“Picked the wrong night?”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #4 of 37 Restaurants in Rochford
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Apparently a better chef works at the weekends. We visited the Royal Oak on a Thursday and found the food mediocre. A poor selection of wine.

1  Thank Peter S

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We live in France, but our family is still here in UK, so we get over once or twice a year. There is now a strong contrast between eating possiblities in Brittany and those sewn into the British fabric by means of the British Pub, and it is to the favour of Britain. There is a gap revealed between the ordinary, repetitive, low-choice, menus of the everyday restaurants and the classy I-want-a-Michelin-star of Brittany.

But good menus, wide choice a-la-carte and 'proper' portions on the plate (not nouvelle cuisine) - are standard now in Pub Grub.

The Royal Oak was no exception. We were four and all had different choices. The service was fine (just a bit chatty) and prompt. The beer was excellent and the distaff side reported the wines by the glass to be ample and tasteful.

The ambiance of the restaurant is not as oldy-worldy as the orginal pub premises, clean and chintzy, but not really special. I like beams and roaring fires, old furniture etc. which many pubs do have.

I read others reviews before penning this one, and have to say we were obviously lucky, finding the staff and management on their best behaviour. It is usual, isn't it? That one person's experience is so often at variance with another's? I hope you have as good a meal with as good service as we had.

1  Thank SeptimusFry
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Have eaten here for years as we are local and the food is lovely. However went there for our anniversary last Monday night and after a lovely starter and main meal, we were asked by a very nice young waitress if we would like to see the dessert menu, to which we said yes, but give us 5 minutes. It was 9.20pm and I didn't realise but we were the only persons in the pub (I realise why now!!) Suddenly the music was turned up then completely off, after a very short time we heard the manageress say to the waitress out of sight, just behind serving area," get rid of them I want to go to bed" The waitress came over and could tell by my face that I had heard what was said and apologised. Not wanting to make a scene for the poor waitress we paid and left and went to a nearby pub to have dessert and coffee. We and many of our friends and relatives will not be going back to this pub. A shame but this pub will go bust soon if she is allowed to carry this on

3  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have been regular visitors here over the years, we always enjoy the food in all courses, this time my 15yr old twins had chosen to come here for their birthday dinner.
The service was slacking compared to normal we weren't even offered desert or coffee and the pub was cold with a door wide ooen so take a jumper.
All 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed dinner and do think it's good value for money for nice pub grub.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Food is always well cooked and plenty of it. We try other places to eat but always compare them to the Royal Oak and they never are nearly as good and usually far more expensive. The steak and kidney pudding is out of this world, full of meat and massive. The veggies are always well cooked too.
The staff are very friendly and cope well when busy, which more often it is. This speaks for itself. (I do say staff). The person who burnt their mouth on the mash? food is brought out hot and not luke warm as it has been in other places I have visited.
Good food and very good value.