“Idyllic spot”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Milwaukee, WI
“Idyllic spot”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed two nights in early June. The weather was cool and breezy, not what we'd hoped for, but Rancho Pescadero was perfect. Our room was lovely and comfortable, with a beautiful balcony (actually on two levels) where we drank wine and next day ate breakfast overlooking the Pacific. We had a wonderful dinner at the bar at their garden restaurant. The pool looked terrific, but cool weather kept us out. Instead we "suffered" with delicious mango margaritas in a spacious hot tub, and absolutely magnificent Cafes Mexicanos by the fire pit.

We'd stay there in a New York Minute if we were ever in the area again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Lopez Island, Washington
Reviewed June 6, 2013

First, lets start out with what this is not... This is not Cabo, this is not a party place, this is not where you go to get hammered and dance until dawn. Ok, now that we have that out of the way, lets move on to what it is...

This is the stuff that dreams are made of. Quiet understated perfection. This is the kind of place you would not be surprised to see (pick your favorite red carpet star) lounging by the pool. This is as close to perfection as any resort that I have ever stayed at.

The rooms are beautiful. Understated old world Mexico with a modern flare, comfortable beds, HUGE showers, just great. But the real experience is the resort itself. On the way there you know you are getting close to getting there when you are sure you are lost. A mile down a dirt road, this resort is the only thing for miles. With only 20 something rooms a busy day at the pool is a few people.

The food was great. We had dinner delivered to us on the beach one night. When we got out there they had a white table cloth service set up and we ate dinner to the sounds of the waves crashing on the beach and the sun setting. A must do during any stay. Every morning, a basket with a fruit plate some spanish pastries and fresh squeezed juice of some kind were sitting outside the door of the room. Such a great way to start a day. Friday and Saturday were dining in the garden... do it, way worth it.

Private nooks, cabanas and pallapas, are everywhere, so it is truly easy to find a corner that is all your own. The beach is beautiful, big rolling sand. Huge waves so dont plan on swimming. Not great for surfing either as it is all pretty much shore break... But beautiful none the less. Try surf fishing, they have the poles and will cook anything you catch. While we were there there was live music a few of the nights out by the pool and bar. 4 people beside our group were there... it was like a private concert.

20 minutes to Todo Santos and about 45 to Cabo, but truly if you are staying for less then a week... just stay there.

The service is legendary. Everyone knows who you are, the bar tenders are some of the best I have ever seen anywhere and no fruity premixes. An early morning stroll will find people pealing mangos, boiling tamarind and juicing limes. This is the real deal. Everything was good.

If you are looking for a romantic getaway, this should be on the top of the list. This is living like a rockstar and it is great.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors have great balconies that are open air. The cheeper rooms on the bottom floo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LopezRiddell
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2013

OMG. No big front desk. No uniformed staff, just pure relaxation. Located in Todos Santos, a 30 minute drive from Cabo, this little piece of heaven is located on the beach. After a 9 hour sleep (first 9 hour sleep in my life) breakfast arrived at my door! Design is modern eclectic Mexican - very well done. Food is fabulous, tonight dinner on the beach with my family next to our own firepit! No reason to leave this property but town is 5 minutes away if you want to explore how Mexico used to be. Very lovely chill place to recharge. My schedule today is yoga at 10 (included), cerverza at noon on the beach, lunch & margaritas poolside at 2, nap til 4, facial at 5, dinner at 8, more margaritas til whenever! Tomorrow - repeat! Need something? No problem here - staff are so lovely and are simply are out to make our stay perfect.

Room Tip: ask for a room like #8. lovely large decks, lower level (though upstairs you have ocean view), large...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was at Rancho Pescadero for two quick nights while in town for business and I had an amazing experience. I wish I had been there for longer in order to enjoy all that the resort and area has to offer, but I still feel like I got a good feeling for how this place would be for a vacation. The best word to explain Rancho Pescadero is "chill". It is the place to go if you just want to unwind and forget all your troubles. The service is amazing, seemed like after just a few hours everyone working there knew my name and would greet me accordingly. The drinks at the bar are delicious and fresh made with local spirits and fruits. The private beach area is perfect, with cabanas and firepits, just perfect.

The restaurant was amazing as well - local food, outdoor setting, live music playing - I ate there both nights and it was perfect. The menu changes daily based on what they get fresh that day.

I can't wait to try and get back here for a vacation with my wife. I would highly recommend it for a romantic getaway or for a group of couples looking to getaway for an active yet relaxing trip.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are located in a house that was originally built on the grounds. These rooms are a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Venice, CA
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at Rancho Pescadero. We went down for a short honeymoon and couldn't have been more impressed with our experience. They took us straight to the bar when we walked in and we were instantly won over. The service is amazing. Daniel's drinks kept us wanting more...The food is excellent. The beach is quiet and peaceful. The other guests were lovely and we found ourselves making new friends every night we were there. We only managed to go to Todos Santos for one afternoon because everything we needed and wanted was right at Rancho.

Room Tip: WE had a lower ocean front room and was great to fall asleep to sound of waves but I would go for up...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nclaudat
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Rancho Pescadero is located on a gorgeous stretch of beach and is an incredible place to unwind and relax. We walked for over a mile along the beach an saw no one...it was fabulous. The staff is very friendly and all quite fluent in English. The restaurant was very fresh and delicious ( although a bit on the expensive side for Mexico), however Todos Santos is close by and has lots of great places to eat as well. Note to surfers: this area does not handle South Swells well at all, unlike lower on the Cape near Cabo/San Jose/East Cape. We were very disappointed that we weren't told about this when we asked about the area in terms of coming to surf as our main activity. The yoga however was really good, and I appreciated that there were bikes, long boards, sunscreen etc for guests to use free of charge. I loved that there wasn't a constant attempt to upsell or push touristy activities - there's class here. I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We had the less expensive Mountain Room which was fine, but if you can afford it, definitely opt for...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Victoria M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 19, 2013

It may be just me, but looking at the site is actually pretty hard to figure out that it's for 18+ only.
If you add to this that they have a non-refundable policy, I bet I'm not the only one who ended up paying $800 for two nights, and couldn't even step into the property.
Just be aware.
Otherwise it's likely a great place.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Marco P
Lisa H, Owner at Rancho Pescadero, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
I have researched your reservation. It appears that you used a travel agent to book through a third party. I have reviewed our third party listings and all of them indicate that we are an adults only resort as does our website and any communication that we send regarding your reservation. I am so sorry that this was missed by your travel agent and regret that this caused you frustration. We are not paid by the third party until after your stay and as your reservation was canceled, we never received payment from them for your booking. We have made no claim for your payment and our only cancellation charge for any reservation is $25 which we would not charge in this case. I am also concerned that you indicate that you were paying $800 for two nights, which is substantially more than the rate for the room that was booked. Again, I am sorry that you were frustrated, but we are scrupulous about our relationship with our guests and would never fail to refund your money in this case - if we had ever received the funds. I suggest that you have your travel agent contact the third party that was used for the reservation. We will do all that we can to help you get the refund from them and have already contacted them to request this. For others reading this response, I would encourage you to book directly through our website to avoid this situation. We are re-evaluating our use of third party booking websites to avoid this situation in the future. Our goal is for our guests to have the most relaxing vacation ever, from start to finish.
Also consider these accommodations in or near El Pescadero
#5 of 8 in Todos Santos
Hotel California
Hotel California
#2 of 8 in Todos Santos

Been to Rancho Pescadero? Share your experiences!