“Good deal....good week”

Cerritos Surf Town
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
“Good deal....good week”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I bought a week here with Deal Chicken. $300 for 6 nights. I would return to this resort for this price, but probably not much more. Very remote, but region is growing into a tourist destination...beautiful miles and miles of walkable safe clean smooth beaches. Great surfing. The hotel itself was just fine. Casitas large, clean, and private. The little touches that make a hotel stay great were missing. Towels for pool never seemed available...and when they were, they had holes and stains on them. We had same room towels for three days until I made a big pile on patio of wet towels. The generators supposedly made too much noise at night, so they told us they shut down generator from midnight to 6;00a.m. I don't think they ever did, but we did run out of water at one point...apparently a bill had not been paid? or the pump was overheated and broken? unclear, but one day we had water for only a few hours, and then we had none from about 8:00p.m until 9:00a.m. In order to do my three hour morning beach walk, i had to walk down beach to neighbor hotel and get water and go to bathroom! Bartenders and waiters are wonderful. They are friendly and always willing to accommodate. However, another little thing, the bar ran out of beer! Who runs out of beer in Mexico? The food at restaurant was pricey but delicious and big portions...but many of the menu items were not available because they didn't have ingredients. There really is no fitness center. The website photos are make believe! You can use the fitness center at the hotel up the beach, but it is all rusty and dangerous. The gym at the resort has two boxing bags and rubber walls and floors. Yoga and boot camp for $20 is available daily. New management was there and getting feedback from guests. All being reworked and fixed services. I don't discourage anyone from staying, it was a beautiful setting, and the local towns were close and had great food. The area is really safe and quiet. I would not pay full price until they fix the service glitches....but i would return with another Deal Chicken deal!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katie M
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and point of view.

Regarding the gym, our website clearly states 'Coming 2014' in large text right next to the photo. I can assure you that there are no photos posted to deceive anyone. We apologize for any misunderstanding or confusion that you experienced.

As management, we are concentrating on communication improvements between our resort staff
and office management in the US. Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. Please feel free to contact us, we would be more then happy to resolve any issues. Ideally, Cerritos Beach Resorts wants to provide the absolute top customer service and assure that every guest enjoys there stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went for 6 nights in May 2013. Our Cabana was CLEAN and COMFORTABLE, plenty of room. We were oceanfront Room 11. Loved it, really had a great time. Made a lot of new friends. Beaches are clean and uncrowded. Surf was great for beginners but on a good swell it goes off. Food was good, American priced. Best Nachos & Habenero Sauce Ever. Eat at some of the smaller restaurants in town too. Thank you Julian for the bonfires and Best Waiter ever Diego! Tips go along way! We'll be back! Lisa & Gary

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lplusr
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I will start off by saying this is a very nice hotel, with an excellent location right on the beach. It's very clean, has an amazing, jaw-droppingly gorgeous pool, and the bungalows are rustic but very classy. Like most people who stay here, I got a great deal on the price. However, if I HAD paid full price (which is 300+ a night), there would be a few things I would be very upset about. Even not having paid full price, they kind of rubbed me the wrong way:

- They advertise a "world class gym and spa". Ummm, no. Maybe a "third world" class gym and spa. There is a small bungalow with a few kickboxing/punching bags in it (this is the gym). To me, that is not a world class fitness center. And the spa - well, there ISN'T one. They do offer spa services, but it is a lady who comes to your room. The massage I got was great (and it was nice that they can do it in-room, or on the beach, and you can hear the waves crashing in the background...ahhhh), but the pedicure left something to be desired. It wasn't horrible, but it's a pedicure in your room, i.e. you sit on the plastic lawn furniture that's on your patio, with your feet in a bucket of water, while a lady scrubs you down and polishes you with nailpolishes and creams that she bought at the local Wal-Mart. Now I'm not saying she did a bad job or anything, but I just think as a hotel, if you advertise a "world class spa", you should at least have top-notch stuff, let alone an ACTUAL Spa!

- This area is kind of out in the boonies, which is awesome for relaxing, and a majority of the houses and hotels run off of tanked water. Cool, I get it. There's not infrastructure for public water, and the water goes out for 10 minutes here or there, no problem. But one time (which conveniently was during my pedicure, when we needed water) the water was out for over TWO HOURS. This is completely unacceptable. You would think as a hotel you would keep an eye on how much water you need for your guests and order more so you wouldn't run out. (I also wonder, what took so long for the water, because even if they had to truck it in from somewhere, Cabo is only 40 minutes away and El Pescadero/Todos Santos 10 minutes). It was even more annoying because the front desk kept telling us (over the course of the two hours) "Oh, it'll be back on in ten minutes".

- There is no housekeeping, unless you ask.

- In the shower, the "hot" and "cold" side of the tap is reversed. We didn't realize this until the second day; a few of our neighbors didn't realize it their whole trip! (For some reason, this seems to be a problem in many of the hotels we've stayed at in Central America).

- The pool maintenance is an issue. On our first day there, there was mystery white goopy stuff floating in the pool (like someone had been doing something in there they shouldn't have been), and the staff told us it was chemicals, that the pool would be good to go in an hour (as not to burn our skin). We were a little skeptical, but over the week we were there, we did see them pouring in buckets of white, goopy stuff in there. Good maintenance I guess, but they poured them in every day around noon! WTF? The pool WAS gorgeous and pleasant to swim in, but it was basically unavailable for numerous hours, usually in the middle of the day. My advice to the hotel would be to maybe put the chemicals in at night/early morning, when people are sleeping??

- The resort runs on a generator. At night the resort is very quiet and the generator noisy, so they turn it off at 11pm. This didn't bother us THAT much, but it's pretty much like you are forced to go to bed at 11 because there are NO LIGHTS after that. Again, not that huge of a deal, but we wish we would have known that before we decided to stay there.

- The front desk staff are not very nice or helpful. When we arrived, the girl who checked us in (who was filling in for the manager on her day off) was alright, but she didn't know a whole lot about the resort and couldn't answer any of our questions. The manager and her two employees satisfied our basic requests, but we felt like we were bothering them any time we asked for something. I once (along with another couple) basically stood on the patio for over 5 minutes, with the employees right there, reading magazines and talking, before either of them asked if we needed anything. In defense of these people, we did see them get yelled at by more than a few of the guests over the dumbest stuff, so they probably get abused a lot and just hate dealing with people, but still. It would have just added so much for them to simply be like "Hi, nice to meet you. Thank you for staying with us, welcome" or SOMETHING to that effect, instead of just lackluster, unfriendly service. (** side note - the other staff at the bar and some dude named Julian were always very accomodating).

Ok, with all that stuff outta the way, the hotel DOES have a ton of plusses:

- Beautiful buildings and gardens, right on a gorgeous lonely stretch of beach (with a few beach bars/restaurants down one end, so not totally deserted), beautiful pool and great sunsets.

- On site surf rental shop, with a nice guy named Matt running it. Be aware though that the shop does close one day a week, so you cannot use your included surf rental that day (if you bought a package deal like we did).

- Nightly bonfires on the beach, set up by the hotel.

- Close to Todos Santos. (We are the type of people who can only relax by the pool for so long, so we went there almost every day to get coffee, go to the galleries, and out for dinner, etc).

- Resort food was actually really good. It's not "expensive" by American standards, but we heard a lot of the other guests complaining like "We're in Mexico, I don't want to pay American prices!". Drinks are about $8.00, and the average meal $10-$18. The portions were very large though, and the food was actually really good, so we didn't mind paying those prices and eating there a few times. However, you can also drive to Todos Santos (about 10 minutes away) and there are lots of restaurants which are slightly cheaper, or you can bring snacks back to the hotel because each room is equipped with a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker (and I think some of the larger suites may even have stoves/ovens).

- The rooms had nice comforters, and were stocked with extra Mexican blankets for those chilly nights. Nice touch. (The sheets and mattresses could use an upgrade though, and they could provide more towels in the rooms also). You can hear the waves crashing all night which was just sooooo incredibly AWESOME.

Something else to be aware of: the water is COLD! We were kinda bummed because we had heard the weather in this area was "cool in the evenings", but it is very windy on the beach and the water is FREEZING. Most people who were surfing were wearing wetsuits, to give you an idea. Not a total downer, but just be prepared!

All in all, I would stay here again, but ONLY if I got the same deal as I got before. If I was paying full price (like over $300/nt), there are definitely things that I expect, like hot water and electricity 24/7, friendly service, etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Tahoeyoyo
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a long and detailed review. We are in the process of incorporating a new team of staff that understands our customer service needs. Cerritos Beach Resorts Management team wants each and every person to feel well taken care of and comfortable. We are happy that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and hope you will visit us again to see the improvements in service. We greatly appreciate you choosing our resort for your vacation.
West Sacramento, California, USA
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort from 4/14/13 to 4/26/13. We stayed in a 1 bedroom cabana. I'll start with what's right about this property.

* Location. It is right on the beach.
* Water. Pretty calm allowing you to easily enter the water and even try your hand at surfing. You can walk out pretty far before you even get past your waist. There were no big waves if you are really into surfing.
* Atmosphere. There is great ambiance and charm about this place.
* Cabana. Ours was really charming with painted brick walls, tile floors and palm fronds roof. We had a separate living room with sofa, loveseat and chair. Our kitchen had a stove, microwave and full refrigerator. The bedroom had an Armoire for hanging clothes, with 3 large drawers. There was a dresser with 6 large drawers. They bring you two bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths and for the kitchen you get two towels and two wash cloths.
* The patio was 10; by 16' with a round table and 3 chairs. Also on the patio were two plastic chaise loungers.
* Staff. We found the staff to be very helpful and fun.
* Pool area. The pool and twin hot tubs were lovely. The pool has a swim up bar, or you can go around to the other side and sit at the counter. It is surrounded by a half dozen tables, or more.
* The grounds are lovely and maintained every day.

WHAT NEEDS IMPROVING:
* Pool. While it was lovely and we did enjoy swimming in it, it was about 6" too low. The water didn't reach the top steps or the skimmers. Don't know why. Also, they need to tend to it better as the water was cloudy every day we were there.
* Hot tubs. Both hot tubs have a blower and heater switch next to the palm tree. You turn the dial to start either one. One of the hot tub's blower wasn't working. The switches are opposite of each other. By that I mean on one the heater dial was on the left and the blower dial on the right. For the other hot tub it was reversed. There were no labels so you had to guess. The staff didn't know either when we asked them. It does take some time to heat these up. There was a lot of sand in both of them and it was never vacuumed out.
* Water. As I understand it (as I was told) the water pressure runs by a generator and of our 12 nights there we had no water for at least 5 day (before I stopped counting). It is off for only a short time. Maybe 15-60 minutes. This is okay except when you are in the middle of showering and it stops while you're soapy. They have to truck in fresh water every day and fill their containers.
* Electricity. The same as the water. Generator run and it went out at least 3 times. Again, we just went with the flow.

HERE IS A RUDOWN OF OUR UNIT #9:
* No mattress pad on the bed. We found the bed to be comfortable.
* 3 of our light bulbs were burnt out upon arrival. Fixed quickly and happily.
* There are 4 lights in the living room and a window but it is still dark in there at night. We kept taking one of the light shades off to cook. There are no lights in the kitchen area. An under cabinet light above the stove would be great.
* There is a ceiling fan in the living room and one in the bedroom. Both operate from a wall switch with remotes that operate the fan speed and light. We only had a remote for the living room fan but it didn't work anyway. They changed the battery but still couldn't get the remote to work. Then at some point the fan quit working all together. The bedroom fan only operated on high but we would have liked to turn the speed lower at night so we didn't use it.
* There wasn't a handle on the inside of our sliding glass door.
* The sliding glass door screen was difficult to open.
* There is no cleaning equipment in the cabana. A shelf fell off the door of the fridge and broke 3 beer bottles and we only had paper towels to clean it up with.
* We were missing one picture. The nail was still in the wall.
* The metal hardware was somewhat rusted.
* The cabinet hinges didn't work very well.
* There isn't an ironing board or iron in the unit.
* Out stove wasn't plugged, which I found out later, so we had to use a light to light our burners. After the discover I plugged it in and found out why it was unplugged. One of the burners keeps clicking like I'm trying to start the burner.
* The units aren't inventoried before each use. We were missing forks, cutting board, a wine glass, and large mixing bowl for our salad. You pretty much get two of everything so you are washing dishes between every meal. Also included in our unit; dish soap (not very sudsy), sponge, toaster, 4 cup coffee maker, 2 coffee cups, ice cube trays, 2 skillets, 3 pots with lids, cooking utensils, food peeler, whisk, large slotted spoon, large solid spoon, tongs, grater, colander, toilet paper, and 1 small shampoo and conditioner. We went back to Cabo and purchased a bottle of hand soap, dish soap, a couple of plates and forks and big bowl.
* The bathroom constantly smelled of sewer. Others didn't seem to have this problem as pronounced as we did, though one night everyone had this problem quite badly. They couldn't do anything about it so I'm thinking it is due to lack of proper venting in the sewer lines at each unit.

THINGS TO DO:
* Visit Todos Santos
* Visit Cabo
* Visit La Paz
* Surfing
* Swimming (pool or ocean)
* Long walks on the beach (we did every day)
* Relaxing on the outdoor beds or chaises
* Visit the Hacienda up on the hill. Just a short walk up the beach.
* Enjoy the fantastic sunsets. Be sure to take one in up at the Hacienda.
* Make new friends
* Enjoy a drink at the bar
* Get some local newspapers and visit the local restaurants listed in the papers. It doesn't hurt to ask the locals what they would recommend.

SUMMARY:
I would have been disappointed if I paid their market rate for a room but we purchased a deal on Moolala. If you can ignore all the little things I think you'll have a great time. We did and we did.

** On a side note - Car rentals in Mexico are way, way, way, way too expensive. Everyone we met complained about the prices and rental tactics. You'll pay at least 3 times what you would pay in the US because of the insurance. Shame on you Mexico Tourism Office.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robert W
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just got back from our week long trip at the Cerritos Surf Colony. We had purchased a week's stay off of KGB Deals for a one bedroom villa. We were pleasantly surprised and had a blast.
I had read a lot of reviews and felt I had a pretty good idea of what the stay was going to be like. It ended up being better than expected.
You absolutely need a rental car. I took the advice of others on Tripadvisor and used Economy Cactus rental for our car. Everything went great getting our car and returning it. Our rate was cheaper than everyone we talked to.
Once we left Cabo, the highway to the locations is new and great. Four lanes and in great shape.
The Villas are nice and clean. They are not five star rooms but definitely decent and comfortable, for the most part.
We ended up in Villa 24 which is in the second row, at the South end of the complex. It is the last villa. We learned that only a couple of one bedroom villas are on the first row. The advantage of being in the second row is that the wind, which blew every day, is broken by the front villas and the back villas have a privacy wall that helps cut the wind. The front villas do not have the wall so you get the full force of the wind.
Villa 24 has a great view of the ocean because there is nothing South of it so the entire ocean opens up to that villa.
The problem with that end is that the generator, which we hardly noticed is at that end. It is also where the employees park and the first two mornings, we were awakened to the sound of their radios blasting as loud as they could blast it. Once I complained, it didn't happen again. Then, the propane guy arrived at 7AM, the next morning with his stereo blasting and he took the brunt of my anger. The next morning, the generator from the water pump truck at 7:30 AM. This was the worst part of the stay but it definitely irritated us.
As far as the condition of the room. When I went to take a shower, the water never got hot and the shower head sprayed everywhere except straight. I told the front office and it was all fixed in 30 minutes. We had no other problems.
This place is completely self sufficient for power, water and propane. You are away from every thing and all of the touristy stuff. If you want to relax, get sun and read some books, this is it.
The pool area is nice and plenty of out door beds to lie by the pool. The pool bar had good food but expect to pay normal US prices. Their fries are home made and good.
We found so many beaches close by where we were the only people in sight for miles.
Approximately a half mile away, up on the hill, is the Hacienda hotel, which is owned by the same guy. If you stay at the Surf Colony, you can use the pool and gym at the Hacienda. GO TO THE Hacienda for a sunset or two. The view is outstanding and it is better in the Jacuzzi up there.
There is no ac in the villas so I don't think I would go there during the hot periods of July and August.
We had a great trip and I truly enjoyed the down time, which I don't normally do well. We plan on going there again.

Room Tip: The best and cheapest food we found was on a suggestion by Heather, the manager. One mile South of t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hillrun1
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We love Cerritos Surf Colony. We bought an awesome deal...6 nights in a 2 bdr for $389.00. We have vacationed twice so far (12 nights each time). For the price, its great!! Central to Cabo and La Paz. Its all true about running out of water once or twice a day...but its never for long!! Same with electricity...you deal with it for a short period of time!! We will go back, again and again, as long as the deals keep happening. I would never pay full price though!!
Miguel's, Napoli pizza,and Carlitos are awesome restaurants within 10 min's of the Surf Colony!!
One thing the owner should consider is: lower your prices for food and drinks...and maybe so many people wouldn't go elsewhere for decent prices, and maybe your staff would make some extra money in tips!!! ALWAYS tip in cash...so that you know your servers will get the $$$.
Can hardly wait to go back!!! Staff is super friendly and helpful!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank cherrybomb443
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our resort. We do appreciate hearing back from our guests. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the privacy that the off the grid location of our property provides.Thank you for posting some of the local restaurants that are within such a short proximity to The Surf Colony. We do hope you decide to return soon.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our family booked two room #24 and 25 which were on the back row and the south end. Eventhough it was on the back row we could sit on the porch and see the ocean. We booked these rooms on a Groupon type deal so the price was good.

Pros
Secluded and the beach is almost all yours
Price was good for what you got but not much more.
Nice pool
Rooms have a fridge, sink and stove.
Abt 10 degrees cooler than Cabo.

Cons
The units have a natural palm leaf roof that constantly drops a fine powder on to everything as well as a small beetle like bug. Nothing you can do about it.
Food and bar are okay but very expensive. We found going to Toda Santos or Pescadeo better.
Due to the palm leaf roofs you hear everything, including what goes on next door.
Maintenance is lacking, missing drawer hardware, towel racks, etc
Power shuts off from 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM so bring a flashlight for the midnight potty breaks.

All in all, okay for the price but not much more.
Make sure you go to Baja Beans in Pescadero (southwest end of town) for great coffe and pastries.

Room Tip: Ocean fronts the best but #25 rear had a good ocean view too. Could not hear generators on this end.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Russell1078
On behalf of Cerritos Beach Resorts Management, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review and experience on your stay with us. Your concerns are being addressed, as we are restructuring staff on location. We plan on both customer service and maintenance teams to take leaps forward, providing the best service possible. We are also taking time to highlight the unique features of our resort website (like having miles of private beach with no crowds) so travelers are well informed and better prepared for their stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near El Pescadero
#6 of 8 in Todos Santos
Cerritos Beach Inn
Cerritos Beach Inn
#1 of 8 in El Pescadero

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!