“Beautiful location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
St. Cloud
“Beautiful location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

First off, read user Conoseur's review. It says almost everything that I want to say about this place. Consider the following and addendum to his review:

My wife and I scored a Groupon style deal on a 6 day/night stay at Cerritos for our honeymoon. As native Minnesotans, we couldn't wait to escape Minnesota winter for a week. When we got there the weather was gorgeous! The first two days were absolutely beautiful (weather-wise).

Then, on the third day, the temperatures dropped rather dramatically. If you are going during the winter, MAKE SURE TO BRING WARM CLOTHES! The last four nights of our stay it got down to the mid 40s F.

These villas are designed to keep things cool, not warm. Thatched roofs, tile floor, no heat or air, etc... The beds are very firm and only come equipped with a sheet and one blanket (very thin). Needless to say, this did not cut it when trying to sleep in an uninsulated villa at 47 degrees F. We asked for an additional blanket and got it on the same day. The additional blanket they gave us was a very cheap, thin, fleece blanket. It didn't really help much. Luckily, we were able to acquire a third, thicker blanket which made the nights more tolerable.

We stayed in a one bedroom beachfront villa adjacent to the pool (Villa #9). It was beautiful. Being able to wake up and step out to a patio with an amazing view of the ocean was amazing. The villa had a kitchenette with a full-size fridge, four-burner cooktop, sink and microwave. The cookware was modest, but adequate for our needs. I cannot stress enough to read Conoseur's review on this site, STOCK UP IN CABO before heading to the resort! The food and drinks that we enjoyed at the pool bar/restaurant was very good, but was very over-priced. Cook your breakfasts and lunches in your villa to save a lot of money. For dinner, head to Todos Santos!! I STRONGLY recommend this strategy to anyone on a budget. Todos Santos is a short 10-15 minuted drive from the resort and is MUCH cheaper. We ate very well (with drinks) for roughly $18 American for each dinner for both of us. I would definitely recommend Miguel's, Boyitaco, and La Esquina. All had great food at a very reasonable price. We also ate at Bob Marlins and found it to be over-priced (at least the drinks), mediocre, and painfully slow.

As Conoseur noted, the activities are all pretty much off-site and can get rather expensive. Pretty much any activity will cost you around $70 per person, plus they tack on extra fees and charges when you arrive to the activity site. My wife and I had hoped to do more activities, but most of them really aren't worth the money. The one activity that I would recommend, which is also completely free, is the liberacion de tortugas in Todos Santos. You get to see sea turtles hatch, and then release them in the Pacific! It was pretty cool. Make sure that you get the proper directions from the front office, as we were told the wrong location and traveled to the same spot two evenings in a row only to be disappointed. We talked to a local after the second failed attempt and they gave us the proper directions.

Over-all, we loved our honeymoon at Cerritos! The weather was unfortunate, but hardly the resort's fault. Definitely rent a car, stock up in Cabo, and travel frequently to Todos Santos!

Room Tip: Definitely get a beachside villa! If going during the winter, bring warm clothes! We stayed in Villa...
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PeteWernerMN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Greeley, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

This resort takes me back in time when visiting Meico was so different. It is a great place to be one with the ocean. Don't expect a luxury resort, but the casitas are great and the pool area is very nice. It is was a bit chilly at night so don't go without hoodies and warm pajamas! We spent a week between two weeks in Cabo and the blend was perfect. Definately get a car so you can enjoy the area around Cerritos. Going back in December!

Room Tip: Our cassita was in the front row along the beach - it was great! Sat on the patio with coffee and w...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us enough to return, that is great news! We appreciate your suggestions that you posted for other travelers. Thank you for your helpful review, we consider all feedback valuable in ensure the best quality stay for our guests.
regina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just got back from an 8 day stay at Cerritos Surf Colony. We had our 3 kids (4,3 and 8mos) and a 2 bdrm beachfront villa. It was the perfect amount of space, there was a full kitchen (could of been stocked a bit better with a few things such as roasting pan, extra cloths), and each of the bedrooms were a good size.
You can't beat the location. View of whales right from front patio and master bed. The resort is small enough that we felt comfortable giving the kids some freedom to explore. There is a couple yards of grass out front (perfect for baby) and then a few steps down to the beach which was great for kids.
The resort itself is fairly new and has some kinks to work out, so if you don't expect perfection...except for location, then this is an amazing spot!
Two downsides: no broom in room, and we had kids dropping food, tracking sand and the night we arrived it was very cold, and the blankets weren't warm enough (but we had brought beach blankets that we used)
We would recommend to anyone and would definately go back...we'll be watching for the next coupon!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shanwick5
Brandenburg, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The views are spectacular, the concept is admirable, the execution is lacking.

Upon arriving, it is quaint, out-of-the-way and rustic. (unpaved, rutty road to the facility, Mayan-style Palapas (Thatched Roof).

If you are a "dude", then you will fit in 'Surf's Up'. If you smoke, then you smelling your neighbor's smoking at midnight won't bother you, nor will smelling the other neighbor's smoking at 6AM. (Thatched roofs, don't keep out the smells, or keep in the warmth.

Clientele are surfers, bikers, and old hippies from LA/SFO. If you have ever been to bike week and stayed in an 'old motel' along A1A, and enjoyed it, then this is your place.

Had to listen to the owner/mgr berating a few poor Mexican maids. Certainly wouldn't be tolerated in the US. Wanted to say something, but decided to just check out 3 days early.

Won't return. Up the road was the Rancho Pescadero which is what I expected Cerritos to be.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are amazing, one's in the back, not so much. Like the adage, if you aren...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mkwaggs
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Before I bought the groupon deal I've read a lot of reviews about this place and most of them were negative but in a non major way. The only thing that I was afraid of was the ongoing construction which was mostly done by the time we got there.
To the people that come here from the US, you have to realize, you are on Mexico time, it means that things are done in a less rushed way, you might have to wait a bit and this is a fact, just accept it.
If you expect it to be a resort, like the ones in Cabo, don't, you will be deeply disappointed. It is 50 Villas with a gorgeous Pacific ocean view, a pool with heated jacuzzi and a bar, that's it. No onsite activities, no parties, nothing. Remember, middle of nowhere. So I would suggest to research ahead of time and decide if this is a vacation for you.

Tips before you get to the colony:
* On your way to Mexico you fill out a customs form, fill both the entering and exiting portion of the form, don't lose the exiting portion because they will hustle you at the airport on your way home.
* Like many people that mentioned that before me; rent a car online while you are still in your country of origin because if you will rent it from the guys at the airport it will be twice as much. Another thing to consider is the mandatory insurance that they charge you, The car might be only $11 a day but add $25 insurance and you get the real price.
* Bring your own GPS or you can get a map from the car rental place, renting a GPS from them will be around extra $8 a day and it's not worth it because the roads are so logical that it is really hard to get lost, I tried to get lost on purpose in Cabo and still managed to find a way.
* Stop in Walmart in Cabo and try to get most of your grocery shopping done there. We didn't really know what kind of cookware will be waiting for us in Cerritos so we decided to stock up on ready meals and soups. I would suggest you to buy alcohol in Walmart, it's cheap and convenient. We had to drive to another grocery store two days later so I will save you the trouble and tell you that you can definitely buy fresh/frozen seafood, meats, fruits and vegetables, salt/pepper, hand soap, napkins, toothpicks, coffee, tea, sugar, flour and anything else that you might need to cook or snack on. We were there as a couple, ate like kings and spent no more than $120 on all the groceries plus alcohol. Dining at the pool bar or the beach restaurant is a rip off because it is more expensive than a vasectomy in Mexico (not that I would know)
* Don't forget to buy bottled water as well, we bought 3 trays of 26 bottles each (600ml) and it was worth it. Individual bottled water is a bit pricey but you can always get the five gallon jugs, after all, you are driving so it's better to think ahead and not suffer from certain Mexican revenge.
* Try to plan your flight so you will land by 1 pm and this way you won't have to drive to the colony after dark. Road 19 is very good and is two lanes to each direction but I wouldn't drive there at night because of wildlife that comes to hang out on the hot asphalt. I will say that this road provides one of the prettiest views that I have ever seen.
It is really easy to find this place, you will a bar/art gallery with a huge 3D beer can sign, and it is about 5 miles from there that you will see two flags on the left side of the road; this is where you turn left and drive about a mile on a dirt road, it's the only road to the colony so you can't miss it.

About the place:
* First and foremost: The internet is not free, it costs $10 a day but I was told that if I buy it for the duration of our stay I will get one day for free, it is also worth mentioning that the code that you are given allows you to connect one device only, so if you want to connect two laptops for whatever reason, you'll have to pay double. I will say that our hacienda (#25) was on the complete opposite side of the management office and I still had 3 solid bars on my laptop modem, with a cellphone you would probably have to hang out around the pool area because a modem in a cellphone is much weaker. However, you can use the internet both in the colony and the Hacienda Hotel up the cliff.
* You will have to pay room tax which will range anywhere between $40 and $60 depending on the room and duration of your stay, but it shouldn't come as a surprise because it was mentioned in the groupon and the email correspondence.
* The houses are built in two rows, ocean view and the ones behind them.
* The place doesn't offer activities on the premises besides surfboard and bodyboard rentals but those suck so you can always go down the beach and rent yours from the various surfs shops situated on the sand. They will coordinate other activities like boat charter for fishing and whale watching but it can get pricey.
* Yes you will have no water for an hour or so at least once during your stay but it never happened during the evening hours and was promptly addressed, I don't see it as an inconvenience, I mean after all, this place is in the middle of nowhere and is powered by generators so considering this it is admirable. The electricity can get spotty but not power outages, just flickering lights from time to time.
* The pool is amazing and the two Jacuzzi are a real treat, you can use the other pool and Jacuzzi located in the boutique hotel up the cliff, I'd actually advice you to do it because the view is unsurpassed.
* Being there in January we enjoyed the warm water and the fact that the temperature was a stable 80 degrees, it did get cooler as the sun set and kinda cold during the night but it is a desert so no surprises there, bring warm clothes for the evenings and tank tops and shorts for the days.

About our cottage, #25:
We had a one bedroom house and it was almost perfect!
You could see that a lot of work was put in the place and it all looks good but lacks some finishing touches, some drawers were missing handles, the light in the shower worked only one day and all the handles were loose. Again, nothing that my trusty leatherman couldn't take care off but I would suggest maintenance to go over these things at least once a month.
Our cottage had a full size fridge, a stove top, a coffee maker, toaster, and a microwave.
It had two sets of coffee mugs, a lot of plates from all sizes, four bowls, and all the utensils that you would need to cook and eat with. They had a couple of frying pans, but the only thing that we were missing was a pot so we had to use the stainless steel salad bowl, it worked fine for us.
There is no radio, or TV there but it's a good thing because if you go there to get some solitude you don't need all those gadgets, you have the beach and the waves.
They should really put a broom in each cottage because the housekeeping sucks and I'd much rather clean by myself.
We did have clean towels every day so that wasn't a problem.
No bugs or spiders in our cottage, the roof is nicely done and the only problem in the bedroom was the fact that it's not snug to the walls so it was a bit cold at nights.
* We did have a house cat though! She came to us because she probably knew we needed one and spent most of our time there in our bed, when she wasn't busy catching desert mice for us that is.
* Overall this particular cottage was excellent!

Things to do around the area:

* As the name implies, it is a surfing spot with pretty big waves (overhead or double overhead at times) and strong currents and backwash so swimming there while adventurous is not really recommended to people that have no buddy or little kids without supervision. The beach is empty and only if you go closer to the cliff, right where the restaurant is you will encounter locals, surfers, sliver sellers, and other tourists.
* Don't buy silver from the beach sellers, they do have nice selection and the silver is real but the same things can be found in Todos Santos for 1/4 of the price.
* Take your car and go explore. As I mentioned before, you can't really get lost on that single road and if you head further than the colony you will pass El Pescadero which is more of a village than a town and then Todos Santos which is a small town with excellent restaurants, gift shops, architecture and the famously fake Hotel California.
* Explore Todos Santos, go outside the beaten path of the two main streets and venture into the side roads and see how people really live there, it's a nice refreshing view that gets you to appreciate what you have back home. The food in this town is both cheap and tasty so eat away.
* There is no nightlife in both towns so keep that in mind, Cabo is always an hour's ride away.
* When you buy anything in the gift shops, haggle, you can always get a minimum of 30% off and sometimes more.
* Buy the local Tequila and the Tequila liquors, both can be bough for around $35. I personally wouldn't buy any ultra premium Tequilas that they try to sell you, they can be found for a much cheaper price on the internet, besides, you wouldn't go to Italy and buy a windmill replica, why would you buy Jalisco Tequila from a guy in Baja?
They have two banks in the town but from what I understand only BankNort has foreign exchange. Also, if you go to the teller and exchange there you will get smacked with a hefty surcharge so I would suggest to use the ATM to get your Pesos from your bank account.
* Be nice to the locals and they will be even nicer back.
* Venture to the other dirt roads that will get you to magical beaches like Punto Lobos where local fishermen sell their catch in the afternoon.

All in all it was an excellent trip and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to experience the real Mexico and not a tourist trap resort.

Room Tip: We were in Hacienda #25
27 Thank Conoseur
Thank you for your valuable feedback, it is important to us. We are glad that you can appreciate the "off the grid" atmosphere that our Surf Colony provides our guests. We agree that it is indeed nice to get away, really away from the hustle and bustle of the big cities. We welcome you back anytime!
New Westminster, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Hut #30 is right beside the pool, the generator and a pathway for the workers.
It was very loud in the morning at around 7am when the day started, but quiet in the evening.

The water pressure was on and off and there was barely any hot water. The water is on a timer as the whole complex is powered by a generator.

The food was over priced as well as the drinks. This is probably due to the fact that the closest town of Todos Santos is about 20mins. away. There is a long dirt road to the complex, I didn't mind this as I love off roading, but it was flooded when we got there from a rain storm the previous night, so we had to take a different route in.

The huts were amazing. There are 2 level townhouses for larger groups and 1 levels for singles or couples. You're always close to the beach no matter where your hut is. And the beach is amazing. It's huge and there is always a spot. You can stay away from the crowd or walk closer to the Cerritos Hacienda on the hill where all of the surfers are. This beach is perfect for sunsets.

Room Tip: #30 would be the loudest hut out of all of them.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica B
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

After reading all the negative reviews I felt it necessary to share our experience at cerritos surf colony. My family and I spent 4 days at the resort and LOVED IT. Nothing like sleeping to the sounds of the waves and having coffee on your patio and watching the whales in the pacific. We stayed in 2 studios front row , had plenty of hot water and no trouble with the toilets. The rooms are clean and adequate . I forgot a hair dyer and Nickki found one for me, but bring your own. The food at the restaurant was amazing and priced well. We enjoyed breakfast ,lunch and dinner. Better than some restaurants in Cabo San lucus. The staff couldn't be more helpful. In fact I had car trouble and Nickki stayed well after her shift was over till Avis delivered a new car. There is nothing to do at night so bring games. My family and I spent time on the patio after dinner just playing board games and enjoying each others company. Great bonding time. The beach is peaceful unlike Medano beach where the are plenty of peddlers. You can take long walks and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Town is only 8 miles away if you want to do some site seeing and shopping, so I suggest renting a car. If you are looking for 5 star hotel this is not for you. But if you are looking for 5 star peaceful , relaxing and good surfing , great staff, great food, unbelievable views, this is the place. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK NEXT YEAR?

Room Tip: When booking try and get Front row.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cerritos Beach Hotel Desert Moon
Sol Pacifico Cerritos
Sol Pacifico Cerritos
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!