“DISHONEST & DISORGANISED !!!!”
Review of The Country Park

The Country Park
Ranked #2 of 4 Hessle B&B and Inns
Takeley, United Kingdom
“DISHONEST & DISORGANISED !!!!”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Having booked in here via Laterooms I received a call the following morning to advise that they had double booked me and my room was NOT available ! I begrudgingly accepted their offer of booking me into another hotel, The Lazaat, which I was informed, 5 minutes later, had been arranged. On arrival at The Lazaat, I was greeted with blank expression to find that no such booking had been made !!! Not a pleasant experience at 7.30pm on a Monday night.
I was offered an apology and the promise of an explanation and resolution the following day which 72 HOURS LATER I am still waiting for !!! Needless to say I will not be entertaining this shower again !!!

Room Tip: Don't bother !!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The occasion was our son's birthday and so along with our daughter in law and her parents we made a family occasion of it. We haven't been to this place since after our son and daughter in laws wedding when it was packed. Today was the same, very busy so one can assume, very popular. We sat and had drinks first then ordered our meals, there was a menu and a special of the day, a Sunday roast.

I tried the steak and Guinness pie, along with chips, peas, others tried the Sunday roast and my wife the chicken. The staff were efficient and pleasant enough and there wasn't a long wait from ordering to the meal being served. I like my steak and ale pies, as they are called in other establishments, and this one today was superb.

Light pastry on the top of a fair size pie dish with the chips and peas on the main plate. I took the pastry off, to eat separately and this revealed a rich mixture of large chunks of meat in a delicious gravy. Other pies I have had have been so so with the meat inside but this one was full of tasty meat from top to bottom.

I had no complaints, and neither did my wife with her chicken dish, but those who had the Sunday roast were disappointed with the vegetables, they were hard and not very tasty, although the rest of the meal was reasonable. So a hit an miss sort of meal, on a personal level I would recommend the steak and Guinness pie, and my wife had the Spicy Chicken Sizzler which she enjoyed. My rating for this place is based on my personal meal but obviously those with the Special of the day would have a different view.

The price of the meals and drinks was on par with most places these days so nothing outrageous. We didn't have starters or a pudding and as I have said it was very busy during out visit. Parking is a nearby car park and the venue itself, with panoramic views of the fantastic Humber Bridge has a pleasant ambiance. We haven't used the lodge, which is nearby, for a room so can't comment on that aspect.

But having visited the place on a number of occasion I do know they put on a variety of artists from time to time ranging from comedians to rock/pop bands. I have also tended an auction of various goods, Persian carpets and flat screen TVs were being sold the last one I went to. So it is an all round venue, weddings are catered for, and parties of various types. During a summer it is a haven for anyone taking a stroll along the banks of the River Humber, which thousands do.

As the name implies there is a park nearby, it was a disused quarry, but has been made into place to walk the dog or just sit on a bench and relax. The Country Park is a bit out of the way if you don't know the area but as long as you make your way towards the bridge then you should find the place. If I take the meal as a whole then it would be rated as average based on everyone's experience so all I can say is try the steak and Guinness pie and see what you think.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night only. Walls were very thin, could hear everything from the people next door. The mattresses were uncomfortable, the bed linen smelt really fusty and the pillows were very thin. A walk away from the hotel in the freezing cold. No breakfast facilities in the morning - was told to visit 'Sainsburys for breakfast'.

Room Tip: Think all rooms will be the same, noisy; walls too thin. Not comfortable beds and smelly linen.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Hessle hotels

Derby
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We were attending a party in hessle and picked this place to stay over due to its close location. THe accomodation is right under the Humber bridge and close to the river. For £29 a night we were not expecting to much and were not disapointed It was cold when we arrived, so it was nice to walk into a warm room-this was probably due to the fact that the bathroom radiator was set to scorching and could not be turned off. The bed linen was washed out,duvet and pillows flat and my bed sheet had a rip.
On the plus side the location is good with a pub style restaurant opposite.Despite some of the room failings it appeared clean and had most room amenities that you would expect. (tea,coffee,shower gel etc). You get what you pay for, and for £29 a night,acting as a base for the night it was just ok. maybe we should not be quite so critical. It did for our needs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank STUGDERBY
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Visited the restaurant nice menu we had the sunday lunch which was very good value .
A view of the Humber Bridge not to be missed outside seating so you could have lunch outdoors on the banks of the Humber.
Ideal place to visit on a hot summer day .
We will visit this restaurant again when in Hull

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
CPIHessle, Manager at The Country Park, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Thank you for your comments - greatly appreciated
Essex
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in mid August 2011 whilst on a solo cycle trip in the area. I was allocated a double ground floor en=suite in The Lodge. It was fine for me and my bike! Great location very close to the Humber Bridge and nicely placed for designated cycle routes in the area. I had a problem with the TV in the room on the first night as it wouldnt work probably, after speaking with reception staff it was replaced the following day with a digital one. The public house is ideally situated which serves a nice pint and a good selection of reasonably priced food. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Walked into the restaurant twice and enjoyed it but we did not stay here. This inn is directly below the Humber Bridge near Hull and the location is great for sightseeing or a walk in the nice cliff side park on the Yorkshire side of Humber brigde. It is very family friendly place and wheel chair access is possible too.

The food quality is average pub standard but the selection is reasonable. Service standard varies on the two visits we made, I am afraid it is rated average to poor. But the beer is fresh (obviously selling good volume here with the tourists) and the view is good so do make it your stop if average pub food is good enough for your occasion. We will certainly revisit it again just for the drink with the view

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
I can only apologise that you feel let down by our food but hope that you will visit again if only for the beer ;-) Our food is something we do pride ourselves on so next time you are in ask for myself - Jason and we will try to recommend one of my favourites for you to try!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hessle
Hallmark Hotel Hull
Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel
Lazaat
Lazaat
#1 of 1 in Cottingham

Been to The Country Park? Share your experiences!