“Great with some quirks with reservations”
Review of Cerritos Surf Town

Cerritos Surf Town
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
MO
“Great with some quirks with reservations”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We loved this place but there are some hiccups. We purchased the coupons(3) back in December 2011.

Rent a car as it is about 1 hours from the SJD airport. We stopped at Walmart and stocked up on food, beer, fans, toilet paper and paper towels, cleaner, coffee...just some tips that you may not think of. Bug spray for outside is a must. We brought ours but might buy some if you forget.

In January we placed our reservations for 3 one bedrooms bungalows. I sent in our names and the certificate numbers as requested for the dates 9/29-10/6. They said all was good on availability, had us down and I assumed it was done. In June, my mother in law asked what bungalow we were in. I told her no idea. She got hers with her confirmation number. I emailed them off the prior email that I received and that had no reservation for myself or my sister. They aid they had no 1 bedrooms available. After being asked several time for my confirmation email and certificate numbers AGAIN, and forwarding every email I had sent and received from them, they said that they could accommodate my family and sister in a 2 bd on our dates requested. We had our 4 year old and they said she could sleep with sister but they would also have a crib/pack and play in the bungalow. Not a problem with sister or us. Dates were again confirmed 9/29-10/6.

Upon arrival after a LONG day of travel, we arrive and they inform us they have us checking out 10/4. In law reservation was correct dates. They asked me for my confirmation number and I told them I had all the emails confirming all discussed. I had to boot up my computer to show her the emails with the dates that were Ok'd by Mindy Gonzalez. Asked if I had certificates? Was not told to bring them as they had the certificate numbers sent to them twice. She said they might be able to accommodate us by moving to another 2 bedroom for 2 days on the back end. Move 4 adults and a 4 year old, food and everything?? Ridiculous. We ended up moving to the Sheraton in Cabo the last 2 days.

Several other couples had the same problems with reservations and had to move to different bungalows, the Hacienda. and back and forth. They really need to get the reservation system worked out pretty quickly.

The good:
The bungalow was fabulous! Rooms great, kitchen great.

Food was good at the pool bar, but we did alot of cooking on our own.

Bring rafts and floaties for the pool. It was hot.

Pool beds were awesome.

Miguel and Julian ROCKED! So very helpful.

I personally LOVED being able to disconnect from technology- I got online once to pay a bill. I am dialed in when I am home and need a break from it.

No TV is awesome to me. The have a TV at the pool bar and will put on whatever if you are that desperate. NFL was on Sunday and they have most every sports channel.

The Hacienda is really pretty for a day away from the surf colony. We were told we could use the kitchen there to cook and we did but were told by Hacienda staff that we were not supposed to...whatever.

The tide pools below the Hacienda were neat late afternoon. Lots of little fish and sea urchins. Wear some beach shoes for this.

Went on a few walks and it is very peaceful and quiet. Cool shells and lots of crabs.

This is a surfers paradise as the waves are HUGE. More calm late afternoon.

Very communal place(which I love) kids play together, we met other couples and families and hung out, played games. Our neighbors were awesome, Had 5 year old and my daughter and him played together all the time.

Tips:

There is no air conditioning(doesn't bother me) but bring fans. Often when others leave there is the pay it forward system. We just asked others that had arrived if they need fans and passed along. Same with the food we had left.

Bring beach towels sometimes they run out. They do the laundry in Todos so sometimes they are late getting back or whatever. Just need to be flexible. Same with bath towels and washcloths.

In the evening if they had been taken and not replaced we just asked for them and thy were delivered.

Sometimes the pool would make our swimsuits green?? But they can be washed out.

It is very hot right now and humid so lots of mosquitoes and gnats. Just spray down with cutter and you are fine., They have torches and stuff burning around all the time in the evening.

I would return at some point and I loved it. Yes, no ac is a bummer at times but cold shower will do wonders.

I am a traveler that does not need to be catered too 24/7. Being with friends and family having fun is most important to me. Meeting new people and creating your own fun is my idea of a vacation.

The really should have thought through the windows opening in some rooms for airflow. The bedroom on our backside did not have windows that opened so we kept our door open which faced the ocean and the fan going in to their room for fresh cooler air.

The truck the water in so one day we were out for a few hours but hand sanitizer for hand washing and drink bottled water anyway.

If you are into a 5 star resort/service and being waited on hand and foot...not for you. If you like to chill and have no agenda whatsoever...for you.

We did go to Todos Santos one night for celebratory dinner(birthdays, anniversaries) and at ate Los Adobes de Todos Santos. It was fabulous. Really upscale Mexican. Highly recommend for a nice dinner out. Walk out back and it is gorgeous!

Room Tip: Any on the front side facing ocean
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jencot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
mission viejo
Reviewed September 22, 2012

First I want to say that the Cerritos Surf Colony is a very beautiful location and the villas are very nice. The décor is great with beautiful tile work in the bathroom/showers. The kitchen in the 2 bedroom villa was sufficient with decent size refrigerator. The view is amazing with the waves crashing in front and the Hacienda on the hilltop. Just beautiful. The pool area is nice. I personally prefer sitting on the beach under the palapas. The bar at the pool is nice and also serves as the restaurant. The food was pretty good. We only ate there one night and went into Todos Santos the other night. Matt welcomed us and was very nice and friendly. Everything looked great, but … MAJOR problem – no air conditioning! It was unbearable at night, with no relief from the warm temperatures. Other guests that we talked to basically said they were trying to get used to it. We bought a discount package that included four nights. However, because of the lack of air conditioning, we had to leave after the second night. We stayed in the two bedroom villa. The front bedroom had some airflow due to the sliding glass doors that open to the front balcony. The second bedroom is in the back of the villa and no windows opened to allow air flow. It was miserable for our friends and there was no way to resolve the problem because the windows did not even open. We decided to go back to San Jose del Cabo to stay in an air conditioned hotel. I wish there were some sort of disclosure of this major problem. We would have at least come at a different time of year. It is a great place to relax. There is not much to do and nothing close by …. So if you are into relaxing, reading, swimming, surfing, etc., it is the place for you … depending on the time of year.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank carole w
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I would like to share my experience and express a word of caution for those intending to buy internet discount coupons for Cerritos. I bought one for my family of 5 as a Christmas gift, endorsed Cerritos Facebook updates frequently with likes and comments of excitement for our upcoming visit, but when we arrived our reservation was not honoured and we were turned away ...without a map (Cerritos is in quite a remote area along the coast)...and $200 of groceries in hand. We had to find new accomodations (it was already 5pm) and are still awaiting somekind of re-imbursement. We were caught in the middle of a dispute between the owner and the owner of the coupon company. In brief, a nightmare for my family, but I would like to send a huge shout out to Matt at the front desk who was the one who had to be the messanger, you were very kind to me and felt for my family as I sat and cried in the lobby. I am sure we would have had a wicked time hanging out at Cerritos, its too bad we never got the chance. We moved on down the road to Todos Santos where we were able to get accomodations at the Hotel California - what a memorable experience we had there, we are so grateful for their generosity and good times - I will detail in another review so that I can offer a 5 star rating.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank TLK924

Travelers are raving about these El Pescadero hotels

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent 6 days here in September. Stayed in a one bed room efficiency. The complex is under construction. Each guest has a casita. The units are not air conditioned and there is no tv or internet (except at the pool). There are a limited number of one bedrooms with kitchens. We wanted a kitchen (the studio has a microwave and refrigerator) but probably would not have cooked anyway. New casitas are being built furhter from the beach. They have made some mistakes in the design of the earlier ones: no soap dish in the shower, no closet rod for hanging clothes and not enough open windows to get cross ventilation. The casitas are at the most 25 feet from the beach. It was hot and we requested a fan. It made sleeping bearable. The bed could have been better.The pool bar doubles as a the restaurant. Cooking is done out in the open. There are a fair number of flies. This is a pleasant place about 45 minutes north of Cabo. You need a car. There are a few restaurants in Pescador, about 5 minutes north and also some in Totos Santos (10 minutes). We particularly enjoyed the Pizza "stand" in Pescador. Not much to do at the resort other than lay around. There is no fitness center. The food at the hotel restaurant was good and reasonably priced. The chef would cook anything he had the way that you wanted. There were never more than 5 or 6 couples eating dinner. The beach is beautiful and there were never more than a handfull of people on it. There was a beach club about 100 yards down the beach with a restaurant. At times there were surfers out in the ocean. The water was calm and shallow. Perfect for just walking and playing. The place was very safe. Beach vendors did not come on the property. We never locked our casita. The complex ultimately will be a fractional ownership/timeshare. The owner has a vision and seems to be working on it. They do not seem to put a hard sell on the timeshare aspect. The pool is very nice and surrounded by pool beds. We spent a few nights laying out on them just looking at the stars.There are plans for a tennis court and also reception and main restaurant. The location is idyllic. The conditions are a little rustic. If you are looking to get away at a beach resort and aren't looking for high quality, this is it. The people are nice, food is good, and the facilities are clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room fronting on the beach
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Runnerusa
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Well my wife and I just stayed there the week of August 12th thru the 18th for our honeymoon. We got married the 11th and flew down the 12th. We were a lil nervous at first being our first time out of country. No reason really to be though.

I knew to rent a car ahead of time. This is really a must and well worth the price. I fully recommend visiting Antiono at Cactus Car rental. Its in the Economy car rental lot away from the airport. You can get their number online. We had a Volkswagon Jetta for the whole week for $250 USD included everything (insurance and such...). A shuttle ride from the airport to the resort is $160 USD one way! Just a heads up. Also definetly recommend getting groceries in Cabo San Lucas on the way to the resort. They have a walmart and costco you can stop by.

We got to the resort and wasnt hard to find. We were greeted by Matt. He is from the states originally so his English is on par. He showed us our room. We stayed in a studio right on the beachfront and was well worth it for just the 2 of us. The fridge is a lil small but no worries we made everything work out. The roofs are thatched (old palm tree leaves) and they do not have AC simply because it wouldnt keep the air in with the roof design. But it was nice with the ocean breeze and celing fan. This was my only downfall that took awhile to get used to was no AC. The studio was very nice and quiet. There was construction going on behind ours and it barely made any noise. Rumors of it being loud are FALSE! The bathroom was very nice and my wife loved the tile work in the shower and counters!

The ocean is merely 50 ft from your room front. The resort is secluded which is nice because you dont have overpacked beaches and you can get away from everything and RELAX!!! which was very hard for us to do the first few days. Everyone we met though was very nice and friendly. The staff at the bar was very pleasant to deal with and spoke enough English so our food always came out right. The bar only ran out of one item while we were there and it was only for a few hours. Cant even remember what it was but wasnt a big deal at all. Everything that came out of the bar was VERY DELICIOUS!! food was fresh and drinks were great. The bill can add up quick though so just be careful. We had everything charged to our room for the week and paid it at the end of the week during checkout. We ate at the resort everyday pretty much. It was interesting that it RAINED while we were there during 2 days. Talking to the locals they loved it because they havent had any good rain for 4 years!!! That blew my mind but glad they got the rain. It turns all the plants in the desert a nice green color. and it really dried up fast. The rain is a nice cooling in the heat. but not so cold you dont want to play in it lol.

There is a few towns close by that are definetly worth checking out. Matt was great at giving us recommendations! Do check out Pizza Napoli!!! very cheap and very authentic. laid back place and the pizza was very delicious. U could drive right by it on the way to Todos Santos. Todos Santos was a nice cultured town that gives you a sense of the arts there. Alot of shops and art studios. We ate lunch one day at the REAL Hotel California. Great food! Even snagged a bottle of their tequila that I was able to bring back. We unfortunately didnt get a chance to get into Pascadero, Heard it was really nice though. Alot of people we met were raving about a bar before the resort call art and beer. We didnt get to check it out but wish we would have. We did visit Cabo San Lucas one day to check it out, do some shopping and visit Cabo Wabo for lunch and another bottle of tequila. Neat experience but we were ready to get back to the resort!

We did get to take a tour of the 2 bedrooms and they are very nice! We are planning on going back again and when we do we are staying in a 2 bedroom just because of the space it provides. The studio was nice for us 2 but we want to share this place with friends and family. I have been all over the East coast and this place by far blows out alot of places I have ever been. Up and coming place and will be even more beatiful when its complete.

I would recommend getting down there if and when you can. Enjoy the relaxing and sun. The drink go down easy and the food is great. Matt is there to help and he is familiar with the area so head his advice. Do visit the Hacienda on the cliff. Very nice place to check out and the views are unspeakable. Do take a flashlight though so you can see better at night. The maid service was excellent and they came everyday!

Matt, Diego, and the rest of the crew ...... I will see you again soon !!!

Room Tip: Ocean front is the best way to go when your staying on the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Big_D_League
Bellingham, Washington, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I came here with my GF., my best friend, and her best friend. we stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 story casita, right on the beach. unobstructed views, great waves. first person we met was Matt at the front desk, makes everything a breeze, showed us to our room, gave great recommendations on places to eat and drink in the nearby towns of El pescadero and Todos Santos. everyone there was super friendly. our neighbors for 2 days that we drank with, left us their leftover food and alcohol. and we did the same for some others we met as well. kind of like a "pay it forward".

The Room: its HUGE!, big living room, with couch and coffee table. there is a table with 6 seats. kitchen is well stocked. fridge is full size. came with 2.5 bathrooms, half bath downstairs, and the other 2 upstairs in the rooms, with showers. the master bedroom has a balcony with views of the ocean, and the bathroom and shower are massive. everything is decorated in traditional mexican style. and there is mexican tiling in the bathrooms and kitchen. the roof is a thatched roof. only drawback is there was no air conditioning, only ceiling fans. but it wasnt that bad.

The Pool: the pool like everything else here is huge, it was clean. there is a swim up bar and restaurant right there at the pool. 2 hot tubs. barely anyone at the hotel this time of year, so most of the time we had it to ourselves, we played frisbee in the pool, and matt hooked it up with a football for us to throw around too. ive heard people complain the pool is not heated and is cold.....thats just rubbish, the water was fine, and it does get heated by the overflow of the hot tubs.

The Beach: its beautiful, soft sand with some black sand mixed in it. pretty clean too, and wasnt very busy in front of the hotel, was busier down at the beach club because of surf lessons and whatnot. u can rent boogie boards, or surf boards for 20 bucks for a full 24 hours. u can play around in the waves here, just be careful they are strong. but lots of kids were playing in them.

The Area: it was amazing, just what i wanted to see, this is real mexico. away from the touristy cabo/cancun/puerto vallarta feel. there was many good restaurants in todos santos and el pescadero. art shops, and bars. a few of the places we went were Sandbar, an awesome little bar in el pescadero, we sat there with the bartender watched UFC and chopped it up with him and a few locals for a few hours. we went to a restaurant in todos santos and had asada tacos and tacos al pastor that were to die for but i cant remember the name of the place, its an outdoor restaurant that has an awesome salsa bar. theres a Hotel California in todos santos too thats good for a photo op.

a few tips...definately rent a car, its about 1.5 hours from the airport. really easy to find, head up the highway until u see the orange flags and the cerritos signs, and drive on down that dirt road til u get there.

we bought groceries at walmart in cabo san lucas. a good idea to bring groceries, atleast for breakfast and snacks, we had lunches and dinners out. but we bought beer and tequila, limes, and breakfast suff.

Room Tip: rent a car
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Mike A
Vancouver
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed in a studio right on the beach. Gorgeous view, very peaceful. Although the studio is advertised as having a kitchenette, it is basically just a microwave and very small fridge, so don't stock up on food supplies too much! You definitely need a car if you stay here, but the beachfront location is worth coming for.
Bug spray for night is a must in august. Also it was very humid some nights during this time of year and hard to get comfortable as no a/c. The hacienda pool is well worth visiting. Temperature is much cooler and therefore more refreshing than the surf colony pool. We paid groupon price so feel we got a great deal. Romantic spot for couples or just a nice beach holiday for families with young children.

Room Tip: Ask for beachfront location.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cerritos Beach Inn
Cerritos Beach Inn
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero
Cerritos Beach Hotel Desert Moon

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!