“Just set your expectations...”
Review of Cerritos Surf Town

Cerritos Surf Town
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
California
“Just set your expectations...”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We also bought our trip via a Groupon-type deal and were nervous after reading all the reviews. We had a great time and recommend that you simply set your expectations so you also have a great trip. If you like nightlife, constant activity, and 5-star service this place is NOT for you. If you want a peaceful haven, a friendly and very laid-back atmosphere, a lovely pool, and the beach literally at your doorstep, it IS for you.

THE GOOD
- Part of the beauty of Cerritos is that it is far from the noise of Cabo. We never once heard people talking when we were trying to sleep. No loud music kept us awake. We slept to the sound of the ocean, which was right outside our front door and it was overwhelmingly peaceful. We did hear construction noise, but very little. I am a light sleeper and it never really bothered me.
- The 2-bedroom villa was large, comfortable, and well furnished. The tile work was absolutely beautiful.
- The weather was awesome. It is definitely cooler than San Jose del Cabo, but we almost died of heat and could barely walk when we visited there one day, as it was well into the 90s. It was never too cold to play on the beach or swim at Cerritos. There are many areas around the pool that are sheltered from the wind. At night, I did like wearing a light long sleeved shirt and long pants, and I was glad that I brought long PJs for nighttime. It was by no means cold or overly windy though!
- No bugs at all. I brought bug spray based on a previous review, but we never saw a bug. Not one.
- The resort is so mellow. They pretty much leave you alone unless you want something and then you just need to ask. I liked that people from outside the resort were allowed to come in and eat/swim. The kids enjoyed new company and the place felt open and mellow. It was never crowded though and we could always sit wherever we wanted. But when we went to our villa, we felt totally enclosed in quiet privacy.
- The location is great. We went into Cabo twice, San Jose del Cabo once, La Paz, and Todos Santos a few times. The roads were empty and well paved. Directions were easy. We did get shaken down by a policeman in San Jose del Cabo for some bogus driving error, but we gave him $20 and were on our way. So it was nice to be centrally located to all those great places, and better to come back to our quiet "home" in Cerritos. If you go to Cabo, we recommend the Cabo Dolphin zipline adventure. We and the kids had a blast. The snorkel tour was nice, but the wind was up and visibility was poor. Todos Santos is great--have Matt tell you where to get ceviche, which was delicious. And my husband loved the $2 fish tacos at George's. Stay away from Tequila Sunrise, across the street from the Hotel California. They were nice and the food was fine, but it was hugely overpriced. La Paz was fun for snorkeling, but it was so hot that we could barely move. In Cabo, we had 2 delicious meals at Solomon's, right on the Marina and next to a great shopping alley. Also, definitely nose around the Cerritos Hacienda on the hill. It's gorgeous and nice that you can use its pool!
- The beach was beautiful and pretty empty. Water was great for surfing and boogie boarding. Very safe.

THE BAD
- Our villa's second bathroom smelled awful when we arrived. However, Matt and the maintenance man fixed it so it was much better. The weird thing is that there are no windows that open in the back bedroom and bathroom, which would have helped. Once again, they fixed the problem quickly although there still was a minor lingering odor.
- Maid service pretty much only made beds, emptied garbage, and swept. Not much else, even when tipped. (No clean sheets or dishtowels after 8 nights! Washcloths disappeared after 2 nights.) But then again, for what we paid, it was no big deal.
- The sheets were very well worn. I am picky about this, so we simply brought our own sheets from home and put them over the existing sheets. It was perfect.
- Bar service wasn't great and if you ordered food there, be prepared for a long wait. We thought the food was fine, but not great. But we did like that they didn't bug us if we didn't want to eat or drink and just wanted to sit out there and do email.
- Lots of small things like the fact that the doorframe had been chipped away so you could turn your key, and the sharp edges cut us if we weren't careful; our upper door didn't lock; you couldn't open windows in the second bed/bathroom; our front "yard" was just dirt...

But when it came down to it, we felt lucky to have gotten such a great deal to stay there. Don't expect 5-star amenities and service at the price you paid. It wasn't perfect. But it was relaxing and very mellow. It was so easy to get there, get around, and just let go of everything else. And the resort and villas really are very nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank ellenmac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed June 15, 2012

As frequent visitors of Cabo San Lucas, my wife and I decided to branch out of our normal vacation and visited this resort the first week of June 2012. Please be aware that EVERY negative comment posted here and elsewhere is 100% true. Like many others, we bought through a deal website. We decided to give it a try, despite what we read ahead of time, but we sadly learned…YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! I won’t go into the many, many, negatives since most are already shown in prior posts but I do want to inform those considering this resort of a few big problems so you can make a more informed decision than we were able to. We were booked for six nights but checked out four days early and moved on to a beautiful resort in Cabo San Lucas for the remainder of our trip. Although it was a financial loss, we are so thankful we didn’t feel the need to endure the full six days at the Cerritos Surf Colony and our time in Cabo was warm and wonderful as usual.

1) This resort is on the Pacific Ocean and on arrival we were informed by the staff that it is usually ten + degrees cooler than Cabo San Lucas, which is on the Sea of Cortez. It was also very windy. Despite the sunny skies, sitting comfortably outside without a coat at any time of day was impossible. Don’t let the pictures of poolside lounging beds and deck chairs fool you. They are mostly unused. Like us, none of the other guests were prepared for this. A common sight was shivering quests dressed in summer wear and holding onto their hats as they walked. If you are from the Pacific Northwest as we are, think of an Oregon or Washington day at the beach.
2) The resort quality is that of a Motel Six or worse. If that is what you are interested in experiencing on your vacation, than this is the place for you. We spoke with several unhappy guests and the only content one was used to staying in hostels and he felt that this was a step up for him!
3) There is ZERO privacy. Everyone’s deck is open to the neighbor’s deck and people are constantly walking back and forth. Also, there appears to be no security and the beach side of the resort is completely open to whoever chooses to enter. Each night we were there, at least two of the lovely poolside lounging beds were used by beach bums/surfers that wandered up after dark with their bedding and left prior to getting caught in the morning.
4) I could go on and on…buyer beware!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Paul B

Travelers are raving about these El Pescadero hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We went out of our comfort zone and I'm so glad we did. I found this place on a group discount coupon website and decided for the price it couldn't be that much of a waste- if I didn't like it we would just go somewhere else when we go there- that didn't happen.

We flew into SJD and set up a rental car with Antonio at the Cactus car rental (I read reviews about his service and its all true). After getting the rental we set out on HWY 1 toward Cabo, stopped at Walmart (you'll see the SAMS sign first so turn in there) based on others instructions that we would want to stock the fridge with our own supplies and Walmart has more of a selection than the smaller stores around the Todos Santos area. So SUV, check, walmart for beer and snacks, check... now to drive this crazy road I've been reading about

The HWY 19 is a 4 lane highway, new, freshly paved highway. I could probably drive it in my sleep. There is nothing along the way- well nothing we stopped at anyway but it is a straight shot from Cabo to Cerritos Surf Colony- 1hour 15min doing the speed limit. Now I will say driving from the airport to Cabo was scary- they have speed humps that aren't painted and you don't know you are getting close until its too late... just look out for that. HWY 19 was easy... really easy, and safe. Be smart, get there in the morning or afternoon, make all of your stops, get gas and food and water and hit the road to Cerritos- don't try to do it at night because I cant imagine there are lights along the way. At KM 67 you will see the orange flags and a large stucco arch- the arch belongs to the resort down from the surf colony but it is a good landmark to look for, once you see the arch get ready to turn left into the surf colony road- its a bit of a steep incline so go slow coming off the road onto the dirt road.

The hotel: this is not the Westin, its not a big resort with lots of over priced services and extra staff standing around to wait on you and a 5star spa. There is no tv, you dont get to pick your pillow type and there is no robe and hair dryer in the bathroom. If you need all of the extras then you might not be happy here. I like the extras, I like having the security of feeling like I'm at home but I wanted to try something new for this trip.
My first thought was- ok this looks like the pictures so far so good. We parked and walked around to the office, they were prepared for us because I called to confirm once again the morning of our flight. Julian escorted us to our villa (No. 2) ocean front, 2b 2b villa for 4 days. Again walking into the villa I thought- ok this looks like the pictures. The villa is beautiful and looks just like the pictures show. No. 2 was fully stocked with plates, and silverware, a coffee maker, blender, microwave, cookware, a full size refrigerator, every villa has its own gas water heater and there was plenty of room to spread out. I've attached detailed pictures of our villa. There is no heat or air so bring a jacket or sweatshirt if you get cold at night- I do and I read reviews and still didn't listen so, I used the extra blanket in the closet and just snuggled more than usual. The 2bedroom villa is amazing, we could close the patio door and still hear the waves crashing- this made for excellent sleep. There were two villas under construction right behind our villa and I never heard so much as a hammer swing. The entire place was just peaceful and quiet. The villa was so clean I was impressed! I am a sheet snob and I was fine with the bedding in the villa, again if you get cold bring heavy clothes for evening and sleeping because I'm not sure of the blanket situation there. There is no hairdryer, and there are towels for 4 people, if you need more just ask. The housekeeping comes daily but we asked not to have service, one day we didn't catch them and they serviced our villa- everything clean except they didn't replace the towels they took... no big deal. Make friends with Julian and the staff when you check in- be nice and they will be nice to you.
The food:
The bar area is also the restaurant. It closes at 8 but if there are people there the staff will stay and serve them. We had dinner here our first night just because we wanted to get settled. The food was great! The beer was cold and the cocktails were good. They serve very large portions. The cook is right behind the bar so if you go around to the side you can watch your food being prepared. I never saw this so called trash dumping hole with flies and other nasty stuff. Could they be a little more on top of the service, yes but this is a beach town and I don't think anyone is in a hurry to do anything so don't wait until you're starved or really thirsty just go to the bar and order food... if you sit at a table, you might have to get up and request things a few times again no big deal. If it were a 5star place I wouldn't tolerate it but its pretty great for not such a high price. The breakfast is really good, coffee is served at the bar, make your own if you don't want to wait or don't trust the staff to make good coffee.
The Pool:
How amazing is this pool area! I love it... I love to swim and lay out and read and just relax, and I really like being able to do so without being disturbed. The staff doesn't bother you here... if you need something, flag them down or get up and go to the bar otherwise just relax. We alternated between bringing out a few of our own beers (not offered at the bar) and ordering from the bar... both were great options. The water is warm and very clean, the pool is huge and there are 2 hot tubs with heater and bubbles controls on the tree beside the hot tub... its not hard to see and if you mention it to the staff they will turn it on for you. Again this place is not a huge resort so that helps with the "I'm the only person here" vibe... I loved feeling like I had my own little piece of paradise.
The Spa:
Is it a 5star spa, no but it is very good service and half the price of what I have spent at other places and honestly the same quality service. I had 2 ocean front massages and a manicure/pedicure. You never know until you try so just do it and you wont be sad you did.
Venturing out:
You have to have a car if you are coming here- there is no way around that. Pescadero is less than 5min up the road and Todos Santos is maybe 15min, both are great and both have a lot to offer. Again, be smart, don't try to venture out your first time at night. Go a few times and then when you have a feel for it you will be in a better position to navigate after sunset. I never felt unsafe or like a tourist for that matter. Ask Julian for places to try and read reviews.... you cant miss checking out all of Baja if you can pull yourself away from the pool at the Surf Colony.

Overall this was a great trip. I'm so glad I went outside my comfort zone and found this place. We liked it so much we have already purchased a 10day stay.... we cant wait to take our friends and family back with us!

Room Tip: Call the resort for booking and request ocean front, make sure you clarify that you want an ocean fr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
34 Thank hms4uk
plain city
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I with 2 close friends spent 9 days here. i won't deny there are areas they can improve upon. I'll list them. I've read many of the reviews, and some of the complaints are ligit, but the overall experience for us, was excellent.
Positives 1st: It is away from the noise and crowds of Cabo. There is a brand new highway out to the resort. It is just about 1 hour drive from Cabo. Some of the reviews say its far longer, and the road is treacherous, etc. Not true. There is some road construction. Show me a road in the states with no construction. Many people don't realize you fly into the town of San Jose del Cabo. Not Cabo San Lucas. If you go all the way through San Jose, and then Cabo, it takes more than an hour. YOu're on vacation. Enjoy the scene. I think the busiest we saw the beach was maybe 75 people looking North and South. I liked less crowded. The staff was friendly, and mostly helpful.In particular Matt, Gregorio, and a couple of others whose names I don't remember. (I'll cover the issues later). The pools were nice, and clean. We had access to the pools, etc at La Hacienda hotel about 1/4 mile north up the beach. Gregorio is a bartender there. (Tell him the big Spanish speaking Gringo sent you.) The food at the Bar/Grill was good. Plenty of space for 4 adults in the villa (2 bed). Kitchen was adequate. Not great, but serviceable. Cleaning staff was willing to do what was asked. They don't change your sheets, and towels everyday, but will if requested. (I don't change my sheets daily at home. Do you?) The construction that was on going, took place directly behind the unit we were in. They started about 8:30 in the morning, and were done around 6 in the evening. It wasn't extremely loud, as the mix cement by hand, with a shovel. Not a lot of machinery noise. Some hammering, and sawing. We slept through most of the early noise. Felipe's restaurant in Pescadero is a must!!! He doesn't speak a ton of English, but had the best food we found anywhere. Go north on the highway. about a mile up the road you run into Pescadero, keep going to the far end of town. 1/2 mile or so, on th west side of the street. Closed on Wednesdays. Great food. I enjoyed some of everything, and my wife really enjoyed the red sauce enchiladas. He even gave me the recipe for the sauce. ( I speak Spanish). Our friends weren't fans of Mexican food, until we went there. Taqueria el Pastorcito in Todos Santos was another crowd pleaser. Go into Todos Santos, go to the stop light, (there's only 1) turn right. Top of the hill, on the right hand side. Excellent tacos al pastor, or carne asada. Salsa bar is to die for. There is a grocery store in Todos Santos, also a produce market. Tortilleria, if you want to try real Mexico. Ask Matt at Cerritos, he can guide you. The blanket factory just south of the turn off for Cerritos will give you a good price, with a bit of negotiation, for quality goods. We loved the stay.We found crabs running on the beach, fish in the water, and plenty of desert birds. Hawks, vultures, and etc. Remember people, it is a desert. Not going to be a ton of jungle flowers, and fauna. Greeat beaches, good surf. Plenty of English speakers for those who don't speak Spanish. Good food reasonable prices outside of the resort. It's a good idea to convert some dollars to pesos, and negotiate all souvenirs. Offer about 60% of their asking price, and see where it goes. Don't be afraid to walk away, and come back after trying several different places prices til you figure out the best price. Negotiate in dollars, pay in pesos, but know th current exchange rate. Most businesses will do an exchange at 1 peso lower than the going rate. Their benefit, costs you pennies.
The Issues: We had some trouble with hot water in the shower. Played with the knob, and finally figured it out. Not devastating. The in-line heaters that they use aren't the best, so if you're taking long showers after a few minutes it goes cool, then recharges to hot. You do have septic tank stinks. I found running the water through the traps for a couple of minutes kept that to a bare minimum. The bar/grill did run out of some food items, and they are pretty expensive. We only ate there 2 times for that reason, but Pescadero is only a few minutes down the road, with some excellent choices. ( I wasn't a huge fan of Marlin, as directed by the Cerritos staff. More American Mexican food, in my opinion.I like the real thing.) They do have a tendency to run out of Beach towels. Stop at the bar by 9ish, in the morning, and get your towels for the day. We figured that out by the 2nd day.

Room Tip: Great trip overall. If we can find a similar deal, we'll be back with the kids.We didn't use...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
21 Thank bill b
California City, California
Reviewed June 9, 2012

its amazing
I think it's one of the best services and recieved in Mexico, is a very special place because it has a pool, a restaurant with very excellent food and a bar with some very good margaritas. the hotel staff is very attentive to guests and are available to any request, such as Julian gym coach yuyitsu, matt and Duglas are very attentive and helpful, the bar is run by a young couple very helpful and sympathetic, they prepare very good drinks and serve us even till the other side of the pool when we are on the beds leading us orders food and drink. if I think a little more nesesita towels because sometimes they have, also the food that sometimes do not have any dish, the chef is very attentive and very helpful, when I bring my own fishing fish to the cook what was magnificent as it is very good cook. I hope to return soon as I Encano the area in which the surf colony is located.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank jhon Q O
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I went back and forth between giving this place 2 or 3 star rating, but settled on a two, because the negatives in the final estimation outweighed the positives. Like most other reviewers, we ended up here due to the Groupon deal, our stay being part of our honeymoon. With the discounted price, neither of us expected perfection, but the place fell below what I think were reasonable expectations.

The good-
-Fantastic location, away from the craziness of Cabo, right on the beach. Make sure to rent a car though, because that will give you access to the great little town of Todos Santos and the ability to explore the rest of Baja California Sur.
-The pool and bar area were actually pretty nice. The pool is huge and never felt crowded. -The beds by the pool were super comfortable and great for relaxed lounging.
-Beautiful sunsets every night and great waves if you're into surfing or boogie boarding. Beach was never crowded, felt almost semi-private.

The mixed-
The staff varied from friendly and helpful, to distracted and uninterested. Got a few great tips on things to do locally, but our issues (coming up) were mostly unresolved. Bar staff was often overwhelmed or distracted.

The bad-
-Stained sheets are unacceptable, period. If you're aiming for a luxury retreat, your sheets shouldn't look like the belong in a fleabag motel. Mattress sucked too.
-We both got decimated by mosquitoes on the first night sleeping. The roof is not flush against the structures (some kind of bamboo leaf material for that ever important mayan vibe...or something) and mosquitos fly in freely. The staff had no solution. Unreal. Had to go to sleep slathered in deet for the remainder of our stay. This is during our honeymoon. Not good times.
-Most of the finished Villas are right up against the beach and the lack of sound proofing is a real issue. In fact, it's actually louder inside the villas than outside. If you're in any way a light sleeper you will have issues. I had earplugs and still barely got any sleep my first two nights. When I asked to move away from the first row of villas, they had no options available. I was told I'd get used to it (which I kind of did, after losing two nights of sleep).
- There is a general feel that the place is unfinished and not fully thought out. Now part of that was expected with the construction and the discount....but the toilet failing twice was pretty annoying. The lack of a shelf in the shower was just sloppy. The 8 am construction noise was ill considered. It just felt that things were not thought through all the way.
- The bar really is overpriced. We ate there maybe twice in our entire stay. You're better off eating in Todos Santos or Pescadero, but that means driving every time.

So there it is. The place could be something special, but the management needs to raise their game big time. I would not recommend anyone paying full price for staying here. Groupon price, only if you're prepared to deal with some serious unpleasantness for the sake of a great location.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, try to get a room away from the first row which faces the beach. You'...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank roma258
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Like many of the reviews, I would have to agree that the location is very nice. The villas are spacious, but note that there are no TVs, radios or clocks. Plan ahead and perhaps download a movie or two onto your computer. It will keep your teenager from being bored out of their minds! We had booked 6 days but only stayed 4. We spent the last 2 days in Cabo San Lucas where there is much more to do. Todos Santos is lovely, food is great, but be prepared to ward off all of the locals wanting to sell you something. You just have to get used to that.

Many of the comments left on here are true, but for the price (with a groupon deal), it's hard to complain. Indeed, I would never have paid full price. If you are looking for a place for total rest and relaxation, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a place where there is great food and lots of activities, you should probably go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cerritos Beach Inn
Cerritos Beach Inn
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero
Cerritos Beach Hotel Desert Moon

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!