“A wonderful accommodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ramsey
Countryair Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Ramsey B&B and Inns
Detern, Germany
“A wonderful accommodation”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I could book no Youth Hostel without a credit card and so I tried Bed & Breakfast and found the Farm Cottage B&B in the near of Harwich. Andy booked us in and so our first night was saved because my daughter and I arrived late. First I couldn't find it because it was dark and everything was new. I had to drive left! So I phoned Andy and then we found it without problems. It is easy to find. We got a nice room. Andy is hospitable and kind. We could stay our whole journey with him and we've liked it. On the next day we saw his garden. What a nice garden! I'm smoker but it didn't bother me to smoke outside. The breakfast was very good, excellent. We can recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Iris Anke B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The Farm Cottage b&b in Ramsey is one of the best places our family have ever stayed at. The welcome was warm, the house is homely and comfortable. The owner is the most welcoming, friendliest person you could imagine and want.
The breakfast was the best we have tasted, none of it fried and all really healthy and the owner should take pride in his cooking skills.
We had read great reviews of this b&b and now we know why. We certainly will be returning and we were sad to leave. It is what you want out of a b&b and more. Great value and and fantastic host.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We landed at Andy's Farm Cottage B&B in Harwich upon arrival in the UK on our July 2011 motocycle trip. We found Andy to be extremely intelligent, warm, straightforward, helpful, self-made, industrious and as genuine as it gets.

We'd had some engine troubles due to someone tampering with our fuel tap on the ferry over and Andy went out of his way to lend me all the tools I needed for a temporary fix. He was on constant standby, ready to assist if necessary. It was the weekend, so we ended up staying there until Tuesday, waiting for our bike to be serviced. Andy's girlfriend was instrumental in helping us find a motorcycle garage that was open on Monday (they're closed on Mondays in Colchester for some reason!)

A couple of weeks later, on our way home, we decided to stay at the Farm Cottage B&B once more, just because we really liked Andy! Initially, we'd stayed in a tent outside but on the return run, we had the luxury of a double room.

Two minor, as in teeny-weeny, complaints I had were really due to no fault of Andy's: 1) most GPS navigators will lead you to the wrong spot about a mile away from his place, and 2) the guests before us shouldn't have been smoking in the room.

One concern I had was about the large radio mast, but apparently Andy no longer uses it for broadcasts and it's sufficiently grounded to offset any dangers from lightning.

If I could suggest an improvement, it would be to rehaul the website to a web 2.0 feel, but this is probably irrelevant, as he's already managing to be found online just fine as it is!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Very warm welcome from Andy the host, who offered us a cup of tea on arrival. We would call it more of a guesthouse, as it feels very much like staying in someone's home. The room was nice but small, with television, loads of DVDs and books and comfortable bed. The shared bathroom was fine, but you have to access through the kitchen which is a little uncomfortable from the upstairs bedrooms. Overall, the facilities were average, and about the right price. The breakfast was brilliant.

Our one problem was the smoking from Andys room which made the whole house smell, and our eyes sting. It was unescapable in the rooms, and we think other guests were smoking in their rooms too. It was a bit surprising, and for that reason we would not return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank love2travel19Uk
Peine, Germany
Reviewed December 17, 2011

During our stay in UK we decided to have the first night after ferry near Harwich and choose Farm Cottage via internet because of the price and the location.
Driving in the dark it was not easy to find, but then we got a very warm welcome from Andy, a cup of tea while he took our luggage to the room upstairs.
It was as Germans we thought about "B&B" - a room to sleep and a breakfast within the family life. It´s not a hotel or a holidays apartement, but that we did´nt wanted because for us it was also important to come in contact with the UK people, and for that it was one of the best B&B we had during our trip up to scotland and back. Andy is very interested for his guests and gave us a good feeling there - and it was the ceapest B&B during our UK stay.
Only was the location close to the main road which made the night a bit noisy so for the travel back we asked Andy for a room in the rear and he gave it when we also stood the last night in UK at Farm cottage.
We´l come back for shure at our next trip via Harwich as long as Andy offers his B&B.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank edgardlfuss
London
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We chose to stay at Farm B&B as a result of a last minute search for accommodation in the area. I would not choose to return.

While the proprietor is friendly and polite, the B&B does not live up to its website description, nor, in my opinion to some of the other reviews here on trip advisor.

Our room was particularly small and felt cramped because of the low ceiling and gaudy wallpaper…not at all spacious, as described on the website. If there was a larger room this was not offered to us, despite the fact that we were the only guests. The bedroom carpet was well-worn, as was the bed linen. There was a noticeable stale tobacco smell throughout, which was masked only on the evening of our stay, by very powerful cooking odours from the kitchen, which permeated the entire guest section of the house. The TV reception was patchy, to the degree that it was impossible to watch. The tea and coffee making facilities were poor - the milk was powdered and the sugar was damp.

Unfortunately there are no en suite bathrooms in the B&B. In order to get from our room to the communal bathroom, we had to navigate the very steep threadbare stairs and make our way through the guest dining room AND the kitchen. The bathroom was spacious and clean.

The dining area was small and dark – not as it appears on the website. We chose not to have breakfast there so can't comment on the quality.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelsheepLondon
Staffordshire
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband & I stayed at Farm Cottage B&B for one night prior to our Baltic Cruise. We booked the package which included car parking and a taxi to and from the port and we then took advantage of Andy’s offer of an evening meal (which was all home cooked and delicious).
What can I say that hasn’t already been said by all the people before me?
The Farm Cottage website is very comprehensive and Andy responded to my emails very swiftly.
This establishment does exactly ‘what it says on the tin’. You could not ask for a more friendly, helpful and welcoming host. I have stayed with family and close friends who have not gone to so much time and trouble, when welcoming me to their home.
As I said it is a Bed & Breakfast, someone’s actual home, do not expect to check in before 5.30pm as Andy has to organise all aspects of running not only his home, but his very busy business as well.
All areas were very clean and homely and were perfect for providing the extras to the beginning and end of our holiday.
Thank you Andy for opening your home to travellers from all over the world, and for being the perfect host.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jojo3oo

Been to Countryair Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!