All reviews day tour sun cruises malinta tunnel an overnight stay buffet lunch bring your own swimming pool hot and cold water outdoor activities japanese soldiers online booking tram tour different story comfortable accommodation recently renovated hotel history tours
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Sun Cruises has a monopoly on Corregidor tours. They operate the only ferry that goes to this island as well as the only hotel/inn on the island. (Please update me if this is not the case anymore!). We took overnight accommodations plus all the tours that goes with it (tram tour, Sunset Viewing, Malinta Tunnel at night, Japanese tunnel). If you read all the previous reviews from couple of years back, not much has changed with the tours and the accommodations. What previous reviewers have written is what I have experienced, taking this tour in August 2012. This kinda tells you how urgent the need is for the Corregidor Foundation to update in order to keep up with the times. This being said, let me just outline observations on both the inn and the tours.

Corregidor Inn:
1. Needs major renovation. The room ceiling looks newly painted. However, paint was chipping off from the ceiling and falling to the floor. This kinda tells you that the repaint was probably only cosmetic. Other room and bathroom yuckiness is as other reviewers say it is.
2. Food is super expensive! They will charge you Php450 for buffet with 2 viands, 1 vegetables, 1 pancit and rice. Dessert is biko! What the...??? Very limited ala carte menu. Nothing special yet expensive.
3. Staff has a practiced friendliness that comes with years of experience. It is great customer service from years of experience.

Tours:
1. Very friendly and helpful tour guides. However, spiel is pretty scripted. To the point that 2 different tour guides on different tours will say exactly the same jokes about the monkeys beside the road. Duh!
2. You have to pay for everything! I found it amusing that you have to pay for a trail guide if you want to go hiking. Mountain parks in other countries would usually just give you a trail map.
3. This whole experience is nothing but a commercialized adventure hiding behind the disguise of history and nature! Sad. I was hoping it would be more like a backpacking, explore or bike on your own kind of adventure.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
5  Thank M0mmyDearest
Reviewed August 17, 2012

stayed here during our overnight Corregidor tour. The room was cozy but the bathroom is just average. They have television only in the common room. They also have board games. A pool can be found outside but nobody was swimming. The staff were also accommodating. However the food was really expensive. Well they told us the reason why, but still.

Date of stay: September 2011
1  Thank mishi_4
Reviewed August 7, 2012

After a wonderful day tour, I stayed overnight at the Corregidor Inn. The inn was old, but OK. I looked past the age of everything, the door in the shower that would not shut, etc. I went with a small group to watch sunset at Battery Grubbs, but the sun was nowhere in sight, so I went on the night tour of the the hospital and deep into the Malinta tunnel. I returned and had a simple dinner of ribs and potato garlic soup at La Playa Restaurant. The prices were OK. But my big shock was about to come. The bed seemed as if a series of overly amorous morbidly obese lovers had made use of it before I did. As a result, I had a hard time sleeping in the valley that was the middle of the bed. Also, off in the distance, I could hear people singing karaoke and, throughout the following day, I could hear the radio blaring from downstairs. I woke up early to see the sun rise and go on a trek through the jungle, past overgrown ruins and through a Japanese tunnel. Nevertheless, those inconveniences were well worth the experience of seeing more of the island.

Tip: (1) Bring your own food for the lunch the following day because they wanted to charge me 450 pesos for the very small buffet lunch. (2) Do not buy soda from the inn because they charge double what the tram drivers charge so go downstairs when you hear a tram pull up and order a can of soda from them.

Room tip: Do not stay above the restaurant area where they play the radio very loudly and ask to face away from the entertainment complex they have so you will not have to hear the people singing karaoke at night.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
8  Thank William J
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Food: for its price (I think around P300 for a lunch/dinner meal?), the variety and the taste was poor. It was like eating leftovers at the neighbors'. They can set their price high up though cos there's no other choice for the guests.

Rooms: Looked and smelled old and are not well-maintained. Stained rattaned blinds and walls. Stained bathroom tiles. I had a few bed bug bites. Thinned towels. One of our towels had a rust stain. I think they do their job in cleaning the rooms. But some walls, tiles and things just get to a point where they need to be replaced - no amount of cleaning will be enough. Our first room also had a leak but we were transferred to another room.

Service: This pulls up the rating though. Service was excellent. Everyone was very attentive and pleasant - at the restaurant, reception, evening tour of the Malinta tunnel, the zip line and ATV. We were transferred to another room within 10 minutes we called them about the leak. Check-in and check-out process were quite fast even if all of the guests were checking in/out at the same time. And you can pretty much do whatever you want at any time. Lend you an umbrella without any hassle or provide a shuttle service.

I wouldn't say I'd love to go back to this hotel. But given what Corregidor can offer and the excellent service, it's not so bad to stay here again. I'd pay a little extra though if they replaced the beds at least.

Room tip: Avoid 208 - it leaks when it rains. Ask for a corner room (like 209) so you can have 2 sides of the room with windows. Open all windows and breathe in the fresh air.
Date of stay: June 2012
1  Thank mcmanila
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Me and my husband went to Corregidor last April and we really enjoyed our stay. We chose overnight package from Sun Cruises. The hotel room is clean, complete with hot and cold shower, air condition, and soft comfortable queen size bed. Room interior is very Filipino. Windows are made of Capiz shells.

The tour is great and fun. Two thumbs up for our tour guide Rowena! She is funny and jokes like Pokwang. :)

With regards to food, hotel menu is very limited. Maybe they should add some Filipino dishes like sisig, pork/chicken barbeque, and desserts like bibingka, puto, pichi pichi, etc.

Overall, we enjoyed our Corregidor vacation. Will surely visit Corregidor again! :)

Date of stay: April 2012