Our recent two night stay at The Trek Stop was wonderful experience in eco-lodging. On our late evening arrival we were greeted by John, who with great enthusiasm showed us around and to our cabins. We had chosen the deluxe cabins which were built with beautiful rich wood. Inside was a full size bed, a set of bunks beds, a desk and chair and a bathroom complete with shower, sink and composting toilet. I like many others was initially hesistant about a composting toilet but I can assure you that even in the hot tropical climate of Belize these toilets are virtually odorless when used properly with wood chips. Each cabin had a porch and a hammock nearby to enjoy the scenery in.
Although we did not opt to do any food preparation ourselves, The Trek Stop had a nice kitchen area for anyone who chose to. In our case we chose to enjoy meals at the restaurant prepared by either Judy, John's wife or one of the local young ladies who worked for them. The menu had enough variety to satisfy my picky daughter and my vegetarian son.
After our trip to the nearby Mayan ruin, Xunantunich, we enjoyed renting tubes and tubing down the Mopan River. At the end of our 3 hour river adventure we met at the end of our ride by John who transported us back to The Trek Stop.
I cannot begin to mention all the birds we experienced while just sitting and eating. A leisurely walk through the butterfly house is a must. We had several opportunities to just sit and talk with Judy and John who added detail and color to our visit.
My only suggestion to anyone visiting the Trek Stop who might be a light sleeper is to bring a pair of earplugs along just in case the village down the road has a dance. The music really echoes up the hillside and if a Punta Rock beat isn't your thing, it might keep you awake.
My family and I will treasure all the memories of our time spent here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Trek Stop is located right next to the Western Highway which means easy access. We are NOT for the people looking for LUXURY. Our property is located in the "Jungle" as some would put it, which means there will be bugs, birds and other local animals on the premises. We have 10 basic cabins, 5 small cabins which have 2 single beds in the room, and its shared bath. We have 3 cabins which have a double bed and a bunk bed in the room, also shared bath. We do have 2 cabins which have a double bed, bunk and a private bath which has a shower and compost toilets. Our Shared Toilets are Compost Toilets. If you are looking for an adventure, this is the place for you, most of the people that stay here, are out on adventures and don't spend much time in their cabins. We have on the premises a restaurant, a Butterfly Farm & also a 9 Hole Disc Golf Course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Trek Stop reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Trek Stop Hotel San Jose Succotz
- Trek Stop Cayo
- Trek Stop Hotel Cayo
- The Trek Stop Belize/San Jose Succotz