All reviews best western hotel nice balcony business center overlooking the ocean fiesta inn coffee maker great location to walk big sea breakfast buffet was excellent view of the gulf of mexico comfortable room old city walls historical center room service loud music the main square malecon
Reviewed November 23, 2010

The Del Mar Hotel has spacious, clean and bright rooms. It has air conditioning, hairdryer, toiletries but no wash cloth. There is a flat screen TV in the room (need to ask for remote) and a balcony and it;s only a 5 minute walk to the Main Square.
There is a trolley ride on the Main Square for about 80 pesos for 45 minutes.
The hotel is also close to restaurants.

Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank sanjo008
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have not stayed at other hotels in this town, but this one is OK. Just OK, not great, rooms are kind of old, they're clean, no bad odors. In this town (all over the town) there are not many places that open early in the morning. Great location to walk around the old town, very picturesque.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2010

A real surprise find. THe Best Western brand is not generally know as top of the line in the USA. Found this property to be a wonderful exception. Nice marbeled lobby entrance with very friendly and enthusistic bellman and doormen to welcome. Front desk staff courtious and for most part helpful. Rooms very large with generous spacing of beds and additional sitting area with built in sofa and breakfast table, in addition to desk. Patio area. Decor tasteful. Good size, well appointent and functional bathroom. Restaurant convenient, but food was ordinary, service very attentive though. Only issue with hotel is that they have 1 guest room converted for a fitness center. Very hot, and very poorly equiped. Looks like something from the 1960's era. Nothing modern, mostly broken or damaged equipment, no treadmill, eliptical, nor any kind of cardio machine. Very little in the way of weight equipment and no universal type weight machine. Was a huge disappointment and unusable really. Wireless internet functioned well for the most part though sometimes dropped signal. Decent computer room for anyone in need, and a separate sort of executive lounge available for coffee/cocktails. Hotel very conveniently located to the historic city center (2 blocks) and just accross the street from the Malecon and Gulf of Mexico.
Overall, a great experience.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Dlinn
Reviewed August 17, 2010

On any return trip to the Yucatan, we will avoid Campeche if this hotel is the only option for a night’s stay. Our misadventure began with check-in: No key on check-in. The clerks at reception told us the attendant standing behind us would go with us to our auto and retrieve our luggage (no options) and take us to our room; we would be given our key at the room. We had made our reservations four months earlier and had requested a non-smoking room. The attendant received our key from another clerk stationed at a desk where we exited the elevator (serious security concerns?). The room (the only non-smoking room available) was a disaster: ceiling tile and wet insulation on the floor; strong, odor of mildew. The attendant had a look on his face of “will this room be acceptable?” And now the second part of the adventure: The only other room available was a smoking room…and here’s the exciting part. The Moon Handbook for the Yucatan Peninsula says: ”If a view is important to you, rooms facing the Gulf have small balconies and are worth the cost – ask for end units, nos. 221 and 222.” Aha! What about the nightclub directly beneath those rooms? The music and laughter went on until after 2:30 AM. Even though we were in the rooms directly above those mentioned, the noise was the same. At the time we thought the noise was just coming from a neighboring room, so couldn’t understand why the desk clerk said he couldn’t do anything about the noise. To close this on a positive aside: La Pigua, an excellent choice for dinner, was within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJColoSprgs
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Dear travellers,

I can only confirm the other critics - the hotel itself has a nice location, good rooms and would be recommend on its on.

But the management seems to be more on the untrustworthy (in my opinion possibly criminal) side.

I have booked the hotel with HotelClub (as many times before) and showed my voucher on check-in.

At check-out, I was told to pay for the night. I should them the documents once again and explained for nearly an hour (!). They told me they hadn't heard of the HotelClub procedure - but at one moment I was able to see that they had the HotelClub payment confirmation, printed out in their hands already !

After this long argument they told me that everything would be alright and paid for.

But as I checked my Credit Card statements today, I found out that they had invoiced my stay for the second time 14 days after my stay - this is incredible !

I have been travelling for years, but such a thing hasn't happened (esp. regarding a well established Hotel like this one - a Best Western franchise).

So - be careful here !