We also bought our trip via a Groupon-type deal and were nervous after reading all the reviews. We had a great time and recommend that you simply set your expectations so you also have a great trip. If you like nightlife, constant activity, and 5-star service this place is NOT for you. If you want a peaceful haven, a friendly and very laid-back atmosphere, a lovely pool, and the beach literally at your doorstep, it IS for you.
- Part of the beauty of Cerritos is that it is far from the noise of Cabo. We never once heard people talking when we were trying to sleep. No loud music kept us awake. We slept to the sound of the ocean, which was right outside our front door and it was overwhelmingly peaceful. We did hear construction noise, but very little. I am a light sleeper and it never really bothered me.
- The 2-bedroom villa was large, comfortable, and well furnished. The tile work was absolutely beautiful.
- The weather was awesome. It is definitely cooler than San Jose del Cabo, but we almost died of heat and could barely walk when we visited there one day, as it was well into the 90s. It was never too cold to play on the beach or swim at Cerritos. There are many areas around the pool that are sheltered from the wind. At night, I did like wearing a light long sleeved shirt and long pants, and I was glad that I brought long PJs for nighttime. It was by no means cold or overly windy though!
- No bugs at all. I brought bug spray based on a previous review, but we never saw a bug. Not one.
- The resort is so mellow. They pretty much leave you alone unless you want something and then you just need to ask. I liked that people from outside the resort were allowed to come in and eat/swim. The kids enjoyed new company and the place felt open and mellow. It was never crowded though and we could always sit wherever we wanted. But when we went to our villa, we felt totally enclosed in quiet privacy.
- The location is great. We went into Cabo twice, San Jose del Cabo once, La Paz, and Todos Santos a few times. The roads were empty and well paved. Directions were easy. We did get shaken down by a policeman in San Jose del Cabo for some bogus driving error, but we gave him $20 and were on our way. So it was nice to be centrally located to all those great places, and better to come back to our quiet "home" in Cerritos. If you go to Cabo, we recommend the Cabo Dolphin zipline adventure. We and the kids had a blast. The snorkel tour was nice, but the wind was up and visibility was poor. Todos Santos is great--have Matt tell you where to get ceviche, which was delicious. And my husband loved the $2 fish tacos at George's. Stay away from Tequila Sunrise, across the street from the Hotel California. They were nice and the food was fine, but it was hugely overpriced. La Paz was fun for snorkeling, but it was so hot that we could barely move. In Cabo, we had 2 delicious meals at Solomon's, right on the Marina and next to a great shopping alley. Also, definitely nose around the Cerritos Hacienda on the hill. It's gorgeous and nice that you can use its pool!
- The beach was beautiful and pretty empty. Water was great for surfing and boogie boarding. Very safe.
- Our villa's second bathroom smelled awful when we arrived. However, Matt and the maintenance man fixed it so it was much better. The weird thing is that there are no windows that open in the back bedroom and bathroom, which would have helped. Once again, they fixed the problem quickly although there still was a minor lingering odor.
- Maid service pretty much only made beds, emptied garbage, and swept. Not much else, even when tipped. (No clean sheets or dishtowels after 8 nights! Washcloths disappeared after 2 nights.) But then again, for what we paid, it was no big deal.
- The sheets were very well worn. I am picky about this, so we simply brought our own sheets from home and put them over the existing sheets. It was perfect.
- Bar service wasn't great and if you ordered food there, be prepared for a long wait. We thought the food was fine, but not great. But we did like that they didn't bug us if we didn't want to eat or drink and just wanted to sit out there and do email.
- Lots of small things like the fact that the doorframe had been chipped away so you could turn your key, and the sharp edges cut us if we weren't careful; our upper door didn't lock; you couldn't open windows in the second bed/bathroom; our front "yard" was just dirt...
But when it came down to it, we felt lucky to have gotten such a great deal to stay there. Don't expect 5-star amenities and service at the price you paid. It wasn't perfect. But it was relaxing and very mellow. It was so easy to get there, get around, and just let go of everything else. And the resort and villas really are very nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cerritos Surf Colony is located on world famous Cerritos Beach with a reputation frequently noted in Surfer Magazine for champion surfing. Cerritos Beach is the best beach in Cabo, and voted first runner up in Los Cabos Magazine! Cerritos Surf Colony is a neighbor to both the Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel (a majestic mansion hotel located on a private cliff at the shore of the ocean), and the celebrity frequented hot spot Cerritos Beach Club & Surf where you can get surfing lessons, board rental, and great food.Cerritos Surf Colony is a beach front resort of Mayan inspiration and thatched palm roofs. The free standing studio, one, two, and four bedroom villas are solar energy assisted. Enjoy our amazing swimming pool and bar, surf the waves out your back door , climb the Sierra de la Lagunas, explore the artist colony of Todos Santos, or just lay back in your own palm shaded hammock.ATV rental, horseback riding, kayaking, fishing, art gallery walks, hiking Triple Waterfall, Voluntourism, massage, are just some of the things to enjoy here in Baja California. Los Cerritos provides simplicity, tranquility and a break from city life that you have been longing for. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Cerritos Surf Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cerritos Surf Colony Hotel El Pescadero
- Cerritos Surf Town Mexico/El Pescadero - Todos Santos