“Great time!”

and 1 more site!
Cerritos Surf Town
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We enjoyed our visit immensely! Don't come expecting this to be a pampered stay! Rented a car from Los Cabos Budget rental, this was biggest rip off on trip! They did not honor online pricing at all. Cost two hundred more! Creditors Surf had a classifying for us on our arrival. Clean and had a fridge and small cook top! Microwave and toaster were provided with small assortment of pans and dishes. Faced the ocean and had views of greatest sunsets and whale watching. Drinks are expensive at bar, food was good but moderately priced. Went shopping in Todos Santos about 6 or so miles away. Everyone takes dollars so no problem. Cooked in villa testosterone for fifth bucks. Pool was nice, hot tubs were too! Guests need to realize that children do not belong in hot tubs naked or in diapers! Yuck! Staff is helpful and maids asked daily if we needed service! Roof is thatched so if you are afraid of a mosquito or a fly or two this is not for you. Hot water takes a while but heated up no problem. No tv so had a great time with hubby enjoying his company and grabbing with neighbors. Went to Todos Santos for a day shopping and sightseeing! Ate at Tequila Sunrise and had best food ever! Lots to do but you need to look for it! If you like quiet times with someone and beautiful sunsets this is for you!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jamie B
There are newer reviews for Cerritos Surf Town

Reviewed February 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed in a studio unit that opened out onto a lawn with the beach and ocean just beyond. It was lovely. The only major problem we had was no hot water in our shower for the first 4 days. They fixed it within 24 hours once they were notified. Staff seemed very helpful.
We were staying with a large group for a wedding. Pretty much every room was given two bath towels which were not changed the entire week. I asked for some hand towels and we were given one hand towel and wash cloth. My daughter and her family ( 4) were also only given 2 bath towels. Ovens didn't work in the kitchen of the family suite because the pilot light was out. We used a lighter to get it to work.
The food was expensive and so were the drinks at $10 for a marguerita. The kitchen is a good idea but stop in Cabo to pick up groceries on your way to Cerritos.
We didn't pay extra for wifi as other reviews mentioned but it was only available at the bar area.
Pool was cool, hot tubs were hot but fairly merky.
The Hacienda is gorgeous and a great place to watch the sunset and the $10 charge for drinks is easier to take given the setting.
Overall I enjoyed the quiet and peace and the beautiful ocean view.

Room Tip: Book a room with a kitchen.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank mogonzales
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I wanted to wait a bit before writing a review of our stay here to make sure I gave an honest account of our stay, so here goes.
My sister-in-law purchased a deal on The Clymb for the Mayan resort next door, owned by the same owner as Cerritos Surf Colony and the adjacent Hacienda on the cliff. The Mayan resort was not yet completed so they graciously upgraded us to a villa in the surf colony. The room was spacious with a lovely bathroom and they gave us the option of renting an extra twin bed for $40, which we opted for. There was no safe in the room and when we were shown to our room we were told the resort was safe enough that we didn't have to worry about locking our sliding door (the only way in and out of the villa). While there we enjoyed 1 meal at the pool (our first day) but decided to eat in town the rest of our trip because the prices were so high on the resort. We wandered to the Hacienda (surf colony guests were allowed access to the pool/bar there and the views from the hacienda were impeccable so we spent most of our time there) and enjoyed the large pool and friendly bartender there.
Wifi was $30/A DAY and had to be prepaid for the duration of your stay -- the caveat was that it couldn't be reached from our villa so the only way we could access the internet was by sitting next to the pool. which sounds great on paper but is actually quite an inconvenience.
Our stay started off great, to be honest. We met the owner of the properties, who was a former MMA guy who offered timeshare opportunities if that was something we were interested in. He was not pushy whatsoever but was willing to cut us a deal if we acted quickly. We enjoyed exploring the grounds and ventured into town for our meals and found the secret locals beach, Las Palmas, where we had the entire beach to ourselves, save the local wild beach horses, of course. We enjoyed daily surf lessons from the surf shack on the beach and the swell in Cerritos is great for surfers of all levels.
We were supposed to stay 5-nights but only stayed for 3, due to the following incident:
Our 3rd night at the surf colony started out like the rest of our nights. We ate dinner in town and came back for margaritas at the hacienda. we returned to our villa and decided to enjoy a nighttime dip in the pool at our colony. there was no one in the pool and we felt safe, especially as we saw someone walking around the resort with a flashlight, scanning the area. we noticed lots of security during the day so we didn't give this much thought. the man shining the flashlight came towards us swimming in the pool and asked if we were okay or needed help with anything. He was a young causasian man in a polo shirt and swim trunks. To be fair, he was very handsome and soft-spoken so my sister-in-law and I never felt threatened or like we had any reason not to trust him. He told us he worked for the resort in the evenings and that his name was Chris. He chatted with us for a while and then proceeded to take his shirt off and got into the pool with us. This is where our red flags should've gone up but we were on vacation and didn't feel threatened, so we allowed it. We can accept fault for that.
Chris told us his life story, about how he lived in NYC, had a son and moved to Baja a few years ago. We felt very comfortable with him. We invited him for a beer on our villa porch and he gladly accepted. I was feeling a bit ill and went to the bathroom while my SIL had a beer with Chris on our front porch. I went to bed early and Chris left shortly after I went to bed. The next morning we woke up and needed to buy items from the local store. We went to where my SIL kept her wallet and our rental car keys AND THEY WERE GONE. We checked everywhere (including around our rental car) and both items were nowhere to be found. We went to the office to ask if we could get Chris' contact information, in case he accidentally picked them up as he was leaving our villa, and discovered that NO ONE BY THAT NAME WORKED FOR THE COLONY. This is where the panic started to set in. We informed the staff that he was walking around telling guests he worked there. The police were called and for whatever reason the owner recalled the man (after we gave him his description) and somehow knew where he lived so the police and my SIL went to his house while I waited outside of our villa.
The crazy thing is this Chris guy CAME BACK to the villa to check on us. This is when I told him that we knew he was lying and that the owner wanted to speak with him. He followed me to where the owner was eating by the pool and the 2 men got into a heated argument about 'Chris' lying to his guests and giving people a fake name (Chris was not his name, apparently). They got into a physical altercation and after calming down, talked a bit more and banned him from the property.
My SIL and I were moved to a different villa to make us feel safer but the damage had already been done. We were scared for our safety and booked tickets home the following day.
Yes, it was our choice to strike up a convo with the man but he told us he worked for the resort and was friendly and non-threatening. Our stay was pricey, but comfortable, which is why I gave them a total of 3 stars. The staff were apologetic about the entire incident, stating that they didn't have much security staff that night, which was why no one from their staff was patrolling the grounds and 'Chris' was able to get away with posing as a staff member. Also, despite paying for a full stay's wifi access and only staying 3 days, that money wasn't refunded and we weren't given any sort of hotel credit/consolation the last day we stayed there. They also asked that we write a good review for them, since most of their reviews were negative.
I have traveled to countless countries where a majority of the population lives below the poverty level and always have my wits about me. I know that Baja is a place to travel with care but the fact that our incident happened with an american expat is infuriating and gives the kind locals of Baja a bad rep. I would avoid staying here if you are traveling in a female-only group. We spoke to a couple staying there and they had a similar run-in (the same evening) with Chris but when Chris caught sight of her husband, he bolted. We believe this Chris guy was preying on women. Be careful. There are other places worth booking with.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
13  Thank Carmel U
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This place is infested with weevils, we got into our room and it was literally covered with bugs and sawdust from the roof. We were told that they fall from the roof of every room but there were particularly numerous. They fumigated the room and we came back each day for three days and it was still full of disgusting bugs ALL over. They refused to refund me in full even though I did not stay at all in the villa and they told me at 10:30 pm that I should leave and go find my own room they were done helping me. I am contacting the health department and preparing a lawsuit. Do NOT stay here. The groupon deal seems like a good idea it's a huge ripoff you will get very sick.

• Stayed: December 2013
9  Thank Cerritossucks
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I are very familiar with Pescadero and Cerritos Beach. While other friends have stayed at this well-situated hotel in the past, this was our first time actually staying there. The grounds are beautiful and the location is tops, but for the amount of $ to stay there without using a Groupon discount, or the like, we were left luke-warm.
Speaking of luke-warm, the pool and jacuzzis heater was broken and we were assured over the course of 3 days that someone was on their way to fix it, OR, they just put the heating on and it would warm up in 10 minutes. Never happened. Our friends stayed in an ocean front casita and their kitchen top stove only had 1 of 4 working burners; kind of a bummer when spending $200 a night and cooking a couple meals a day.
Don't expect any "deals" on food or drink at the Colony. Prices are stateside expensive. And from what I was told by a staff member, all coupons will be discontinued in the near future, and instead, you'll be able to purchase a muli-night package though the Colony that would make a one night stay average out to about $80.
I don't know. I really wanted to like this place, but it kind of lacks the local warmth in favor of foreign green.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shelby1973
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Second visit to stay a week at the Surf Colony after several day trips to Cerritos. We love walking the beach in the morning and the fun all day long up the beach. Having a casita with small kitchen works good for snacks and drinks. Go to Pescadero and buy fresh fruits and veggies. While we are there we get frustrated with the resort, the restaurant and the maintenance keeps going downhill and that is sad they don't keep it up...but the opportunity to be right on that beautiful beach seems to always win out! Hope to find some more "deals" to go back - it would make these concerns less important!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stonecutter53
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The Cerritos Surf Colony/beach resort is the most gorgeous location for a resort I've ever been and it is beautiful, no doubt. We actually had a great trip in spite of the problems. We didn't have a car and as others have said, it is worth braving the Mexican car rental agencies to get one. We paid $100 USD from the airport going in (negotiated down from $160) and $120 going back and $40 each way into Todos Santos. The driver couldn't find the resort coming in so it was a little disconcerting to think we might be dropped off in the middle of nowhere in the dark. But we made it.

We were in a studio villa and the first night I woke up in the middle of the night with a bite or sting on my lip. We were told mosquito season was over so I'd hate to see what it looks like then. My husband and I were both bitten each night (he has over 100 bites on his body). Some came from being outside at dusk but a lot were from inside our room while we were sleeping. A 1 or 2 bedroom might have been much better but not necessarily. The roofs are Palapa with woven twig eaves. An attempt was made to cover them with something that looked like landscape cloth but the bugs still got in. Bring bug spray and treatment for bites but really it is not that much different from camping so if you are hyper-sensitive I'd definitely be prepared.I actually wished I had a mosquito net for sleeping. There were also signs of mildew especially in the bathroom.

I think it is safe to say that there are defects in all the rooms (were were in 2 different studios) with not much consistency between them. Landscape cloth was missing in our second villa but at least the screen were intact. Considering this resort is only 3 years old it is a little concerning. The first room we were in had problems with the water heater so the showers were dismal. The second had a great hot water heater.

As others have mentioned there are definitely hotel management issues going on at the moment: every day they were out of something: cheese, beer, water, alcohol and I heard the same story about cheques not being signed.

For an Couvon/Groupon deal the price was good but I would have been very disappointed if I'd paid full price. It definitely isn't worth what they are asking at this point. The food was adequate but a bit on the expensive side.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Todos Santos
Todos Santos Inn
Todos Santos Inn
#3 of 8 in Todos Santos

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!