“You'll be disappointed”
Review of Cerritos Surf Town

Cerritos Surf Town
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Don’t do it – no matter how good a “deal” you think you are getting on this place, you will be disappointed. This is a beautiful resort with great potential. However, the owners are not doing anything to help it reach that potential. I have to believe all the 5 star reports on this place are written by the employees because when we were there all the guests were complaining.

We arrived on a Friday after traveling all day and the long drive in from Cabo (roads are still very much under construction and a bit treacherous – DON’T attempt to drive in at night). We went to the bar and I was looking for a nice, cool gin and tonic only to be told they were out of gin. What?? What bar runs out of gin – and on a Friday? This was just the first glimpse of what was to come.

Because there is so much road construction and no street lighting, we decided to eat dinner at the hotel. However, the items we wanted weren’t available….”sorry we are out of snapper, and mahi mahi.” By Saturday afternoon it was even worse, they were out of chicken, shrimp, ham, white wine and yes, they even ran out of diet coke! The only option was a rib eye which was a plate of inedible fat. When I said I couldn’t eat it and asked what else was available, I was told the kitchen was closed. Now that is just unacceptable! There is no other place to eat closer than a 20 minute drive in the pitch dark on roads under construction. They said they could make me beef tacos, which were literally fried up beef, with no seasoning, put into a greasy fried tortilla.

I had asked prior to arriving if we needed to schedule our spa services and were told we should do it when we checked in. But when we arrived we were told that at the last minute the person who provides the services wasn’t available over the weekend. So we booked for Monday (we were only there four days so this was our only option). Unfortunately, we were told on Monday morning that no one was available then either. As a way to compensate we were offered 1) surf lessons (this was included in our package already so not a reimbursement, 2) horseback riding, or 3) $120 credit at the bar/restaurant. You mean the bar/restaurant that is out of almost all food and drink?? Yep, that one.

We were in villa17, which is quite lovely. Don't think you can cook in the kitchen however, there are utensils but no pots and pans. And you'll need to ask for additional towels - you are given one bath towel, one wash cloth and one hand towel. Also, bring warm clothes as it gets cold at night, even at the end of April.

Overall, a huge disappointment and rip-off. I really hate when resorts mislead people. You can find a much nicer, well-stocked resort closer to Cabo for a similar price.

Room Tip: 1. Bring protein shakes or something to eat that doesn't need to be cooked 2. Purchase your own...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Travel_Bug_St_Paul
Mindy G, Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Thank you for staying with us at Cerritos Surf Colony and for taking the time to post your comments. We are always striving to make our resort a better place for our guests, and I am sorry that your time with us was not what you had hoped for. I assure you that our employees have never "faked" a review and that we do have many happy guests. I am very sorry that our restaurant was out of the items that you wanted, we try our best for these things not to happen but in our remote location, when running out of things we can't always quickly replenish ourselves. Our chef typically gets rave reviews on his delicious specialties. The drive to our resort will be much better any day now actually, with construction on the highway almost complete it will make it much easier and quicker for our guests to get to us. Next time you stay with us, make sure to ask the office staff if your villa might be missing something you need for cooking, we are happy to replinish those sorts of things, and are doing our best to make sure all villas are fully equipped upon arrival of our guests. If you have any concerns that I did not address or further questions please feel free to email me via email directly at contact@cerritossurfcolony.com. Thank you again for taking the time to review and let us know about your stay!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We spent 11 glorious days at the Cerritos Surf Colony this April! Not quite sure what to expect as we made the hour plus drive from Cabo San Jose on the treachorous roads...but once we found the property...we were more than pleasantly surprised!!! Stunningly beautiful in a tranquil setting, the warmth and professionalism of the staff working this resort made our stay blissful from start to finish! Greeted by Andrea...she made sure she found a room to fit our needs...and daily ran the operation with the utmost skill and commitment to keep all the guests happy. Matt, too, was a daily dose of sunshine...always helpful and thoughtful!! Too many phenomenal folks to mention by name, but Julian lent us his sunblock when we ran out and taught us some helpful Spansih for our day trips into Cabo and Todas Santos...Diego was a young man with a big smile who was a new member of the waitstaff and just shined with his enthusiasm and energy. Perhaps our biggest praise is reserved for "Blanca" who was well loved by every guest and staff member at the Surf Colony;) We will definately be back!!!

Room Tip: I was not very impressed with the studio...too small for a family of three. The two bedroom huts are...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is a great resort! Let me tell you about our trip. We arrived at San Liucas de Cabo and we got a hotel transfer through cabo tours website for $65 US. There was a traditional mexican that drove us. It took an hour from the airport to Cerritos Surf colony. We arrived there and we checked in and the mexican driver still hung around. I said 'thank you, you can leave now' and he swore and walked off. I was confused why he swore and walked off. He later returned (10 min) and he spoke to the manager and asked for a tip. The manager came to our room and asked for a tip for the driver. I was confused. "Are we in America' do we tip in Mexico? The manager said yes we usually do? So i walked to the driver at the managers office and gave him $20US. He seemed happy and said thank you and drove off?????? The room was nice and big and they clean it for you every day. There is no smoke detectors or shower fans so you have to be cauticious that when you shower that when you exit the shower that you dont slip on the tiles. They are wet because of the steam of the shower. You have to leave the hot water running for a few minutes before you jump in. It takes a few minutes to kick in. There is a kitchenette in each room which makes it cheaper and easier to cook your own food. We arrived and got a transfer which I regret... GET A CAR>. Where you are staying is far from the airport and activities and CABO.....you need a car to get to the nearest town for shopping and food and to to get back to the airport. We didn't get a car and didn't think we needed one. So we got a transfer. A few days into our holiday we wanted to do other activities like visit 'lovers beach' m snorklel, fish and take a ride on the ATV buggies but we needed transport and trust me Taxis are so expensive. I took one to Cabo from Cerritos and the hotel qouted me $120. It would have been cheaper getting a car for $40 a day. The road works are scary but you will feel comfortable after a few days. The first day you arrive in Mexico you do feel scared, concerned and worried what to expect. But this part of the island is safe and comfortable. :) The rooms are nice and private. If you don't mind travelling an hour from the airport stay here it is nice, friendly, beautiful the scenary is amazing, It is safe, the managers speak english and your photos will look like postcards but the downfall is the distance. THe local town is ten minutes away and seems safe. There are many American's wondering around so you dont stick out too much like a tourist. RENT A CAR! I cant say this enough. Unless you want to stay at the hotel and then pay up to $120 for a taxi to and from the airport. Bring your own food its cheaper. THere are heaps of supermarkets near cabo. It does get cool at night in April and the Pacific side of the ocean which this hotel faces is predicted to be windy all year round. Bring a jacket/jumper (Warm clothes for night) The day time is comfortable considering that you are in the sun as the shade also gets cold. There are no T.V's so you have to bring or create your own entertainment. If you want to stay close to town and close to traditional Mexico this is the place to be. If you want to stay near other American's where the ATM machines spit out American money then stay in Cabo near Plaza Bonita, there are many tourist hanging out there. We loved this hotel and we will be back. Their was a staff member named Andrea that was really friendly and helpful when we needed her. Good resort to take a break from your hectic lifestyle very relaxing and enjoyable beautiful scenes to die for.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the office it has wireliess internet. We stayed in Villa #11. This was the second...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Kbubz
Mindy G, Front Office Manager at Cerritos Surf Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Thank you for your kind words, and for taking the time to write a review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and are sorry that you had a hard time with the cab driver, typically we don't highly suggest you go that route as rental cars are the best way to get around our area for sure! Our area is very safe, and driving a rental car in the area is something most of our guests do. The beach offers some amazing relaxation and we hope you were able to relieve some stress during your stay. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We just got back from our 3rd stay at Cerritos Surf Colony and it just keeps getting better and better!! First off, we initially stumbled across the property a little over 2 years quite by accident and the concerns that I have recently read about the road construction are totally overblown (you should have travelled the hiway 2 years ago!!!). With the G20 meetings taking place in June in downtown Cabo, the official completion date for the road construction is by the end of April and I would have to say that they should be close ... with the road definitely being 100% complete by May for certain at their current pace.

As far as the Surf Colony itself is concerned, since our last stay the pool heaters are in and the hot tubs are HOT with the pool itself being GORGEOUSLY warm. There is plenty of hot water in the units and we found the hot water supply to be 100% consistent and not spotty as we had read some other guests were experiencing. Also, we had no power outages at all during our 2 week stay and even though the Wi-Fi is only available around the pool, it is now in place and we used it daily for a few minutes each morning. Just ask at the office for the password and it's free for your use.

The 2 bedroom unit that we were in this time had new sheets and blankets on both of the beds since our last stay, and in talking to some other guests it appears that new bedding has been provided for all of the units to address some of the concerns over the cool nights. And speaking of units, construction is still happening and we were very surprised by how many more units were up and completed since our last stay! With that being said however, we were not bothered whatsoever by the ongoing construction.

Being that this is our third stay now, we have gotten the Mega/Costco/Wal-Mart/Sam's Club stop (whatever your preference) almost down to a science as far as picking up groceries on the way through either San Jose or Cabo and when we arrived into our unit we were treated to a much better stocked kitchen than we had in the past with more cutlery, dishes and utensils. It really appears that the management is doing their very best to be attentive to the suggestions and comments being made to them and are constantly aiming to improve on every aspect of this resort to the very best of their abilities. In that vein, it also appears that Giovani has gotten some help with Andrea having just started to help run the day to day activities of the resort and help make bookings, check-in's and ensure that the overall guest stays are more smooth.

All in all, I think it speaks to the fact of just how much we love this place in the fact that this is already our 3rd stay at the Cerritos Surf Colony over the past 2 years and my wife and I are already looking to book our upcoming Christmas vacation there! It's an absolutely incredible little 'hidden gem' that I don't believe will stay hidden for long.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank johnbrunelle
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My beachfront room near the pool was perfect for my 6 night stay at Cerritos. I rented a car and drove to the resort. The road construction does extend the time it takes to get there from Cabos, but it was not bad. I went to Todos Santos my first day there and bought fresh fish, shrimp and produce at the shops in town and general foodstuffs at the mercados. I never had to purchase a meal at Cerritos restaurant because the kitchenette was stocked well and preparing meals that i could eat right outside on my patio was a plus for me. The room I had was very nicel, though cold at night (an extra blanket was supplied upon request). The pool in March was pleasantly warm for the most part, and the hottubs were always warm. The pool, btw, is beautiful with a perfect depth and areas for youngsters to play that are quite shallow. The poolside bar is good for a couple beers at their daily happy hour, but just the beauty, peace and quiet of the beach right outside the room is enought to make me book my next trip there to enjoy the tranquility again. No TV, so bring a book or your e-reader and relax.

One thing to beware of, esp if you are a boomer like myself, is the tile floor in the bathroom. Keep a towel on the floor at all times so that your wet shoes or feet don't hit the floor in the wrong way and send you slipping and of course be aware of any water on the floor from the shower. The tile is very slippery.
I did mention this to management so by now they may have put mats on the floor.

Room Tip: Of course try to get a bungalow on the beach. I enjoyed being near the pool also, but the beach is...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank boomerview_12
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We got a great deal through a deal website, and cant wait to go back...Yes, it is a bit rustic (its not an all inclusive beach resort type place),and If you're looking for Trump Towers, you're better off staying in Cabo, however, I dont see how people could complain about this amazing gem...

The management is always there but stays out of the way and lets you enjoy the natural beauty and gorgeousness of diamond sparking water and quiet sunny days. HELLO? What can you complain about? We had a private beach 30 yards from our front door, and its so laid back its like having your own personal staff, on your own personal beach, and your own personal once in a lifetime sunset.

The place has some really great features, A large fridge,attentive staff, stovetop for cooking,amazing pool and hot jacuzzis. They have giant comfortable outdoor beds and you are far enough off the grid that you wont be harassed for timeshares or to purchase woven bracelets and pottery etc.

If you want a more city feel with shopping,nightlife,sunset cruises, etc... you can do what we did 6 nights in cerritos and 4 days in Cabo (we did snorkeling,whale watching, dined in the marina,shopping etc.)

As far as the temp we were there beginning of march it was hot and breezy all day but at night did get chilly, they provided extra blankets, not the newest things but kept us warm and fresh towels every day, free hot coffee in the mornings, and Great beach towels! I understand there are a few tweaks to be made- Internet was working the first 4 days, but did go out the last two. The food we had there was great and less expensive than other places in the area and there arent that many guests around so you get fresh food and attentive service. I can not WAIT to bring a group of friends back to Cerritos!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the Beach, and near the office. one bedrooms 10,11,12 were able to get internet in...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Readysetgogp
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I loved the beach and the restaurant has the best food at a great price. It's super close to Todos Santos, with awesome restaurants as well. You have to go to Miguel's. The staff is super friendly, and helped us with concerns we had right away. The only reason I have this a Very Good instead of Excellent was because the hot water is a little touchy. You have to have the shower handle in the exact right position to get hot water, and you have to wait a bit for it. It took us a couple of cold showers to get it right. But, it is so beautiful there, and there are tons of things to do. You can even use the pool at the fancy boutique hotel up on the cliff (walking distance). Also, it is a 40 minute drive from Cabo only when the road is not under construction, which it is, so be prepared for some dirt and slowness. But, it's worth it when you get there, and you definitely have to do the whale watching and fishing with Iguana de los Mangos. They can help you get set up at Cerritos. They have a full-service activities director. Make sure you check Travelzoo and travel coupon sites because they are offering super cheap deals for this hotel. To be honest, I would probably not pay full price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
#2 of 8 in Todos Santos
Hacienda Todos Los Santos
Hacienda Todos Los Santos
#6 of 8 in Todos Santos

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!