“A rare find”

The Fat Goose
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Fat Goose gives you a country restaurant and bar,situated in the rural village of Tendring we can offer a relaxed country escape just off the A120, about 15 minutes drive from Colchester, Harwich, or the Coastal towns of Finton and Clacton. We are delighted to announce that we have retained our AA rosette for culinary excellence for the eighth consecutive year. The restaurant serves classic dishes with a modern twist and reflects the seasonal availability. The menu is enhanced with frequently changing specials and everything is prepared on site using fresh local produce. Try our "Lunch with Chef", this menu gives no choice but superb value and offers you the chance to try innovative dishes at a very realistic price We pride ourselves in serving food of the highest standard in a relaxed and unpretentious style. Coffees, teas and snacks are also available plus an enticing selection of unique and unusual gifts. Our onsite florist will also take orders plus of course we offer a varied display of planters and fresh flowers. We are a family owned and operated restaurant and welcome well behaved children and offer baby changing facilities, highchairs and booster seats. The children's menu offers dishes prepared to the same high standards using totally natural ingredients. We have a garden and terrace for the warmer weather where you can dine alfresco and during the cooler months the restaurant offers a cosy warm, candle lit ambiance We look forward to welcoming you to The Fat Goose at Tendring
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Yesterday my son took my wife and myself to lunch at the Fat Goose, it was booked on recommendation.
I can happily report that it is the finest meal that I have had in East Anglia, a varied and comprehensive menu, excellent fresh local food cooked to perfection with superb service. To top it up the cost was extremely resonable and my son confessed that he was very surprised at its value.
A must for foodies
James UK

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We went here for a family meal for my mum's 60th birthday. The food was excellent. Lots of choices but we all went for Sunday roast. They were very accommodating of my son who has a dairy allergy which was great. The service was also very good. Overall really impressed and will be going back.

1  Thank MichasUK
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have been meaning to review this wonderful restaurant for some time. The food is the best for miles (and miles) but it’s the staff that makes the whole experience first class. Called on Friday as really fancied a Fat Goose roast today and although they were very busy they still managed to find a corner for us. What I find most exceptional, is no matter how busy they are you would never know it, we never need to look for attention, from being seated, to drinks, to ordering, gap between courses and the bill, all is well timed , neither rushed nor delayed. The excellent service compliments this chefs outstanding food brilliantly. Love it!

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Visited the fat goose for the first time last night on a rare night off from our toddlers. Great atmosphere, very country and cosy, wonderful food, my husband had ham hock and pork belly, I had the goats cheese crostini and the steak burger. All courses delicious. All also presented beautifully. Puds were lovely but not my favourite course of the night, but still very lovely. I'm sure the specials were wonderful but boards a little too far away to see (also felt we were staring at the customers next to us as they kept looking back at us!) although I'm 100% members of staff would have rattled them off for us I was more than happy to choose from the huge main menu (physically huge!) we felt very welcome in what would have the right to be a pretentious setting (which it was not, even one bit) wonderful food, wonderful service and looking forward to next time!

1  Thank Twinmum84
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Not having been here for a few years I was very pleasantly surprised at the food this restaurant was serving. My party were there for the set lunch and it was excellent, well presented, of good quality and of handsome proportions....( we like to feel that we have eaten when we go to a restaurant, and the 'Fat Goose' excelled in this )
The staff were extremely helpful and accommodating.....Great place, will certainly go again.

restaurantteam, Owner at The Fat Goose, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review your visit.
Like you, we believe that food should not only look good but taste good as well and we are confident that our set lunch and dinner menus offer superb value for money at only £12.50 for two courses and £15.00 for three.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit,and felt it represented good value
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit