All reviews bat cave howler monkeys mosquito netting hot water dry season no air conditioning bring cash jungle lodge walking trails small pool visit calakmul special place guatemalan border jungle feeling very nice place to stay convenient location to visit in retrospect
Selected filters
Reviewed April 24, 2019

My wife and I decided that Mexico was the place to go on our honeymoon.

We also decided that a few nights in the Jungle, exploring Calakmul ruins and having a guided tour through the jungle to spot some of the local wildlife would be a fantastic addition to the honeymoon experience and we weren't disappointed.

About a week before we arrived in Calakmul, we stayed in an eco lodge that claimed any and all faults were down to its 'jungle location and therefore limitations' but truthfully, they weren't really in a jungle, they just weren't very good.

Puerta Calakmul is in a league of its own and does the 'jungle experience' very well.

The drive through the jungle to reach it gives you the feel of the place. A woodland style jungle.
The open reception area and then the open (apart from the mosquito nets) restaurant with it's beautifully carved furniture (resembling leaves, flowers etc) and fantastic dishes. My wife is more adventurous with food than me. I was glad to see some classics (e.g fried eggs) while she assures me the Mexican stuff was tasty too. Also happy to see that they catered to us as vegetarians!

The cabins are closed enough that you don't feel exposed to other guests and yet open enough that you feel like you're in the jungle, even when lying in bed. The cabins are all made from wooden planks, the roof is a sort of thatch design and the walls are mostly mosquito nets that you can draw curtains across for privacy.
Each cabin also has an outdoor seating area with table, chairs and hammocks.

The bathrooms are functional, the swimming pool looks a bit worn but the water looked clean. The site doesn't have air con but there are fans to keep you cool which also help with Mosquitos. (Not strong fliers so disturbing the air helps keep them at bay!)

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would highly recommend it to others.

We also booked an English speaking guide (through the hotel) to take us for a jungle flora and fauna walk followed by a tour around the Calakmul archeological ruins. The guide was fantastic. His English was good, his enthusiasm and knowledge were great. I strongly recommend booking tours through the hotel, you won't be disappointed.

Fantastic. We saw an assortment of creatures in the jungle and the ruins were some of the best we saw and we visited a LOT of sites. A short drive (once you get back on the main road) also takes you to the Bat Cave where you can see hummingbirds and, at dusk, thousands of bats as they leave their cave and fly off into the night for dinner. Amazing site. The location of Puerta Calakmul couldn't be better.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2019

If you want to be with nature then this may be for you. The rooms look like thatched roof huts with front porch including hammock and chairs. Bedroom has mosquito netting and fan (no air conditioning). The bathroom is adequate with shower. The restaurant was great and food very good. The pool was beautiful. For bird watchers this may be the place for you. We saw lots of birds, flowers, orchids, plants and of course don't forget the howler monkeys who started at 4am.

Room tip: All rooms have great views of the surrounding jungle area
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2019

This is a very nice place to stay , food is very good and the rooms are clean , good looking , there is an jungle atmosphere.
All the staff is very nice.
Good tours and recommendations.

Only I recommend for the Calakmul Trip the lunch bag is better. The baguette too small.

Room tip: Rooms that are not in front pool are quieter.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2019

My husband, my daughter and myself spent 2 nights at Puerta Calakmul. We really enjoyed our stay. We got the cabin right next to the parking lot (cabin #1). It was fairly quiet but I would recommend getting a cabin further in, like cabin #7 or #8. The hotel has a small pool and a restaurant. The food is good but the portions are huge in my opinion. Breakfast is included but you can also pay a small difference to replace it for a "box lunch" to take with you to the archeological site. I read in some other reviews that the WiFi was not working during their stay and that was the case for us as well. Our room (cabin) was comfortable and clean, and there was hot water and the shower head had good water pressure. We could hear the howler monkeys howl at around 4 am and that gave us a sense of adventure while being comfortably snugged in our beds. We were lucky to be there in the dry season but the beds have mosquito nets. The hotel staff is super friendly, and they can arrange for a tour guide to take you to the Calakmul archeological site, which is another 63 km into the jungle. We also went to a smaller, lesser known, site called Balamkú. If you go there, ask the caretaker (custodio) to open the door to view the beautiful frieze with its jaguars and amphibians. Bring cash as Puerta Calakmul does not accept credit cards.

Reviewed March 6, 2019

A friend and I stayed here 2 nights. I was delighted to find that the shower head had vastly improved since my last stay in 2010. Love this place---the natural setting, the birds all over the grounds, the staff like Ceferino, good food, good service. Went with guide Enrique early to the ruins to see many types of birds and also Howler Monkeys sleeping in the trees. Very knowledgeable and a great guy. Recommend him highly! You can arrange a tour with him through Reception. The room was very comfortable, though you may feel like you're "glamping" due to the many screens (no worries, curtains provide privacy). This is good for hearing the Howlers between 4 & 5 a.m., but you also need to remember to talk quietly in your room, or you might be chastised by your neighbor, as we were. Sorry! :) Only downside was that the WiFi, available only in the restaurant, wasn't working during our stay. Oh, well. Another opportunity to "unplug" and "be here now."

• Trip type: Traveled with friends