Almost no place I have ever stayed matches the pictures you see on their web-site, Hacienda Uayamon (why-a-mon) is the exception. This place is a jewel in Starwood's crown. Both my wife and I agreed that this was the most fantastic property we have ever stayed. I love historical architecture, so it is possible that I am biased. We were the only couple there for our 3 day stay, as such we felt like we owned a 200 year old colonial plantation.
The staff was incredibly gracious. Most of them were locals. One of the missions of the Haciendas in the Yucatan is to provide quality jobs for the locals. We ate on site every day (breakfast and dinner), both meals were so large that lunch was not necessary. The quality of the food and service was well worth the money. We also had a couples "relaxing" massage, which was heavenly. I opted against the Mayan massage based on other reviews.
Some of the other reviews identified issues with mosquitos. I have been to a Costa Rican jungle resort that was pretty bad, so I was expecting to lather myself in bug spray. However in Uayamon I did not find them to be any worse than at home. During feeding hours (morning and afternoon) they were out in the wooded areas of the property, but that was it.
The restoration work they did was first class and very innovative, especially the pool area. We stayed in the Colonial Suite (upgraded), which was the former charity hospital, built in 1905. It had an outdoor tub and pergola with a day bed. Most of the other rooms appeared to have the pergola. All of the rooms were secluded and private, which allowed us to enjoy the outdoor living pace at all hours. The rooms were lavishly furnished.
We flew into Cancun because they have much cheaper flights from the US. We spent the first night in Cancun, then drove the 6 hours to Uayamon the next morning. The drive was not bad, there are ruins that can be seen enroute if you leave early enough and you can also stop in Merida for lunch. They have a nice historic center. I drove a rental car and had no issues driving. It is interstate or highway (180) most of the way from Cancun to Campeche. Every large town had police check points at the entrance roads. We never felt unsafe and traveled by ourselves. You MUST go see Edzna, which is only 30 minutes from the property. Uxmal is 3 hours away, we did this on the way back to Cancun. Campeche’s historic center is only a 30 minute drive. The resort offers guided tours through a company called Catherwood Travels. You should do some research on them before going at catherwoodtravels.com. The resort’s staff speaks English, but more complex conversations, such as understanding touring options and pricing can be difficult.
On-line directions to the resort are so-so, but we finally found it. You do not want to attempt this in the dark. My GPS took me into the town of China, which was out of route. There is a road right off 180 that leads to Uayamon, a few hundred feet north of the China exit. There is a small state sign, saying Hda. Uayamon and Edzna marking this road, but it is in overgrown weeds. Once you are on the road to Uayamon, the signage gets much better.
I can't say enough good thinks about Hacienda Uayamon. I just wish I
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the time it was built at the end of the 16th century, Hacienda Uayamon has been one of the key residences in the region. The site has 200 hectares of land located just a 20 minute drive from the airport of the city of Campeche, and it is a perfect starting off point to visit the Edzna, Balamkú, Calakmul archaeological sites and the famous Puerta de Tierra. This place has twelve separate villas spread along the serene paths. All of them are decorated in an elegant style, and have a private terrace and a garden. The place is enclosed in a natural setting with a high level of energy where you can totally surrender to the experience of baths and energetic spa treatments for complete relaxation. ***Please consider that due to location, the internet is not guaranteed 24/7. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hacienda Uayamon, a Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Uayamon Campeche
- Hacienda Uayamon Hotel Campeche