Cerritos Surf Town
Rancho Pescadero(El Pescadero)
$255
TripAdvisor
Hotel San Cristobal(Todos Santos)
$450
$14
Priceline
Posada La Poza(Todos Santos)
$195
Hacienda Todos Los Santos(Todos Santos)
$190
$130
Villas de Cerritos Beach(El Pescadero)
Travelocity
Tortugas Cerritos(El Pescadero)
Hotel Miramar(Todos Santos)
  • Pool
Hotel California(Todos Santos)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbedroom villapaper towelstodos santosscreen doorocean frontthatched roofcoffee makerla pazthe cliffbring a flashlightswim up barbeach towelsday triplos adobesplenty of hot waterbaja beansnight life
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We rented three beachfront villas over the week of Thanksgiving for a family reunion---two one bedroom and one studio. For two people, the studio was perfect, nothing more relaxing or romantic than lying in bed looking out the sliding glass door at the crashing waves. The one bedroom will sleep three, we read somewhere that two could sleep in the loft, but that's just not feasible. We did our research and stopped at the Walmart in Los Cabos on the way up. I recommend paper towels, the Two gallon jug of water along with a dozen small bottles to refill and the Off Family Style bug repellent. There are coffepots in all the villas so some coffee too. We also got milk and cereal for breakfast but few of us ate it, the pool bar breakfasts were that good. Dinners we ate out except for our last night when some of the family brought back fish they had caught and the pool bar chef fixed a delicious dinner for us from the fish.

The staff was really exceptional, the ladies working in the office, Ophelia and Nikki fixed most of our problems and the guys working the pool bar were great!
We had a rented car (a must!) and driving at night from either Cabo San Lucas or Todos Santos is not a problem security wise. You have to watch out for crazy drivers, donkeys and inebriated pedestrians or drivers (crazy or drunk, I don't know which).

My recommendations for happiness---put the Off on your legs and face about an hour before and after sundown --- a couple of mornings there were gnats around so have it handy. Also if you leave the resort, apply the Off. Get a fan from the office to put in the doorway, if you go to Todos Santos, ladies stick some TP in your purse, the public restrooms don’t have any. Walk the beach at sunrise and sunset. Go to Art & Beer (wear mosquito repellent), eat at La Casita (let the chef choose), Fonda El Zaguan. Relax…

The people who live in this area are friendly and helpful, we just had wonderful experiences with everyone we encountered. Every one of the eight people we had along said this was hands down the best vacation ever. I think it was a little slice of paradise.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront villa.
4  Thank chevybb
Reviewed November 26, 2012

If you're on this sight, then hopefully that means you're doing your homework. This is imperative if you want to have a good time!

This is not a five star resort, so don't expect it. It is an incredibly comfortable, safe place to stay while visiting Baja. It is away from the larger cities, which I enjoyed. As others have said, if you're looking for an active night life, you won't find it here. RENT A CAR!

Bungalow 7 is a studio, walk in and immediately you see a bed, two night stands, and a small area for a "kitchen." I use that word loosely. My bungalow was about the size of the average hotel room-approximately 300 square feet. My "kitchen" was a microwave, a small sink, plates, glasses, utensils, a wine bottle opener, and a larger dorm size refrigerator. Towels were plush and plentiful. They were not the cheap, threadbare towels that you get in other hotels, even the nicer ones. I don't mean to go on and on about the towels, but they were so thick and soft and smelled so good! Water pressure was great and I had plenty of hot water and electricity. The queen sized bed was comfortable, sheets were acceptable, and pillow was okay. I was gone most days, but on two days that I was there when she came by, I declined room service. I don't clean my house every day, I don't expect my hotel room to be cleaned every day. Just my preference. I felt completely safe here. In fact, I left my door open, but screen closed every night. I wanted to hear the surf and nature. Ultimately, the Colony was perfect for me, a solo traveler.

I was there Monday-Sunday and wi-fi went out on Friday. Some may have looked at that negatively, but it just made me go out and explore the area. I have cell service with T-Mobile and my phone worked great off of the Movistar tower. I made a few short calls with no problems. All of my texts went through.

I did not eat at the Colony, so I cannot comment on the food. I am an independent person, so once I checked in, I didn't go back to get information from the staff, so I cannot comment on how helpful they were.

The place is beautiful. Don't expect the Ritz, just expect to completely relax.

Two comments:
Because the Colony is adjacent to the public beach, I got numerous solicitations to purchase silver, sometimes from the same person just a few minutes apart. That made me not want to go to the beach. My other piece of advice is to bring with you a handful of the folded paper towels you find in a rest room. These aren't provided (or weren't in my room) and would have been handy in my "kitchen." I could have probably asked for them somewhere, but it really wasn't that important.

Other suggestions:
I flew into Cabo and chose to rent a car from Dominic. As others suggested I stopped at Wal-Mart and stocked up. Because I had a flight delay, I got to Cerritos right at sunset. I had no problem locating the entrance because I looked for two orange flags on the side of the road. It is just past Art & Beer. The road is rough, but I found that it was easy to find. Word to the wise, Mexico is not the place to text and drive, talk on the phone and drive, nor play with the gps unit or radio. You MUST be keenly aware of the other drivers. If you are not alert, you could be seriously hurt.

When I left the Colony to travel, I found the highways to be clean, and once you're out of Cabo and LaPaz, the roads have light traffic.

Seeing people complain about the air conditioning is ridiculous to me. You're in the tropics in a bungalow with essentially no top. Would you have air conditioning if you had no roof? Why would they?

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
16  Thank Laura S
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I too was a little concerned about the negative reviews and tried to keep my expectations in check. When we arrived we found that the screen door kept falling off the rails, the shower didn't drain very quickly, and the cabinets were a bit janky. But guess what, you learn how to make due with the screen door, and the shower eventually drained and their not your cabinets so who cares. YOU'RE ON VACATION, so just relax and enjoy!

We felt a little spoiled, it was just two of us in a spacious, super comfortable two bedroom/three bath villa. Villa #2 to be exact, right on the south edge of the existing property. Looks like there were the beginnings of the foundation for another villa going in next door, so I'd check to see where construction is. There were some other units being built on the north side of the property while we were there and I imagine that could get a little nosey. WiFi at the beautiful pool was strong, but didn't seem to reach all the way out to villa #2 (I could get it on my computer, but not on my phone).

Less than 10 feet, no joke, outside our front door was the beach. And what a beach it is. Hardly anyone there. One day we took an hour walk and only saw two people! The water is lovely and nothing turns a grown adult into a six year old quicker than playing in the waves.
My boyfriend took a great surf lesson and got up on his board in less than 20 minutes.

I can't recommend highly enough springing for the ocean-front villas. They really are a piece of heaven, I could sit on that balcony watching the waves all day. And I'm from Los Angeles. Somehow you just can't get the same feeling in LA.

The staff were all warm and welcoming, we felt well taken care of. The food on sight (and at the nearby beach club) was good but I'd recommend going into Todos Santos at least a couple times, to get the local flavor (and at about half the price).

Our first night we were swarmed by invisible biting bugs and were itching for days. So I highly recommend bringing some bug spray and maybe even a personal citronella candle. I have no idea if they're bad all year, but we talked to a local who said that they're not nearly as bad during the dry season.

Also, just a quick suggestion for the property managers/owners: perhaps you could include a broom in each villa? We certainly didn't need housekeeping service each day, but could have used a good sweep to get rid of some of the sand, which we were happy to do on our own. It seems like a big ask, I know, but could you also consider splitting the property up between adults and those with children. We don't have kids, but can appreciate how families enjoy a beach vacation, but were awoken three of the four mornings by yelling kids. They're just being kids, granted, so its not that big of a deal.

Room Tip: Make sure to check where construction is. I didn't but we lucked out and ended up being on the opposite side from it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gretchenenders
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just returned from staying here 10 days. After reading the negative reviews before we left we were not sure what to expect. After arriving and checking in we had a great time. This time of the year it gets dark very early around 5.45 p.m. so try and arrive during the daylight hours as it is difficult to see the entrance in the dark. Once leaving the highway the road is rough but drive slowly and you are good. We stayed in the 4 bedroom beach front villa and it was amazing. We cooked most of our own meals. Plenty of flatwear and cooking utensils. Make sure that you drink your own bottled water so as not to get any stomach bugs. Speaking of bugs there are bugs around but remember you are in the tropics so buy raid on the way down when you buy your groceries.Beds were comfortable bathrooms great. Plenty of towells and beach towells. Some times the water pressure goes but what we found was that people left the shower running when you come off the beach. Always turn the taps off as you are in a dessert area the water has to be brought in at home you do not leave the taps running so why would you on holiday. My 3 year old grandson was always turning the taps off. It was great not having T.V. or phones ringing no radio very relaxing. This time of the year we were watching the whales breaching. The ocean was great very warm and it was good to walk on the beach and watch the surfers. Overall a great vacation and would return

4  Thank vacationspecialist4
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We made our return visit to the Surf Colony and the Hacienda (see my review from May). We fell in love with this place then and were not disappointed on our return. This time we split our stay between the Colony and the Hacienda.

Upon our arrival we were persomally greated by many of the folks that we met the prior stay. From Bob the Brewer who actually approached us out of nowhere on the beach our first morning, to Gregorio and Cristo from the Hacinda. Absolutely amazing that they could remember us on site from May, but they did.

The ownership has made some middle management changes to correct some of the visitor isses and I would say that this was a big positive. Heather and Nick assisted us at the Colony with our questions and gave us some very interesting eating options in Todos Santos that we did not know from our earlier trip. The newly hired and very lovely Hanna met us our second day and provided us all the assitance at the Hacienda for the last days of our split stay.

As stated ... no this is NOT a tourist trap type hotel like down in Cabo. You are NOT continually harrased by someone trying to sell you something or by snobby tourist types. If THAT is what you are looking for, please do not stay here. If you are looking for perfection in ameneties ... do not stay here. If you want to fall asleep with the sound of the ocean emitting through a door with unobstructed views of the surf (and surfers) then stay here. At the Colony, we stayed in a 2 bedroon palapa with the master bedroom facing the ocean ... Perfect. For the end of the week we moved up to the Hacienda and stayed in the North Penthouse with perfect views of the sunset as well as numerous whales ... Perfect.

All of the negative items hat are referred to in most of the reviews are based on fact but VERY exagerated. All are very forgetable by the location and the friendly service provided by the Staff. None of the issues caused us to ruin our stay. I personally think the other reviewers need to look at what they expected to get and realize what they do get by simply giving up some of their life that they are on vacation to avoid. A short drive to Cabo can return all of that to them fairly quickly.

Again, could not be more pleased and are already planning a return in May and October of next year. As I said before ... "you can checkout, but you never leave".

Room Tip: If you have the option, select the beach row of villas at the Colony.
3  Thank Terrence N