My husband and I visited in late-May. The weather was beautiful (the rest of the region is 90-100 degrees all day and sticky and humid, while it is in the 80s here during the day and 70s at night). The surfing was great. (Granted, that’s coming from two people who surfed for the first time here, but we had a great time and found that during certain parts of the day they were great waves to learn on.) The people are friendly; the closest town – Todos Santos, is safe and has everything you need (grocery store, restaurants, even an organic market); and the beach is relatively empty, giving it a private feel.
We got a special deal for a one-bedroom room for six nights. When we booked the room, no one-bedrooms were available for the dates we were looking for, so we opted for a studio. Overall, we found it comfortable. Though there was no air conditioning, the standing fan kept us cool enough at night (in May), the bed was comfortable, and the dual sinks in the bathroom was nice.
The surf colony itself is beautiful. The pool and hot tubs are lovely, the outdoor beds with curtains are luxurious, and the landscaping is really well done. I wouldn’t change a thing.
Hot water – There was very little warm water for the shower, and it either came out burning hot or cold. We understood that this is in a desert setting and the Colony trucks in water, but if you’re paying $200+ per night, you expect to be able to take a warm shower at the end of a sandy day. They should truck in more water to make this possible.
Towels: We received two beach towels upon arriving. In order to get new ones we had to exchange them at the office. While not a big deal, this was a pain, especially when they ran out of towels and we had to re-use our sandy, wet towels from the day before. Same goes for the bath towels. The housekeeper replaced one towel per day, and since it always seemed to be the same one, we asked for a new shower towel halfway through our stay but the front desk was out. We had to wait until the next day to get a fresh towel.
Restaurant/bar: Given that the colony is removed from any main town, it would be nice if there were a second restaurant on the premises. While the food is very good, the dinner entrees are overpriced, and it would be nice to have more variety. We would have also liked to see the restaurant stay open past 9pm (the bar closes at 10pm, which we also felt was too early).
Overall, there were little mistakes made, which seem to be just growing pains. The Colony needs to figure out whether it’s a luxury resort or a surf village – right now the prices and the premises dictate the former, but the customer service dictate the latter. Once they figure that out, it should be smooth sailing.
First aid - One night I got a fever, but had forgotten a thermometer. The front desk neither had a thermometer nor any sort of first aid kit. This is a huge oversight. I would have also liked to see a very small stock of items for sale (bug spray, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cerritos Surf Colony is located on world famous Cerritos Beach with a reputation frequently noted in Surfer Magazine for champion surfing. Cerritos Beach is the best beach in Cabo, and voted first runner up in Los Cabos Magazine! Cerritos Surf Colony is a neighbor to both the Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel (a majestic mansion hotel located on a private cliff at the shore of the ocean), and the celebrity frequented hot spot Cerritos Beach Club & Surf where you can get surfing lessons, board rental, and great food.Cerritos Surf Colony is a beach front resort of Mayan inspiration and thatched palm roofs. The free standing studio, one, two, and four bedroom villas are solar energy assisted. Enjoy our amazing swimming pool and bar, surf the waves out your back door , climb the Sierra de la Lagunas, explore the artist colony of Todos Santos, or just lay back in your own palm shaded hammock.ATV rental, horseback riding, kayaking, fishing, art gallery walks, hiking Triple Waterfall, Voluntourism, massage, are just some of the things to enjoy here in Baja California. Los Cerritos provides simplicity, tranquility and a break from city life that you have been longing for. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire and Expedia so you can book your Cerritos Surf Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cerritos Surf Colony Hotel El Pescadero
- Cerritos Surf Town Mexico/El Pescadero - Todos Santos