“Breakfast at Sotavento”
Review of Sotavento Cafe

Sotavento Cafe
Ranked #11 of 179 Restaurants in Campeche
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Like an Excellent Breakfast in Campeche? Then don’t think any longer and go to Sotavento! The most friendly staff serve a truly excellent espresso, cappuccino or latte with a wide variety of fruits, cereals, eggs and mexican breakfast specials. Certainly worth a detour!!

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

The staff is friendly and the service still slow (as before.) But the coffee wasn't as good at breakfast, and the cup is smaller (No refills even on a regular.)

The food is delicious. Servings aren't large, but was enough for us. We had great pasta dishes, and gourmet salads. Nice specialty drinks like frappes and smoothies, and dessert options. I had a wonderful piña colada.

As with other restaurants in Campeche, you can walk right past it! Good to know the address beforehand. It has a nice atmosphere, cool vibe with some odd, but all original artwork. We stayed at the lovely attached hotel and were told we could get ice from the cafe which is nice.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank viajePALZ
Reviewed January 22, 2018

Cozy place with good Mexican menu. Their breakfasts are very good. Coffee and hot chocolate is excellent

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 13, 2018 via mobile

On the two days of our stay at Hotel Socarie we ate breakfast here both days. We were expecting coffee and perhaps a roll but boy, were we surprised! My wife ordered the omelet with ham and cheese and we got the usual flipped-on-the-grill browned egg foldover. No surprise. I got the chiliquilles , my standard breakfast in Mexico and was thrilled. With the standard load of chicken, red sauce, queso fresco and a couple of fried egg I wasn’t disappointed at all. My reference standard for chilaquilles is the pile you get at the breakfast places in Taos and the star is chili rojo. No place does it better and Norther New Mexico and I was expecting to be disappointed. Nope. While it wasn’t NM chili rojo I was thrilled surprised by the sauce: a peasantly spiced tangy tomato sauce that has it’s own unique flavor. It worked well even though it wasn’t my beloved chili rojo from Pasquale’s. The other highlight were the chips. The usual preparation calls to toss the chips in a pan of simmering chili rojo before adding the chicken. This usually leaves a pile of soggy masa at the bottom of the plate. I’m pretty sure that the chef here just dredged the chips in the chili rojo before she piled on the chicken and queso leaving the chips with the perfect ratio of crunch to chew. Ummmm.

The next big surprise was the Enmolada, four soft tacos folded over shredded chicken then smothered with a mole poblano, one of the best versions of this I’ve ever had. The chef must have been from Oaxaca because this mole was perfect: rich, smoky and smooth with hints of chocolate, tobacco, raisins, seeds and nuts, with just enough chili favor and spice so you know it’s Oaxacan.

Bravo!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed December 25, 2017

We had lunch and breakfast on our short stay. The staff were friendly and attentive. The food was good and reasonably priced. We stopped in for a jamaica drink in the afternoon. The waiter taught me how to make it and gave me some hibiscus leaves to take with me. We both had an opportunity to practice our english/spanish skills.

Date of visit: December 2017