“Great place to get off the grid”
Review of Cerritos Surf Town

Cerritos Surf Town
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa, it was huge! 2 bedrooms 2 baths upstairs and a big kitchen, dining area and living room downstairs. Awesome pool with great lounge beds that are always available, no need to save them at the crack of dawn like places in cabo. Wish they would upgrade their sheets, towels, and silverware. Our sheets were ripped and stained and towels were flimsy and not replaced each day and only had 4 forks, 3 spoons and 2 knives. $100 in upgrades for the unit would made my 4 stars into 5. Overall a great place away from the chaos. Unfortunately the waiters at the pool bar did not have answers to basic questions like "is there a happy hour?" "What type of trees are the posts made of?" It was great to not have cell phones or tv for 4 days!

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We had read the reviews and been to Cerritos beach before this was built, so we knew what to expect. This is not a fancy Cabo resort with night life, which is why we came here.
Everything was well maintained and clean, staff was nice and didn't bother us. Pool was quite and relaxing, great beach (no vendors)
Had a 2 bedroom on the beach side ( a must). We shopped in Cabo for groceries beer and wine, cooked dinner in our kitchen and found all we needed except no towels in kitchen.
Would highly recommend this resort for those who come to Mexico to expierence the Mexican way of life!!!

1  Thank Terry P
Reviewed May 6, 2014

After reading all the reviews prior to last week, my husband and I had low expectations about the place. Our goal was to disconnect from the world and relax, so as long as there was a clean room, we would have been happy.

Our first impression of Cerritos Surf Colony was okay. Other than not honoring the room that we were promised in our email confirmation, registration was uneventful. Once we started walking towards our villa and saw the pool, the beach, our frowns became smiles. We had villa #9, so it was better than expected! The oceanfront villa was clean and no signs of bugs the entire time. There were ants, but it is to be expected and not terrible. We don’t like staying out after sundown, so we ate at the Cerritos restaurant many times. The food was good.

Highlights

• Must see sundown at Hacienda at least once. The pool and hot tubs are nice and there’s a bar.
• The staff was helpful. Speak with Alex; he’ll help you if you want to learn about good places to visit. Also, speak with him about possibility purchasing more weeks; the presentation took less than 15 minutes, and you’ll have 25% discount on drinks, food and activities the entire stay. There’s no need to commit to purchasing weeks, but Alex is a cool guy to talk with and learn about Cerritos.
• The hot tubs are “hot.” The jets didn’t work opposite the bar, but it is “hot.” Great to soak at night.
• The pool is beautiful and clean.
• The greenery is nicely kept.
• The pool beds are clean.
• The staff is friendly.
• Safety was not a concern at all.
• Made service occurred every day. You’ll need to ask for new towels at the office, if you want them fresh often.

Not so good experiences

• The bed was king size, so the pillows were too. However, the pillow cases were not king size, so it looked funny. I didn’t make a fuss, because I had my own personal things to cover it up. They finally changed without me saying on the 4th night.
• You’ll need to run the shower for 3-4 minutes to get the hot water going, not so bad.
• Ran out of water one night, they fixed right away, but someone should be checking on that often.
• The screen door was a bit temperamental, but not a nuisance

Tips

• On your way to Cerritos passing Cabo, go to a supermarket (supermercado) to buy supplies. Have disposable cups, paper plates, paper towels/napkins, and whatever snacks you’d like.
• If you don’t, there are plenty of OXXO stores (similar to 7-eleven) and other small stores nearby.
• Todo Santos is a great place to visit. Make sure you have cash, some places don’t accept credit cards.
• La Paz, Balandra beach and the surrounding beaches are a must see.
• Go to Tecolote Beach and catch a boat there if you’re interested in seeing Isla Espiritu Santo. It’s a fun day trip. Go to the vendor, extreme right of the Tecolote Beach, they are nice and great civeche. The price is $55 per person. Worth it, includes lunch and drinks. Bring pesos.
• Cabo San Lucas is nice, but hate the crowd. Try to book a boat ride to see The Arch and Lover’s Beach at Cabo San Lucas to save money.
• If you’re interested in a massage while in Cabo San Lucas, go to the Wyndham resort by the marina. On the main floor, there’s a place for a $20 one-hour Swedish massage.

The overall experience was pleasant! Weather was beautiful and beaches were stunning! Totally recommend Cerritos Surf Colony! Don’t expect a 5-star resort, but a place to unwind, watch the surfers, or surf yourself, and totally relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: One bedrooms #9, 10, 11 can reach wifi access.
7  Thank LetzgoNY
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I just want to start by saying that Cerritos is located in a phenomenal place in Baja. The beaches are soft and sandy - my kids went without so much as a flip-flop for the entire week. The ocean is excellent with a wide stretch of gently sloped sand leading to a shallow and swimmable shorebreak. Out beyond that shorebreak are waves consistently in the 2-4ft range with occasional sets breaking in the 5+ ft range. Even if you don't surf, watching the locals who do while sipping a cocktail from the beach could be an all day affair.

We had a 2BR villa (#21) which sits at the northern end of the row of beachfront villas. The villa was clean and spacious and provided most of what we needed for the week we were there. While the kitchen utensils weren't what we have at home, we were able to put together a solid, homemade ceviche one night, seared tuna tacos the next night and a seared tuna salad the next. The fridge was big enough to accommodate a week's worth of groceries, so the stop at the Soriana in CSL was worth it. Regarding the kitchen appointments - it reminded me of many of the condos we have rented in Whistler or any other place that's not VRBO. There's enough to get by, but it isn't home. As an FYI, buy paper towels before arriving.

In #21, the beds weren't particularly comfortable - overly hard - but adequate.

The bartenders and servers are nice, if a little casual. We sometimes found ourselves putting orders in twice or reminding them to bring the beer we had asked for. This said, the vibe here is relaxed, and if you find it difficult to do so, look elsewhere.

What we found at Cerritos was a true vacation. The days seemed longer than they do in Seattle (and I mean that in the best possible way). Everyone we dealt with was kind and easy going. We would definitely go back.

As Information:
-Baja California is a DESERT. Water is scarce and has to be trucked in to Cerritos, and because of that, keep a few things in mind.
-Towels are only exchanged at your request to keep excess laundering to a minimum.
-We had an occasional period where water was unavailable, but never for more than 10-20 minutes.
-Hot water is via demand water heater, which makes it tempting to take overly long showers...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank alolio
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Cerritos is a breath of fresh air from the craziness of Cabo. The beaches are long and beautiful and the fresh breeze off the pacific is wonderful. We came to the Cerritos Surf colony for 4 nights, we made out reservation for the Mayan Village Resort, we were excited to stay on the grass huts they are right on the beach. The Village is right next door to the Surf Colony and owned by the same owners. I have to say that I was a little bit disappointed with the amenities, or lack there of at the Mayan Village. We had to put our trash outside the entire time because there are critters that get into it in the room, there is only cold water in the showers, and I must say that they do advertise 24 hour security, but I never saw them even and at night I would make my husband walk to the bathroom with me because I did not feel safe. The rooms could also be more secure someone could easily get into a window. Overall we loved it, but next time we would reserve the rooms in the Surf colony because those have hot water, bathrooms in the rooms and full kitchen. You must make the walk up to the Hacienda for a sunset and have their Pina Coladas they are the best in the world!

2  Thank Theparsons18
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I rented a one bedroom villa with my boyfriend. The room was clean and cute. The property was developed in 2009 so everything feels new and nice. I chose the location based on a KBG deal voucher, so the room was at a discounted rate. All-in-all, I absolutely loved the property. The beaches and grounds are gorgeous. It was super low key, relaxing, and quiet and a good place for couples or families. There are lots of fun places to take walks, surfing lessons are available, and Todos Santos, which has the Hotel California, markets, great shops and galleries, is about 15 mins away. A heads-up re: a few items: 1) Do not leave food crumbs on the floor or you might encounter an ant army, 2) If mosquitos are bad, management will install a canopy/net over your bed (total lifesaver!), 3) Kitchen dishes and linens are sparse. There is a Costco and Walmart in Cabo San Lucas and in addition to buying food, I would recommend buying some paper plates, cups, utensils and paper towels. My trip was in the beginning of April and it got kind of chilly at night, so I would also recommend warm jammies. I enjoyed my stay so much that I ended up buying a package at a discounted price directly from the resort for another two weeks that can be used anytime in the next two years, with the idea that I would like to take another couple with us on the next trip(s). Lastly, I'd like to let potential visitors know that there are two young, sweet, friendly tabbies that live on the property. They are on their own (don't belong to anyone or get care from the staff), so if you see them, PLEASE give them some pets and snacks. I actually had the male sterilized at the vet in Todos Santos but unfortunately the female was not around at the time I needed to leave for the vet appt. So, if you are a big animal lover like me, help keep the population down by taking her to the vet for sterilization. It only cost 400 pesos ($31 American dollars) and a few hours of my time.

7  Thank Jen K
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We purchased a 2 bedroom villa 5 day voucher for a great price off of thcclymb.com and deicided that we were ready to book our trip. Keep in mind they have no listed email or phone number to contact them and only a request a resrevation online form. The turnaround time listed for response is up to 48 hours which is reidiculos given the modern forms of communication availible now. The acctual turn around time for response is actually 3-5 days even after a email conversation has been started. The first email I receiced from our request on the online form stated and I quote, "Thank you for your inquiry, in order to proceed and process please attach a copy of your voucher," so I did and got a response 3 days later of "thanks." as they had our dates and all the voucher info already we booked our filghts as the price was going to go up the next day. 2 days after that I got a email back that they had no 2 bedroom villas available. So, I responded that was fine could we work out something on 2 studios, 2 one bedrooms or even a 4 bedroom. 4 days later I get a response, "No one bed rooms available" and didn't even mention studios or 4 bedrooms and no further response. We booked another place and it was great. Don't even try to work with these idiots.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Todos Santos
Hacienda Todos Los Santos
Hacienda Todos Los Santos
#6 of 8 in Todos Santos

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!