TripAdvisor
Pocklington
Post
Inbox
Search

“Shouted at by staff/owner”
Review of Smile Cafe

Smile Cafe
Description: We are cafe, campsite and farm shop based within walking distance to the market town of Pocklington. Smile cafe seats around 30 people and has an indoor soft play area suitable for under 5’s. There is also an outdoor play paddock that has swings, a climbing frame and slide along with a number of ride ons. The campsite has hard standing pitches along with 16 amp hook ups on flat level well draining land. The facilities are new and include individual wet rooms, a family / disabled facility. The shop stock a locally made produce including, jams, chutneys, cheeses, chocolates, speciality beers, ciders and an extensive range of gin. Also butcher bacon, eggs, sausages and bread
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Me and my friend visited the smile cafe on Thursday with our babies and toddlers, I brought a nappy bag and a water bottle that I refill with tap water every day and take everywhere with me so that I'm not buying plastic bottles all the time.. better for the environment etc. With my purse in my hand we was all quing up to buy lunch and coffee when a man (one of the owners I think) suddenly appeared in my face and shouted 'you can't do that!' I was shocked and confused and answered 'sorry, can't do what?' to which he shouted 'you just can't do that! You have a bottle of water, we sell water here you cant just bring your own in, where a business!!' I explained that I haven't just bought it elsewhere and brought it in, I fill it up at home and take it with me everyday, to which he shouted at me again 'it's not on! I'm clamping down on this now!'
1: I didn't even have the bottle in my hand it was on my bag on the table
2: I had my purse in my hand quing up to buy 6 lots of food, I didn't just walk in and drink my tap water and then try to leave!
3: He told me off like we was in school, it was utterly humiliating and shocking and it made me and my friend so upset and uncomfortable that we told our children to put back their lunch boxes they had chosen so we could leave, as we didn't want to stay a minute longer.

As we was leaving, a lady from a table across the room approached me to say how angry and shocked her and her friend was at what they just heard, she very kindly wanted to check I was ok and said they fill up their bottles with tap water too.

I understand you are a business and I would understand if I had walked in with a pack up full of food, but I had some tap water and was about to spend £60 on food and coffees between me and my friend.

What hurts the most is that I have been a regular customer since my first chilen was born nearly 4 years ago, coming atleast twice a month and buying food and coffee every time. Then the fact the man felt it appropriate to verbally attack a woman attempting to hold a baby and help a toddler choose his lunch box and pay, rather than waiting and quietly taking me to one side and saying it politely? It is no exaggeration that he shouted and pointed his finger in my face angrily.

After the years I've brought my children/ friends/ family to the smile and the money I've spent there and then that happens, I will certainly never be going again and it's such a shame. Utterly shocked and disappointed!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (41)

Reviewed September 15, 2019 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights couldn't fault anything. Well kept site, wet rooms superb, lovely setting with popular cafe & good play area for kids. Ideally situated within walking distance to Pocklington. All staff welcoming. Will definitely be visiting again.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 30, 2019

We visited with children. Our toddler, an adolescent and pre-teen. We were first told to get off the play equipment outside because of mud. Next we were chided for muddy boots (which we removed) and then chided in the restaurant for our oldest daughter - who giving us a rest- taking the toddler around the soft play. because she is not an adult she is considered too old. Believe me she wasn't going around the tiny soft play area for her own pleasure. It felt awkward and the waitress was just this side of rude. We ended up leaving as this was our second visit and we have eaten the food before. its ok but not worth putting up with the attitude. The first visit was a bit better so its fair to say maybe we got the staff on a bad day but I wouldn't go again.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed March 4, 2019

This is a great site.

We loved he space, the location (easy to get to Pocklington), the services (really good showers), the owner (very friendly, happy to have a chat), the shop (a great range of things in there if you need the odd bit - also a good selection of beer).

Most of all the cafe - the breakfasts are incredible. Well worth having.

We'll definitely be back and recommend this place to our friends.

Date of visit: February 2019
JoFlo1969, Owner at Smile Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2019

Hi Eric and Clare,

Thank you for taking the time to review our campsite, shop and cafe. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again

regards
Jo & Colin

Reviewed January 20, 2019

Lovely little cafe, gorgeous cakes and great service. The play area is fantastic for young children and because the cafe is reasonably small, you can let you children play whilst you have a drink and are able to see them all the time. Much safer for young children than the big ‘play barns’. The outside play area is also fantastic on a lovely sunny day. A definite place to visit if you’re in the area as the attached farm shop has some great local produce in it too.

Date of visit: August 2018
JoFlo1969, Owner at Smile Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2019

Dear Larry,
Thank your taking the time to write a review for our place, we are pleased that you enjoyed you stay, I’ll certainly pass your comments on you our staff. Looking forward to Spring when we can get outside!
Much appreciated