It was a really hot day when we arrived at Campeche airport - 36 degrees - phew! We rented a car at the airport and made our way courtesy of google maps to Hacienda Uayamon.
As soon as you arrive you are transported back in time to the days of sisal production and colonial glamour. The cluster of buildings and ruins have a great charm particularly as they are colourful, now fading and crumbling gently, surrounded by jungle with a huge ceiba / kapok tree in the foreground. At night they are cleverly lit to provide an eery, romantic setting.
The rooms are some way from the main building along forest paths. Ours was quite dark with high wooden vaulted ceilings with a modern open plan bathroom along a corridor with huge square bath (we didn't try it since it would have taken an age to fill !), and an outside shaded lounging area.
We only had 2 nights there and needed to explore the local town so didn't make use of all the facilities but the pool within the ruins of the old sisal factory is a superb setting for a cooling swim and lounge in a hammock, and the complimentary 10 minute massage was certainly invigorating.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. Only one spoke any english so some spanish is definitely helpful. The food was ok, not outstanding - perhaps the only thing to let the place down a bit, but you can take your meal wherever you fancy. We had lunch on our own under the huge ceiba tree enjoying the surroundings - marvellous.
If you need wifi it is only available in the main building and we found it quite slow.
It is quite expensive, particularly for Mexico, and part of the Starwood Preferred Resort group so top US prices - but we were glad to have experienced it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the time it was built at the end of the 16th century, Hacienda Uayamon has been one of the key residences in the region. The site has 200 hectares of land located just a 20 minute drive from the airport of the city of Campeche, and it is a perfect starting off point to visit the Edzna, Balamkú, Calakmul archaeological sites and the famous Puerta de Tierra. This place has twelve separate villas spread along the serene paths. All of them are decorated in an elegant style, and have a private terrace and a garden. The place is enclosed in a natural setting with a high level of energy where you can totally surrender to the experience of baths and energetic spa treatments for complete relaxation. ***Please consider that due to location, the internet is not guaranteed 24/7. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Hacienda Uayamon, a Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Uayamon Campeche
- Hacienda Uayamon Hotel Campeche