want? I also found the service slow and a little offhand, though not rude. Certainly no special effort was made.

The food and wine was of reasonable quality but nothing spectacular. A few weeks on, I can hardly remember what we had, which is no great recommendation. It's a shame, because I suspect that this could be a really special restaurant with just a little more attention paid to how they treat their customers. Take them for granted, and they will melt away. Hopefully this review, and the other recent ones like it, will act as a wake-up call.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have been a few times and the food has always been nice. However I went to Smiths last week for my Uncles Birthday and how things have changed.
Firstly there was only around 12 people in the restaurant, which I thought was odd for a dinner time. There was two people working here, one lady wearing leggings and a denim skirt & flip-flops, which seemed a bit inappropriate and a gentleman who i'm assuming is the manager or owner.
Considering there was not many people in there it still took a while to be served, and food took a long time.
I ordered the lamb kebab with cous cous to start, the lamb was nice however the cous cous was tasteless and bland.
I then had Roast beef brisket in onion gravy with Yorkshire pudding and trimmings. Sounded delicious, however turned out to be a disappointment. The Yorkshire pudding was dry as a bone, the so called beef brisket was more like fatty braising steak, and the onion gravy if you can even call it that!! Well it was what looked like a spoonful of watery tasteless onion free sauce, not gravy anyway!
The roast potatoes which arrived were just ok, not much taste of flavour.
All in all total waste of time, I would NEVER return! There was 5 of us for the meal and not one of us enjoy it.
The meal cost around £120 which to be honest was a total waste of money and we could have gone somewhere in Manchester and had a much nicer meal which would have been more enjoyable and at least edible!

AVOID this place!!

3  Thank 19KS82
davidh833, Owner at Smiths Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Obviously I regret you did not enjoy your night at Smiths  -  a fact which you make abundantly clear in your outspoken comments - but as you  did not  give any indication of dissatisfaction on the night, we had no opportunity to investigate your complaints and see if they were grounded and,  if so,  to do something about them.   As a result  I have no option but to  address your complaints here .
You state the food was slow.  No complaint was made on the night but I have since checked the time of  your booking and of your bill.   Your booking was for 6.30pm and your bill was issued at 8.04 pm. The bill shows that various people had starters, main courses and desserts..   It does not strike me that   an hour and a half for five people to eat a three course meal can be considered  in any way slow service.
Your comments on the quality of the food:  it is again impossible to be specific because of your silence on the night, however a few general points must be made.   The couscous was flavoured with red onion & fresh tomato and is also seasoned.  What you described as "the so called beef brisket"   is precisely that  …….. ie slow braised brisket.  Admittedly not a hugely intricate dish, but immensely popular with our customers. The gravy is carefully made from homemade stock and caramelised onions and is not the more blatant packet variety.
With regard to your comments about the how the waitress was dressed :   You state you have been to Smiths on several occasions and so you will know that  the staff do not wear a uniform but that the emphasis is on friendly and professional service. Whilst you feel it relevant to say her clothing was inappropriate,  I feel it equally relevant to say the waitress has worked at Smiths for many years and  that her customer care is exemplary.
Clearly, we do not enjoy a customer berating us via social media but we feel the need to say that we care immensely about our standards, our customers and our food quality. We strive to maintain these standards and we do not accept they have "drastically dropped"
Finally I have looked at some other reviews you have posted here, including one where you say that you always order a well done steak at a particular restaurant - and that each and every time you have to send it back to be re-cooked.  Yet, this restaurant still deserves a four star review from you. To the recipient of your one star review, this just feels inconsistent.
Dave Hebden

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Food average yet overpriced for the quality. Seafood over cooked & some quite horrific bacon. Overall, I expected great things from other reviews but left incredibly underwhelmed.

2  Thank jolie n