All reviews bat cave howler monkeys hot water the reserve entrance gate an early start jungle lodge mosquito net who cares visit calakmul limited menu archaeological site no air conditioning jungle feeling nature walk small pool other travelers
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Very nice place, a series of cabins beneath the trees were you can spot monkeys. There are no glass in the windows but mosquito nets so you can hear and fell the jungle but without any unwanted insects. Is the best option to visit Calakmul since it’s right on the entrance to the protected area. The restaurant needs to improve but it was ok, maybe a simpler menu would work. It’s worth to note that there are not that many places to eat nearby. Gary was nice and helpful with tips on getting the most of your visit.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2018

It's simple but spacious cabins in the Yucatan forest with a surprisingly good cuisine throughout the day. Try the espresso flan! Still 1 hr drive away from the Calakmul ruins but you don't get any closer than this. You're that close to nature that you'll hear and see lots of birds. And in the morning or evening we'd spot agoutis straying around the resort.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

The hotel is comfortable, decent and clean. Its restaurant serves simple but edible fare. We used the guide provided by the hotel, however, and received an unpleasant surprise. We first arranged for a tour of the ruins and some incidental birding. 1000 pesos as advertised. He was a knowledgeable guide and we engaged him for birding the two following days. We asked about pricing but got what in retrospect was an evasive response: that it depended on the time spent. Well the time was less each of the succeeding days but we were charged on our bill twice as much,
that is 2000 pesos per day. We asked the manager, who said he would review the matter with the guide. The next day, the manager, who until then had been loquacious , stepped briefly inside the restaurant , then disappeared , not to be seen until we had to leave.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Sam M
Cangar, General Manager at Hotel Puerta Calakmul, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2018

I am very sorry you feel this way. Guide and transport are not businesses for us. None work for us. It is a service we provide to the guests and to them. We try to pair the best guide to the guests requirements. For the regular tours, there are no problems, we know the exact price the guides will charge us. When it comes to birding that is more than part of the walking tour in the jungle to hopefully see animals but with a focus on birds, that is easy for us and there are many guides available with whom we work. But when it comes to anything more than that, seeing that bird watching is more specialized, we ask the guide to come and sit with the guests to see what the guests are looking for, how much time they have and to know what species are around at the time of the year.

Having not sat at the table to hear the conversation I cannot tell if the amounts were clearly defined - as mentioned by the guide when I had a chance to speak to him the following day - or evasive. From past experience I know that money matters are always clear, as we have never had any problem or question on any of the pricing that were given for the birding tours. If for any reason they were not clear, it should have been clarified at the time. we never add extras to anything in the hotel. I am really sorry if there was a misunderstanding

As far as my disappearing, I never disappear/hide when there are problems. Every 2nd morning, I try to get away for 2 hours biking to disconnect from the hotel. If I start talking to one person I end up talking to everyone and never leave. As you said, I am loquacious. But this is to everyone that comes to the hotel as I want them to know about the area, as the are in the middle of nowhere and and do not really know what to expect as far as times, distances and what needs to be seen during the rest of their trip. Yes, I was remiss in not telling you that I had not talked to the guide yet, but I was sure you were still going to be in the hotel when I came back, as you told me the night before that you will be taking your time before leaving. It is my error for assuming this

The only 2 things I can say is that I am very, very sorry for this miscommunication between the guide and you and me not going to your table 1st thing in the morning. The other, for the future, and especially travelling, to make sure everything is clear. In the end, both you and us are affected by this. For me personally, I try to take care of all the guests that come here to make sure they have a good experience, whether in this hotel, or any other on their trip. I love this part of the world, and always hope that people feel a little of what I feel and the why I moved here.

Reviewed January 2, 2018

On balance, I would recommend a stay at the Hotel Puerta Calakmul.  The balance being struck is between the ease of access that the hotel gives to some fairly remote sights (the Calakmul ruins and bat volcano amongst other things) together with the novelty of staying in the forest, weighed against the inevitable compromises involved in staying in a hut in the middle of no where.

It was mostly cloudy when I visited, which gave the forest a rather dark and oppressive air.  Lighting in the huts is quite limited (presumably because electricity is also limited), which adds to the gloom.  The restaurant area is, however, pleasant and convivial. It’s a shame that guests aren’t encouraged to treat the restaurant more as a social space, rather than simply as a place to eat.  Having stayed in similar places in various parts of the world, there can be a great sense of camaraderie amongst guests stuck (in the nicest way) in remote locations.

My hut was clean and free of bugs, with a notably nice bathroom area.  Every sound of the forest (including some very loud crashes during a night time storm) can be heard in the huts, together with the occasional sound of trucks thundering along the distant highway.  There was no safe in my hut and I would very strongly encourage guests to secure their valuables (in particular cash) by some means, such as a locked case or car.

The hotel arranged an excellent tour guide for me, who took me on a nature walk in the reserve and an exploration of the Calakmul ruins.  He was also chief pothole spotter on the drive to and from the ruins, making for more rapid progress in my car than would otherwise have been the case.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2017

We were here for three nites in December. The weather was cold and damp so the bugs were minimal. This was likely an advantage. The walls are screens with curtains for privacy. This made the cold weather more significant, there is no heat. There was a power loss making our flashlights very useful. The staff was very good and friendly. The food was adequate in quality and quantity. The internet works only in restaurant and is slow. The rooms have plenty of lights and outlets and decent hot water though some in our group complained about the hot water. We enjoyed this facility and would stay there again if visiting the area. It was too cold to consider using the pool.

Room Tip: ground floor of a two story can keep thatch roof bugs from visiting as ceiling is there instead of thatch.
  • Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple