“Good Value Basic Hotel”

Hotel Lopez Campeche
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Campeche
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here three nights in a basic room. It was quite small with no cross-ventilation. However, there was a room air conditioner. The room was very clean. If we stayed again, we would definitely pay more for one of the suites. For the money, you cannot beat this hotel. I only wish that they allowed one to make a definite reservation online.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SugarRol

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We really liked the Hotel Lopez. I phoned them on my cell from Santa Elena and they booked me a hotel room for two nights on the basis of me spelling out my name in my poor Spanish. No credit card required.
It was easy to find, right in the Centro Historico and it had free, secure parking right beside the hotel which is worth gold in this city of tight parking.
The staff were great, the room was spotless, the beds extremely comfortable with two pillows each! There was lots of hot water and good water pressure. Air conditioning and fan worked fine but were not necessary for us in January. They washed my jeans for me for eight pesos.
Downside: the elevator wasn't working while we were there and workmen were doing extensive maintenance on the pool which meant that we got to listen to their radio all day whenever we were in the room. It was classic Rock so not too bad but the scraping kind of got on our nerves. Plus we couldn't use the pool area at all so there was no where to sit outside. Luckily Campeche is a wonderful city and a walker's paradise so we didn't spend much time there in the day. I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Just ask them if the pool is open first.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank margoandthecats
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Staff at too many hotels in Mexico say 'No' the first instant after you tell them your problem: that couldn't be further from the truth at Hotel Lopez. At no other hotel in Mexico and only in few other places in my travels elsewhere have I found the superior degree of personal and attentive customer service as I was delighted to receive from Hotel Lopez.

The management here truly surprised me in how flexible and attentive they were to the experience of my family, while we stayed at the hotel and even in our travels beyond the hotel. In particular, Abi, the onsite manager, went out of her way to help me--not only during my family's visit to Campeche City, but also after, in actually transporting us for our visit to the region hundreds of km to the south.

With Abi in charge, the hotel is destined for greatness, if it hasn't already achieved it!

My family of 6 stayed in the 'piso ejecutivo' rooms on the fourth floor--airy, spacious, clean, and a great quiet refuge from the sometimes-hectic streets of Campeche. The pool is a boon for hot days. However, very unexpectedly, the highlight of our experience occurred as we were checking out of the hotel.

On the day of our check out, on very short notice, Abi and her family and friends actually enlisted a van to take my family of 6 all the way to the Becan region of Campeche state, a 4 hour drive, and stay nearby for 2 nights, and drive us back to catch our return flight out of Campeche. All this was completed with charm and professionalism.

A bit more detail on what happened: The day of checkout, after my family stayed 3 days at Hotel Lopez and struggled with no success to secure a rental car during the busy tourist season of new years 2014, we had given up on getting a rental car and traveling to the Calakmul ruins in the south, where we had already paid for hotel reservations. We told Abi of our problem, at check out time on our last day: we told her we had lost our rental car, and then she engaged a degree of personal care and resourcefulness I had never seen before in hotel staff.

Within 4 hours, Abi's husband Felipe and terrific friends and children drove us in a 14-person van down to the Calakmul area, and then promptly picked us up two days later. The price they charged was very reasonable ($50 each person each way), and their welcoming spirit and cordial attitude pretty much saved our trip. Thank you, Abi and family!

I recommend this hotel beyond almost any I would report upon. If you need help while you're there, the management will go above and beyond to help you. What you find here is very rare in this era of cutting costs and impersonal technology. Stay here and put your mind at ease: that's what the excellent staff will want for you.

Room Tip: The piso ejecutivo rooms on the fourth floor cost a bit more, but they are a very quiet refuge set i...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel cannot be reserved through any of the booking sites we know. A reservation can only be made by telephone, they do not respond to e-mails.

I gave up booking this hotel, it is virtually impossible. I called them and was told that I can only book, if I give my credit card details. I started giving the details but once I was asked about the security number on the back of the card, I refused providing it. This is outrageous, in my personal view.

I asked whether it is possible to book without providing a credit card and was told that it is possible but the room will be available only until 18.00 on the day of arrival. This was alright for me and I sent an e-mail to confirm my booking. There was no answer and a Spanish speaking friend called and confirmed that I do not have a reservation. I sent three more e-mails in vain. A friend translated my e-mail in Spanish and there was still no answer.

This is all pity as the hotel looks good and the reviews are also good.

If anybody managed to reserve without giving sensitive information from their credit card, please let me know.

Good luck to those that plan to reserve!

PS Two weeks after my phone call, I had to block my credit card, because somebody booked five star hotel in New York with it. Is this a coincidence?

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elena K
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a very old hotel in the historic center of Campeche which has been recently renovated. The location is great, the beds were very comfortable, the sheets were crisp, plenty of comfy pillows, spacious bathroom, quiet air conditioning. I've stayed here on 2 occasions.
The only thing that I would say could be a problem for some travelers is that it does not have an elevator yet. They are still in the process of remodeling and I saw the space where they plan to put the elevator.

Room Tip: Since it is in the historic center of town it is surrounded on 3 sides by buildings so you won't...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yolanda1001
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I selected the Hotel Lopez for our stay in Campeche initially for several reasons. It's location in the historical center of Campeche and they had parking. I wanted to be able to drive into town, park the rental car and not have to worry about it. The only other thing I was a bit concerned about the hotel was I read that some of the rooms were small. I figured I'd take care of that by reserving a suite.

I'm happy to say that the location of the hotel was perfect, just a few blocks away from the plaza, shops and restaurants. The parking garage was right next to the hotel entrance, exactly what I wanted. The suite was super nice, very roomy, nicely furnished and with a very comfortable king sized bed.

The service from the hotel staff was great and the pool was really nice. We both really enjoyed our stay and thought it was a great value. We would stay at the Hotel Lopez again and would highly recommend it.

PS: We did have problems trying to make our reservation online. My wife speaks some Spanish, so she ended up calling them to make our reservation. I then used Facebook to communicate with the hotel to verify. A little unconventional, but it all worked out in the end.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MGG56
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This Washington a good hotel with Nice large roms. A mid size pool and situated in the Center of Campeche. The booking was not possible online but was made with a phone call to the hotel. Good value for money and great for a family with two kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family