“Beautiful Place! Great Pool! Nice Beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cerritos Surf Town

and 1 more site!
Cerritos Surf Town
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Townsend, TN
“Beautiful Place! Great Pool! Nice Beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My family of 3 (2 adults and a 6 year old) spent Spring Break 2013 at this resort. We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa. Our villa was beachfront and next to the pool. We thoroughly enjoyed the resort! We had a 6 night voucher from halfoffdepot.com. I emailed a few days before arrival to confirm (based on some of the previous comments here) and check-in was fine. We arrived around 2pm but our room wasn't quite ready - they needed 1 hour more to finish cleaning. They allowed us to put food in the fridge and drop our bags in the room - next they bought us a round of drinks while we waited by the pool - waiting is much easier with a cold margarita! It is a bit of a drive from Cabo but we knew this and actually prefer this type of location.

The resort is very cute and beach is very beautiful. We loved the look of the palapa roofs and large lagoon pool. Our villa (#9) was great. I wasn't sure if it would have enough plates, silverware, etc. so we bought paper plates, plastic silverware, a knife, spatula and a corkscrew. It had nice pots and pans, plenty of glassware, coffee cups, and everything else we needed except only 2 plates and no forks. We were able to cook breakfast and lunch each day without any problems. We went out for dinner in La Paz, Todos Santos, and Pescadero. Napoli Pizza in Pescadero is fantastic (ate there 2 times in 6 days). Dinner at La Casita in Todos Santos was expensive and OK but not great (avoid the patio if you don't want to hear cars and tires squealing). If you want a great tamale, try the lady on the main street in Todos. We took a day trip to the beach above La Paz called Tecolate which was fantastic. It is on the Sea of Cortez so the water was warmer and much smaller waves. The resort never felt crowded. Yet, there were always a few kids around for our 6 year old to play with each day. We made some good friends who we hope to see again. The Hacienda really adds to the landscape.

My voucher was supposed to have a spa treatment package included, but I never scheduled anything. I didn't even try - so I can't say much about the spa treatments. However, I feel that for the price I paid, the lodging alone was worth it. We didn't have any trouble with power outages, water shortages, or anything else mentioned in the negative reviews. My husband thought that there wasn't any hot water but only because he was impatient and jumped in and out before it got really warm. I can see how noisy neighbors and possibly the generators could be a problem - but we were not next to the generators and only heard our neighbors 1 night. The sound of the ocean is loud but certainly not unpleasant!

Overall, we had a great vacation in beautiful setting! Thanks!

Room Tip: Beachfront is the best - of course. Check their website for a map showing the location of the villas...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mondaysme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

2.5 tripadvisor dots. First, read all of the reviews, good and bad! You will notice a lot of patterns in the good reviews: very surface-oriented and lack detail. You will also notice a lot of patters in the bad reviews: repeats of the same complaints, over...and over...and over.

So, like everyone else, we had a deal from a local newspaper that operates like Groupon or Living Social. The current deal is $399 for a 4 night stay in 2 bedroom villa (which is what we had) or a 6 night stay in a 1 bedroom (didn't see the inside). If we had paid 400 (we paid 289 for the same deal), I would have had a different opinion (worse). I'm not sure that this place gets many normal reservations, but for $289 a night (starting!--I'm assuming the 2 bedrooms are well into the 400s), I highly doubt it. Like other reviewers, I think they rely solely on creating a huge demand on Groupon/Living Social/Local deal sites to fill their rooms and get the cash up front. If you paid 300 a night for one of the small villas, I don't really know what to say.

Caveat: We have traveled across the globe in varying accommodations, from camping on the beach, to 5 dollar, cockroach infested hostels in bangkok, to 5 star resorts in major metropolitan US cities. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, but be rest assured, that we are the type of couple that rarely sends food back, always tips 20%, and smiles at waiters when our food takes too long to arrive.

With that said...

We found the location just fine, it's pretty obvious if you pay attention to KM markers. The dirt path can be a little confusing, but it's really not that complicated. We arrived at a normal check-in time and when we went into the office, the woman sort of looked at us strangely and we asked to check in. It was a bit uncomfortable to not be greeted and asked how we could be helped. She took us to our villa, it looked good, signed our papers, vacation begin! One thing I would like to mention here is that our deal voucher clearly stated "all taxes and fees included" yet we had to pay a 70$ "Mexican" tax. From the frequency of issues with this tax thing on the reviews, I think it's safe to assume this issue is not clear for very clear reasons. They can get away with telling groupon that taxes are included, and make their deal look sweeter, then tell the guest that they need to pay this "required" tax that isn't included in "all taxes and fees". Kind of sketchy. I'm inquiring with my deal site to get that money back at Cerrito's expense. Advertising all taxes and fees included and then charging 70 dollars of surprise tax is insane. Especially considering that random tax we assumed was taken care of now accounted for 20% of the total cost of our stay.

The grounds are nicely landscaped with the obvious desert theme. The balconies are nice, and the pool/bar area are probably the most "luxurious" part of the property. Pool is not heated, covered in sand at the bottom, and the hot tubs were lukewarm for most of the time. One service person came by and told us to check back in 20 minutes, but after an hour of waiting for a hot hot-tub, we decided to leave. This is not a luxury place by any means, and if you are used to staying in full-service resorts in cabo for 300-500 a night, you will be very disappointed in the quality of lodging, amenities, and service. You are not allowed to bring outside drinks or food into the pool or common bar area, which would make sense if I were in NYC, but I've never seen this rule, nor have I ever had a problem with brining my own drinks to the pool at whatever resort I was staying at in Mexico. I don't feel like I was necessarily mislead with the quality of this hotel, but for the "retail" price, it's kind of ridiculous. As far as I could tell, there is no security on the grounds, which could be a major problem with a property that's so open.

Our Villa (number 27) was nicely furnished and relatively new looking. The front desk woman verified that it had been cleaned, but after a more detailed inspection, we found food remnants on the counters, dirty cups in the cupboards, and the tile floors were sandy and dusty. We swept the place and put obvious piles of dirt for housekeeping to take care of, but over our 5 day stay, the only thing that seemed to be done to our villa was a few dirty dishes (which was nice) and our bed was made a few times. These villas have thatched coverings, which, although cute, were either poorly designed, or poorly executed. They distribute dirt, dust, and what appeared to be the spent casings of some sort of wood-boring insect. We collected these bugs in a giant pile in the corner, and it wasn't noticed by housekeeping. These debris would cover half of our bed during the night, so my wife and I got some extra cozy time by sleeping on one side of the bed to avoid being infested by the mysterious bugs, dust, and dirt. See picture for the pile we accumulated over the week. We had 2 noticeable power outages, one that lasted the greater part of the day. We went to talk to the office about not having water or electricity and we were greeted by a man (as the office was seemingly closed?) and he said that we shouldn't worry about it and we should go shower in the ocean. I understand that he was joking around, and it was all in good fun, but generally after making a joke like that, you help the guest out. Not only did he not seem to care that we were concerned about having electricity and running water, he didn't make any effort to figure out when we would have service again. I understand that this place is running on generators and ships water in every day, but seriously, if you're charging 300 US a night, you should be expected to have running water and power and not be told by a shirtless man to "just relax" without having been confrontational at all.

Bar and restaurant staff are nice, but as with the overall issue with this property, there aren't enough people, systems, and consistency to really have much good to say...other than the staff themselves were nice people. Details about the screwy systems that others have detailed and should be blamed on incredibly poor management: A beer is 4 US dollars. I paid with a US 20, and received 200 pesos in change. They claimed they exchange they gave was 13 to 1 (pretty sweet!) but not if you do the exchange backwards. I effectively paid 4.60 for the beer due to their strange accounting. Yes, it's only 60 cents, but it's a clear demonstration of miscommunication and disorganization. The tab system they use at the bar is also incredibly inefficient and strange. For each order (say...2 drinks), you will have a ticket hand written with a total. Then, they will ask for the total in cash, or you can "charge it to your room". If you chose the second option, you have to sign the ticket, and it get put in your file. Now, if you stay for a week, order 5 rounds of drinks throughout the day, or perhaps more if you are really getting wild, that comes out to 35 individual tabs, that someone is responsible for putting in my file and keeping track of. I wouldn't mind if some of them are lost, but it was really annoying to have to check in to see what my balance was and who/how much I needed to tip. I paid a few days of my bills in the front office due to this concern, and when we checked out, the tickets were still in the file and we were almost double-charged.

The restaurant food is incredibly overpriced, but we really enjoyed our meal. An entree, appetizer, and 2 drinks was over 50 dollars but very tasty and good. We cooked most of our meals in our villa since shopping was relatively cheap and convenient (about 100 dollars for food and alcohol for 2 people, with tons leftover). The kitchen is entirely ill-equipped with 3 plates, a couple of bowls, a lot of mugs, and a lot of silverware. Two skillets, no oven supplies, no other amenities to speak of other than 2 tea towels and a sponge. If we had more than 2 people in this place, it would have been a nightmare to cook and serve.

A huge point to make is that due to the weird systems they have, lack of any really knowledgable person, and lack of service from housekeeping and others, this place is NOT service oriented. They have no pool-side or beach-side service, not that that's a huge deal, but it wouldn't be that hard to reserve one barstaff to check on guests every once in a while to see if they want a drink or snack.

The beach is incredibly nice. It was not especially warm when we were there, mid 70s, but it was relaxing to lounge and enjoy the sounds of the ocean. It didn't get too busy, and we appreciated the quiet.

Activities guy renting surf gear is very nice. Seems to be affiliated with Cerritos Surf Colony.

I'll end this long review with one last weird interaction I had with the barstaff. A woman ordered a margarita from the waiter. The waiter comes to tell the bartender to make it. The bartender tells the waiter that he can't because he doesn't have any limes. The waiter seems annoyed and goes back to tell the woman about the challenge. She then decides on a pina collada. Waiter comes back, same issue. No fruit. From what little Spanish I know, I picked up on this and told the waiter that I had fresh pineapple and pineapple juice in my villa. I offered to go get it for them, and he seemed grateful. I brought it back, continued to stand at the bar (this was the same time they were converting and reconverting my US money to turn my 4 dollar beer into a 4.60 beer). After he finished making the drink, he provided me with the leftovers of the blender. Now, I wasn't offering my pineapple and pineapple juice to get anything in return, but I was a little bit insulted when they didn't say much of it and handed me a drink I would never really want in the first place. I not only helped them please a customer, but I provided them with supplies worth at least 5 USD. Interestingly enough, they kept the leftovers and I went on my way, kind of baffled.

Overall, this place is in a cool, secluded location that can provide a relaxing atmosphere. It does not provide much in the way of good service, is overpriced, and is severely lacking quality management and professionalism. Overall, we enjoyed our stay in the area, but would have enjoyed it much more if this place had their stuff together and cared about their guests. If you read this after you paid 300+ a night for an idyllic vacation in Mexico, I suggest you reconsider and seek a refund.

Room Tip: 1st row has best views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank asaptravelplease
Mountainair, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The casita with a thatched roof was delightful. Large bedroom with a king size bed, good size bathroom with two sinks, large living area with cooking facilities, and a nice desk with table and lounge chairs. Cleanliness was okay. The cooking facilities were very good, however, there was not much in the way of cooking tools or dishes. The restaurant served tasty food and there are restaurants near by. Do take a trip to Todos Santos (about an hour away) which is a great town with great restaurants and lots of quality shopping and spas. If you like to explore, La Paz is a couple of hours drive.
March, when we visited, is a bit cold as there is a cold breeze off of the Pacific. Even the pool was freezing. The two hot tubs were not hot. But it was very relaxing and with the Groupon discount one really can't complain.

Room Tip: If you travel with family, they have two story casitas. All rooms are in a good location.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Like many others who have written reviews of CSC, we too bought a Groupon for 8 nights. We stayed there the last week of February. The property is truly in the middle of the desert and it is difficult to find, especially at night. We were not able to book an early flight so by the time we arrived at the Colony, it was dark. The distinguishable "flags" that mark the road to the property were not lit up so we drove back and forth before finally deciding that the dirt road MUST be the right one. We learned later that the generator that lights up the flags is often stolen. Our palapa was right on the beach and was perfect for our stay. The weather was very chilly and the wind off the ocean was very breezy, making our first few days quite cold. I was thankful that other reviewers had suggested to take sweats and sweatshirts and I was thankful that I had. Even the locals were cold! The weather did improve as the week went on. We had plenty of hot water and electricity and the concierge and office manager were very helpful. We paid for a week of internet and never had any issues.
There is much to do in El Pescadero and we thoroughly enjoyed eating breakfast at Baja Beans. We also enjoyed Todos Santos very much and Landi's was our favorite.....the chef's mixed Mexican appetizer platter was our favorite. Upon request, the chef even came out to explain how she made the sopes! Delicious.
The property is not fancy but it is more than adequate. The beds leave a lot to be desired but we did OK. The restaurant just down the beach is very good and we enjoyed the orange margaritas up at the Hacienda on the hill. The view and whale watching were highlights.
We would definitely go back but as many other reviewers have said, if you are looking for fancy all-inclusive resort-living, this is not for you.

Room Tip: Try to select the rooms that are in front, right on the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barbienana3
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

One of my good friends visited Cerritos and stayed at the Surf Colony a few years ago and would not stop raving about it when she came back. When an online discount coupon popped up, we jumped on the opportunity. About an hour drive from airport, Cerritos offers a laid-back alternative to those seeking to get off the grid and just quiet relaxation (there's no TV in the rooms, but there is one at the pool bar). The Surf Colony was the perfect size for us and it felt like a little community where everyone from the staff to the other guests would say hello or strike up a small conversation. Our oceanfront casita was like home and wonderfully furnished. (Plus, they have American outlets). The resort has several of those big white daybeds with curtains (so luxurious!) and if you want to feel extra fancy, check out the view and pool area at the Hacienda Cerritos, a sister property. There's no better place to enjoy the spectacular sunsets and some whale watching.

Some tips: Stop at the big local supermarket Soriana before you leave the Cabo area and stock up on groceries. And, take a surfing lesson! The local surfers on the beach will teach you and provide the board and wetsuit for under 50 bucks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank gchoochan
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The 1 bedroom palapa that my son an I stayed is was beautiful. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Heather helped with a map and made it easy for us to go into Pescadero and Todos Santos to gather groceries. The pescaria in Todos Santos offered the best pesca and camarrones ever and chea with a smile! This trip was magical for us and it may very well become our annual family vacation spot. We were able to experience the release of a nest of Olive Ridley turtle hatchlings - the highlight of the trip. gave Sam, my son, a lesson and was amazing. Sam has not stopped talking about surfing since we left. We will never forget this experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stacey Z
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Cerritos is a bit pricey for the average traveler, but then again - this was the best vacation I've had in a long time! Cerritos is in a beautiful desert - not too far from Todos Santos or Cabo; yet, you are still right on the beach in a fairly tranquil area.The Cerritos bungalows are cute and have the basics including towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, dish sponge and dish rags. The beds are giant and amazing. Since I was there in the Spring (2nd week in March) the evenings were still a bit cool, but there was an extra comforter in the main bedroom. I stayed in two different rooms while I was there and each had basic kitchen stuff, dishes, and an ice cube tray. The first room I was in was on the second row back from the beach and had a hairdryer. The second room didn't have a hairdryer and didn't have a coffee pot (no worries, I just made cowboy coffee since there was a stove-top pot and some filters). The second room did have more dish ware and was right on the beach front. I think that the bungalows kind of take on a life of their own in terms of those little extras depending on what folks leave behind. Remember, you are in the middle of no where so be patient if the water or lights go off for a few minutes - the entire complex is run on a series of generators. Thus, the hot water takes forever to heat up, which also affects how hot the hot tubs are by the pool (a bunch of folks complained about this unjustly). If the hot tub water is cool - just tell someone and they will show you how to use the tub switches and you can check back in half an hour after the hot tub has heated up a bit more. It is just amazing what extra pleasure you can enjoy from your vacation if you are just really nice to the staff and ask questions (hint hint to all the people with negative reviews). In sum, I thought the staff made this trip worth the $. I think Eduardo the bar tender/kitchen helper (it was his first week on the job when I met him) is the nicest and most helpful fellow ever. He was full of recommendations of places to go and things to eat. He even checked the weight of some earrings I bought to make sure I didn't get ripped off and that they were real silver. He gave my boyfriend tips for driving around here and in Cabo too (I think though Eduardo and by bf bonded over a love for big booty women and exchanged different phrases in English and Spanish to that effect ; ). The best part of our stay was that Eduardo was our very patient Spanish teacher. He corrected my pronunciation and encouraged me to speak more Spanish. But even better, he wasn't the only awesome staffer. Nikki in the office is gorgeous and very accommodating, and she also takes great care of the little Cerritos kittens! Julian is a professional martial arts master. That is right - he has 3 black belts in different martial arts and he is the Cerritos personal trainer. I was amazed at how approachable and friendly he was, and if I had stayed longer at Cerritos I would have definitely taken a kick boxing lesson with him. His specialty is pushing those already training in the martial arts to do their best, but he can also teach kids and novices alike. The main reason I didn't find time to train with him was because after doing yoga in the morning on the grass in front of the beach with Xena (nickname Nia) I was so relaxed I couldn't even imagine throwing a punch. Nia was my "personal" yoga trainer and she was incredibly intuitive even though she hadn't been teaching classes professionally for very long. Yoga with her was well worth the $! My first yoga class - she personalized it to be more about stretching out the legs (exactly what I needed as a runner not used to running in the mornings on soft beach sand, youch I was tight) and the second class had more power yoga positions (exactly what I wanted to push my muscles to work a little harder). She took the time to correct my form and ask what kind of moves I was interested in doing. While I was off running and doing my yoga, my boyfriend went surfing every morning. He rented a board, for the whole week to get a discount, from Mario down the beach (a small little stand where some locals have rentals and lessons). Surfing in Cerritos is awesome considering the break consistency. Check surfline.com before you come for a wind report though because on hot days the wind can really pick up in the afternoons. While we were at Cerritos, the resort opened up its own little rental stand. However, I kind of liked that my bf rented from some locals. Now at least there are more options so you can comparison shop prices and board types. In the whole scheme of things, you can tell I loved Cerritos because of the staff. Sure you can pay the same price for a fancy resort in Cabo and get your room with air conditioning, more reliable energy supply, and a hairdryer... but will Nikki, Eduardo, Julian, and Nia be there? That being said, the resort offers a returning discount for those who come again and keep your eyes out for any coupons online. It is also cheaper to bring a bunch of friends and split a bigger bungalow. Also, do some research before you leave so that you take a day trip to La Paz to snorkel around Espiritu Santos, make sure you go shopping in Todos Santos (eat there a lot!), and explore some of the other little beaches off highway 19. As for those pesky details... First off, you will need a rental car. Do some research before you go about what insurance you do and do not need because the rental experience will be VERY unpleasant. You will feel slightly robbed by the time you leave because no online price quote for a rental will ever match what you actually end up paying when you arrive in Baja. My boyfriend and I rented a rugged Jeep so that we'd have no problems with dirt roads since we wanted to explore some of the surrounding playas on the coast. Next, you can stop at a grocery store on the way in and stock up on the necessities. This is probably a great time to head to Wal-Mart and go straight to the ATM to pull out pesos. Generally, getting $ from an ATM will be a better rate and cheaper than going to a bank or airport exchange kiosk. Wal-Mart is also a great place to break large bills (most small restaurants aka the best taco stands you NEED to visit in Todos Santos won't have the change - btw get the pastor tacos and don't leave tip on the table, it is more polite to give it directly to your waiter in Mexican culture b/c it shows them respect; you will also probably have to ask for the check because your waiter will be too nice to rush you to finish enjoying your time at the table with family/friends). Before you leave home, call your bank to let them know you are traveling and check out their exchange fees and daily minimum for withdrawals. Bring or get a small cooler if you plan on taking drinks on day trips. Make sure you get plenty of purified water. Most people who complain in these reviews note the prices at the bar at the resort - but keep in mind you don't have to drink there, you have a full kitchen in your bungalow so plan ahead. Although the bar ambiance is great, the bartenders/chefs very sweet, and I hope they institute a happy hour in the future!

Room Tip: Our first room was 24 which was very quiet because it was at the end of the row. The rooms closer t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cerritos Beach Inn
Cerritos Beach Inn
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero
Cerritos Beach Hotel Desert Moon

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!