“Excellent” 4 of 5 bubbles

Nag's Head
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Sawley
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Nags Head prides itself on its outstanding Cask Ale Beers and Home made traditional English food at a fair price. At the Nags Head Inn it retains many of its original features with the lounge having beamed ceilings and the bar having a wood burning stove for the colder months.
Derby, UK
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We only live locally but never eaten here until a friend booked a birthday meal here in January.
We were a large groupso pre-ordered which was fine. Food was hot, came quickly and was excellent value for money. Sservice excellent too. Would certainly visit again.

Castle Donington, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were going to book a Boxing Day meal at another local restaurant, but the reviews were very worrying, so we checked those of the Nags Head. They were much more reassuring, so we booked there. Our party consisted of myself and my wife (both pensioners), my son and daughter-in-law (both mid-30's) and our two grandchildren (4 and 2), so quite an age-spread.

Having booked for Boxing Day, my son decided to throw a spanner in the works by advising me that he was booked to go to his in-laws for Boxing Day. They handled the change with no problem, and we re-booked for Friday 27th.

On the night, we were given a good length of time to study the extensive menu, which was a pleasant change from other places we have been to. All adults ordered a different meal, and we asked for one fish and chips for the two children. Fiona said that it would not be a problem and suggested that she could put the meal on two separate plates.

When the food appeared, I was convinced that they had made a mistake. It looked as if each child had their own whale with a stack of chips! All the adult meals were similarly well-proportioned and were well cooked. My only observation is that my wife found the gammon very salty, though my son obviously disagreed - he ate it!

Three different sweets (I was a good boy and passed), with ice cream for the kiddies, rounded of the meal. Together with drinks, the total came to less than £50 - amazing value.

We all thoroughly enjoyed our time at The Nags Head and will definitely be visiting again.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Ivor J
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Always good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I wrote a review back in April which was good and said we would come back to eat. Well, we have lived at the marina now for about 7 months and go to the nags for food most weeks. I can honestly say I have never been disappointed. Its its both home made and home cooked and always good. Tonight I had the rabbit pie and it was fantastic. Veg cooked perfectly. Mrs Livingonaboat is a veggie, but a pleasant one and had a veg lasagne. All perfectly cooked. 2 side orders, bill £14. What more do you need in a local. Please don't change.

1 Thank livingonaboat
Lichfield
“Good Home Cooked Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

What a great evening we had a good plateful of freshly cooked food at a fair price
A friendly pub and nothing was to much trouble for the staff
A good choice of dishes on the menu

1 Thank ra1nb0wstar
Nottinghamshire
“Hidden Gem...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We live very close to the Nag's and have had the odd drink in there with family but didn't realise they served food. The food is real 'pub grub' and is super value with generous portions. June who works behind the bar and serves food is a lovely lady who is always working hard. She is so friendly and accommodating, to be commended.

Perhaps the only negative i would say about the pub is cleanliness, could be improved.

Other than that head down to the Nag's for a great experience, old fashioned and authentic pub.

• Visited September 2013