“A lovely experience”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rochford
Towcester
“A lovely experience”
Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Cherry Tree while in the area on business and had a fabulous stay. The staff were all very friendly when I arrived and made me feel welcome. My room was spacious and spotlessly clean. Dinner was great - the scallop and pork belly starter was excellent. There was a good selection of wines and beers too. Several other diners near me asked for extra/different elements to their meals and the staff were happy to accommodate this. They were also very knowledgeable about the menu. Breakfast the next day was good, the coffee was excellent. I hope to go back soon.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I've only just discovered The Cherry Tree, but am thrilled to bits I have. It's got a great balance of having a rural location whilst being easily accesible from Rochford and other close by towns.Onto the important bit now... the food is superb. There's a wide selection of dishes to choose from (I heartily recommend the steak!), and as for dessert, well, it was one of the best creme brulees I've tasted. Service was good too, friendly faces and speedy delivery of food. My only mildly negative point, was that when things get busy with lots of customers (which they frequently do) the conservatory can be a little noisy. I'll definitely be heading back to The Cherry Tree and I recommend this as a venue for anyone looking for a fantastic lunch or evening meal. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Leigh, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I visited the Cherry Tree with 4 friends on a Thursday 22 March. I had the Ox Tail which was so succulent, tasty and well presented with lovely crispy croquette potatoes. My friends all enjoyed their various dinners too. We had not intended to have a dessert but were tempted and not at all disappointed with our choices. The waiter and waitress were both extremely friendly and attentive. The only downside is that the lighting in the conservatory is a little too bright, but that is a very minor point. All in all a lovely venue which I shall recommend to all my friends.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Verwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Just at the cherry tree now and really can't fault it. Stayed overnight last night in one of the rooms which are in a separate block set to the side / back of the hotel. The room is clean, modern etc and the duvet is lovely :-) silly things too make a difference - stayed at a hotel last week where bottled water was £3.95 in the room, so there it stayed, whereas here, the water in the room was FREE.

Had a steak last night and was served 24 mins after ordering, cooked to order obviously and absolutely lovely with some nice presentation too.

Breakfast again was lovely with thick bread ( again stayed elsewhere and get measly thin!) and nice bacon and eggs. (But please get some English butter in it has more taste ;-)

All the staff were polite and friendly. I would definitely stay again. I presume the teething issues raised in previous reviews are coming to an end now so give them a chance and try it for yourself or in this day and age it will be another disappearing landmark.

Final thing - if you sat nav to it this takes you to the end of stambridge rd in the town. You need to follow this road out to what looks more like the country (same road still) and you will find it there.

Enjoy :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BobUK999
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Last Wednesday I drove down from London to Brentwood to take my Mum out for lunch as it was her birthday. She suggested The Cherry Tree as she had previously been there over Christmas.
As I live in London I am spoilt for choice with regards to good food, but unfortunately, in Essex, I have had many average meals, most of them below average. So, my expectations were very low.
When we arrived in Rochford the sun was shining and I really felt that I was in the counrtyside. We entered to a warm welcome around 2.15. The waitress was very attentive through out the meal and knowledgeable about the locally sourced food.
I found the menu to be tantalising and had difficulty in choosing what to eat as so much appealed to me.
I ended up having sardines on toast (highly recommended), followed by Desperate Dan's cow pie (really deliscious and very tasty). Although I was sated, the food was so good that I had to have a creme brulee, followed by a double espresso. Both equally yummy.
The presentation was to a very high standard, something that you would see on the final of MasterChef. My only complaint was that the broccoli was not al dente enough for my liking.
I highly recommend a trip to The Cherry Tree to indulge in such quality food and I look forward to my next visit

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jake M
Shoeburyness, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2012

im sorry to say it was bad, i wanted a roast dinner and we had been been many times before and the roast on sunday was good. We was told no beef but belly of pork so that was what i ordered, it arrived as a clinical square of pork with a yorkshire pudding and three roast potatoes the pork was cold in the middle and tasted quite bland i could not eat the dinner as it was not up to standard. We explained to the waiter as he took our plates away he returned to say the chef said it was belly of pork and that was how it was but was sorry it was cold in the middle!! A lady then came over with four chocolate truffles as a sorry for the bad meal!! When i paid the bill we was charged full price for a meal which i had complained about and it was plain to anyone i had hardley touched it.So im sorry to say we wont be going back and i handed my loyalty card in.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jacky B
Amanda T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
In response to this review, we do experience a high volume of sunday lunch bookings, we are now reviewing whether to begin our a la carte menu in the evening as we do run out of certain items from time to time. I did come over to offer a gesture and to allow you an avenue for feedback as I heard from your server you were unhappy. The quality of our food is very important to us. Many thanks for choosing this avenue for feedback.
southend
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We WERE regulars,. I was looking forward to visiting as i know the new young couple have taken over. i was expecting good things. At first the menu was plain, nothing grabbed me abd it was a little over priced. I would have happily walked out but we were there. Then i thought well maybe less is more ??? i had my started which was strange, 4 king prawns barbequed, but on a wooden slab which looked old and very used, with some cold marie rose sauce. we did not get our main for about 40 minutes, it really was not that busy when we did get it the whole dish and plate was cold i placed my hand in between the two slices of beef and it was cold, we sent it back, only to get it back 5 mintutes later, the exact same plate ?????? I did complain. think a lot of people complained there was a large table in the conservatory that said they had been waiting an hour and they had young children, shame. What was taking so long ???? Also the lady owner has employed
a young chap, who was very lovely, to be front of house. Atmosphere was awful. i also over heard the owner having a go at another member of staff for having another glass of cloke, i should not have heard that, unproffessional.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tammy h
Amanda T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
We do appreciate all feedback, as new owners it is very important. Firstly I would like to say that Marie-rose sauce is meant to be a cold dressing as it is mayonnaise based. I would also like to say that previous to our ownership the food was all pre-cut, pre-cooked practically like a fast food restaurant which explains why we take a little longer preparing our food as it is cooked and sliced to order, apologies if it was not hot enough, the majority of our customers ~90% believe we have improved the quality of food and upgraded the menu, this is the feedback we have recieved I am sorry you felt you had a bad experience with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochford
Skylark Hotel
Holiday Inn Southend
Holiday Inn Southend
#6 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
#14 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to The Cherry Tree? Share your experiences!