Tripadvisor
Upminster

“Popped in our local pub for lunch”
Review of Thatched House

Thatched House
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #42 of 75 Restaurants in Upminster
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Thatched House offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

Popped in our local pub for lunch last week been in here loads of times over the years...it has improved greatly in the past 5 years the food has got better the meal sizes have increased without the prices going up the service was one of the best I’ve had there......a all round good experience, thanks guys..

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at Thatched House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi,

Such a lovely review to leave on TripAdvisor thank you so much for your kind words!
We have been working hard to improve our standards both in the back and the front and always taking on the comments given to us by our guests.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time and I will be letting the staff read your comment so that they may see their hard work being recognized.
Thank you again.
Stephanie and the Thatched House Team

Write a reviewReviews (425)

Reviewed December 28, 2019 via mobile

We had booked, paid in advance, sent in menu choices. On arrival, early, we were greeted warmly. Our waitress Emma promptly checked our order and took a drinks order, the gin recommended was lush.
Starter arrived in good time, a tasty prawn and salmon tart. Cleared promptly and the crackers removed, a nice touch.
Main, Monkfish was tasty, the tempura prawns much better than at the Greyhound in Warley. My wife's nut roast was moist and succulent lovely ratatouille accompanied
Again no delay or ruch for our Tarte Tatin and Chocolate Marquise, both exception.
The 10% plus tip on the total bill accounting for the pre payment was well deserved especially as bill and payment were spot on.
Well done indeed on one of the hardest days of the year to execute properly

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Thatched House, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2019

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback about your boxing day visit!

We are so pleased that we met all your expectations on the day with the food and service, my team will be so pleased to hear this, as you say it's not always easy to get it spot on, on the key days sucha s boxing day.

I do hope this means you will look to book with us again next year and hopefully visit throughout the year.

Reviewed December 27, 2019

Bearing in mind that this was the day after Boxing Day, the restaurant was barely full. We received drinks on arrival but the waitress didn’t offer to replenish the empty glasses after taking our order, so I had to leave the table, go to the bar and order wine there. I had the King Prawn Salad to start was incredibly bland and tasteless, so didn’t finish. Hunter’s Chicken with Gammon - the chicken was tough and overcooked and the gammon was the same. Again, I couldn’t get through the meal as the meat was dry and unappetising. These were basic meals but lacked any kind of punch and weren’t well seasoned. The meal wasn’t inexpensive and won’t be returning as it didn’t represent value for money.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on TripAdvisor, we do appreciate all feedback as this is the only way our buisness is able to grow.
I am sorry to read that you were not satisfied with your visit and there are clearly a few issues we need to address. I will spak with my waiting team about not offering you a second round of drinks as this is part of their service cycle and is a must from my point of view.
I will also speak with my kitchen team about over cooking the hunters chicken as this should not be dry at all.
I am unsure why the starter was so bland as we have never had this feedback before but i will ensure that myself and the Head Chef look into these issues as it is not something we want to happen again.

Like i said at the beggining i thank you for your comments, i do hope this does not totally put you off coming back and wish that you would try us again in the future were we might be able to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Reviewed December 26, 2019 via mobile

I'd booked the Christmas special menu well in advance. It was a family meal for me and visitors from abroad as a special treat.
My sister and I had a bad lunch there in March when we had steaks that were fatty and inedible. Little did we think that the same would happen again this time.
This USED to a great place to eat out but we won't be going again. The meal was a rip off. A tiny slither of pate and toasted bread like cardboard for starter. The steaks were fatty for all three of us but especially awful for my sister. She couldn't eat any of hers. It was disgusting. We spoke to the waitress who said that the manageress would take the price of the meal off our bill. However, the manageress herself didn't bother to come to our table to ask about it or to see if we were satisfied with the offer.
Very poor indeed.
On the plus side, the waitress was hard working and pleasant. Definitely not her fault.
But this place has gone downhill over the past few years and it isn't somewhere I want to return to .

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Thatched House, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2019

Good Evening Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Your feedback will go a long way to helping us improve our guest service going forward.

Firstly let me apologies for the poor experiance you had on your visit. This is not what my team would like to happen to any of our guests so is something we would like to improve.

I apologies for the standard of food you recieved. In terms of the pate and bread. This was served to the specification as set by our head office, so i will be passing your feedback on to them who will make the necessary changes to the menu to help improve the service to our guests. With the Steaks, I apologies for the steaks you recieved, we dont ever want to upset our guests with the quality of our food. So we shall be looking into our supplier to ensure we always recieve the best products, but im sure you can appreciate that we cannot always tell what the internals of a steak looks like without cutting it open, which would then make it unservable to you.

In terms of the manageress coming to deal with the issue. We always urge our waitresses to deal with any table concerns personally as this helps to ensure that the table always gets consistant service from the same waiter and only if the waitress cannot deal with the issue, is it escaleted to the management team. On the night in question, the waitress informed the manager that everything was okay with your table and no further action was necessary. If there was any further issue then the manager or myself would have been happy to come over and help resolve the issue.

On a positive note, its great to see you enjoyed the company of our waitress, i will be sure to pass on your feedback on to her, im sure she will be pleased with the great work she has done.

I hope this hasnt fully tarnished your vision or our pub and brand, i can ensure you that all improvements that can be made, will be made and that i would love to invite you back to the restaurant in the future so we can improve your thoughts on us as a pub and as a team.

Thanks Again

Paul Grint
Assistant Manager
The Thatched House

Reviewed December 18, 2019

We booked a table here for us and one of our parents. The table was ready when we arrived and note had been taken of our request for chairs rather than a banquette seat. Our waitress was very friendly and service was good. We shared a sticky platter between three which was a good start. Our mains were a steak and ale pie, a chicken pie and hunters chicken. The pies were well cooked although there was a lot of pastry compared to the fillings (which were tasty but could have had a little more meat.) The hunters chicken was also enjoyed but unusually the chicken and bacon were separate (it was a piece of gammon rather than rashers of bacon.) I then enjoyed a sticky toffee pudding with custard. The bill was reasonable and reduced by a discount code from my travel insurer.

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Thatched House, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2019

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time here with us and our waiting team made you feel welcomed.
I am sorry about the pie filling i will address this with my Head Chef to ensure this does not continue to happen. But again i am so pleased you enjoyed all other aspects of your time with us and i will be passing your comments on to the team so that they may see your lovely review.

We look forward to seeing you again so.
Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.